Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 12-25-2014, 04:03 AM   #1
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Review: Dead or Alive 5 Kasumi PVC by Griffon Enterprises

Merry Christmas. Here my present to y'all. I finally found time to scratch out a review. I plan on doing a few more reviews of PVC figures I have. But I thought I would start with one that still is available for purchase.

Kasumi (Kanji: 霞, Hiragana: かすみ, Rōmaji: Kasumi) is a runaway shinobi and former member of the Mugen Tenshin Ninja Clan, who debuted in the first Dead or Alive back during the 1996 arcade release. One of the original eight characters, Kasumi became the main protagonist of the Dead or Alive series (specifically in Dead or Alive, Dead or Alive 2, and Dead or Alive 5), and is often viewed as the series mascot. She was the winner of the first Dead or Alive Tournament. (from Dead or Alive Wiki)

SPECS
Name / Series: Kasumi / Dead or Alive 5
Character: Kasumi
Scale: Approximately 1/6
Edition Size: limited
Box Size [H / W / D] (inches): 13 x 7.5 x 6.5
Max. Dimensions [H / W / D] (inches):10.75 x 6 x 5.25
Producer: Griffon Enterprises
Original MSRP (JPY): 11,000 (approx. 93 USD)
Material: PVC with fabric cords on tassles
Designed and Sculpted By: Unknown

REVIEW
Design: 8
Also the Dead or Alive series evolved from simple graphics with bizarre bouncy breast physics to a sleak hi-defintion figther, the character designs have become more realistic but still retaining a bit of anime style. Griffon has translated the last DOA5 style to their new Kasumi. Kasumi has simple non-action pose. Designed with her ponytail and loincloths tossing in the breeze. In the rear, a slight "panty flash" shot for those with that popular Japanese fetish. Kasumi has a stearn look which might by in character for her, but lacks a bit of charm for a collectible.

Sculpt: 9
The sculpt accurately represents the DOA5 art style with proper figure proportions. While not requiring fine details, some finer wrinkles and creases in the stocks and outfit could have been added. Japanese PVC figures excel in sculpting hair. The flowing ponytail and "comb" bangs and expertly done. While I may not have many words to say on the sculpting, the doesn't take away from the expertise of the sculptor(s) in producing Kasumi in 3-D form.

Paint & Appliques: 9
Painting seems to be where Japanese PVC figures excel over resin figures. I assume that PVC is also hand painted, yet there lines are clean and sharp. The eyes are crisply painted and her top and flesh have been delicately shaded by airbrush. The appliques of Kasumi's well known crane designs have been accurately reproduced. The appliques on her armbands and footguards provide detailed decoration. I'm not sure how the appliques are applied as I do not see any edges like a water slide decal. Paint colors are accurate in representing the game character.

Production & Build Quality: 8
The figure is solidly constructed of PVC and mold lines are removed or well-hidden. There are no glue marks or sprue marks. The statue comes in two parts, the figure and the simple base. While the simple base design is common for many Japanese market PVC figures, Kasumi's base is a bit too plain with no logo or character name like some other Griffon figures I own. The base is sufficiently size from keeping the figure from topping over. Four color retail box comes with display windows. The figure and base are wrapped in plastic. The figure and base were received free from any scratches.

Final Comments:
This is the first DOA figure from Griffon. I do hope the make more as I have always been a fan of the female character designs from DOA over Tekken. Griffon offers us an affordable representation of fan-favorite DoA girl. This is, I believe the DOA5 representation of Kasumi. So this maybe the only option at the moment.

For those unfamiliar, Griffon is a major PVC figure maker in the Japanese market. Unlike some companies like Yamato and Kotobukiya, Griffon products are not distributed in the U.S. So these must be purchased direct from a Japanese retailer like Hobby Search or can be found from U.S. retailers who import them from Japan. I prefer buying form HobbySearch as even with EMS shipping, it is still cheaper than buying from a U.S. retailer.

Overall Score: 8.5

jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:04 AM   #2
jedi_don

Old 12-25-2014, 04:05 AM   #3
jedi_don

Old 12-25-2014, 04:08 AM   #4
jedi_don

Old 12-25-2014, 04:38 AM   #5
El Pulento
The InJustice League

Thanks for the pics and Review!
El Pulento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Hi Jedi_don,
thank you for posting this great review! I loved the pics and think your review is entertaining, fun to read and honest.
I think Kasumi is awesome and means a lot from a guy who has always been primiraly a Tekken-fan!

Keep up the good work!

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote