Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 10-25-2016, 03:51 PM   #51
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
I didn't really mean horsepower wise.

Despite NVIDIA claiming it to be based on the same architecture they then go on to tell of the new API, libraries, and engines.

Even if it were identical the ARM processor makes it different enough that for the low level design many games are optimized with would be a nightmare to port from an x86 to this.
Developers aren't going to shed the cash when they have already invested so much to reach 90% of the gaming audience with XBOX One/PS4/PC.

I mean for all this to matter Nintendo will have to master their tech and making statements that it's too hard to make an HD Metroid when your fan base requests it tells me they aren't where they need to be.
I see what you're saying. The question is will it be close enough or easy enough to learn the tools to have real Third party support.

Well Nintendo seems to think so, and while pledge support isn't really binding, I'm hoping the companies have already been working with the Devkits and know that they can support since this thing launches in 6 months.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #52
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningRage View Post
I love Metroid but those games are not system sellers. Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Mario platformers are their biggest system sellers.
Totally true! But it's not enough to sell a business.
Let me say that I buy ALL home Video Game systems.

Haven't bought the Wii U yet, of course I will. The only games I want are New Super Mario Bros. U (with the Luigi add on), Bayonetta 2, and Super Mario Maker.
MAYBE Star Fox. All of those will be at discounts FAR past release.

Those system sellers don't recoup their costs or give them the income Nintendo needs. Zelda's a system seller and I think there's a bigger following for truly GOOD Metroid games than in the past. For it to be 4 years and still no Zelda and WAY longer for Metroid shows that Nintendo doesn't have making the games figured out. A good Metroid would be a top selling game. So why hasn't Nintendo cashed in at some point in the near decade since Metroid Prime 3? Saying it's "too hard" is nonsense.

The days are gone where people bought a Wii just to see what all the hype was about.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #53
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Totally true! But it's not enough to sell a business.
Let me say that I buy ALL home Video Game systems.

Haven't bought the Wii U yet, of course I will. The only games I want are New Super Mario Bros. U (with the Luigi add on), Bayonetta 2, and Super Mario Maker.
MAYBE Star Fox. All of those will be at discounts FAR past release.

Those system sellers don't recoup their costs or give them the income Nintendo needs. Zelda's a system seller and I think there's a bigger following for truly GOOD Metroid games than in the past. For it to be 4 years and still no Zelda and WAY longer for Metroid shows that Nintendo doesn't have making the games figured out. A good Metroid would be a top selling game. So why hasn't Nintendo cashed in at some point in the near decade since Metroid Prime 3? Saying it's "too hard" is nonsense.

The days are gone where people bought a Wii just to see what all the hype was about.
Well Zelda: Breath of the Wild looks and is being touted as a huge game. Now if they don't have it ready for launch then I'd say they've gone and jumped off a cliff they can't really come back from. But if it's ready by March, they may really have something.

In reality they should have Zelda, the New Mario, Mario Cart and Splatoon all ready at launch if they really want to make a splash, but...as you said...It's Nintendo.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:40 PM   #54
BurningRage
Inhumans

There's usually one to two Zelda home console games each generation. It's not COD. The company that made Metroid Prime made DK Country Returns and it sold better than the Metroid Prime games. This is just like when people say that want statue companies to make a character they like and think it would sell when in fact it won't. A new Metroid is not gonna to sell 5+ million copies.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #55
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningRage View Post
There's usually one to two Zelda home console games each generation. It's not COD. The company that made Metroid Prime made DK Country Returns and it sold better than the Metroid Prime games. This is just like when people say that want statue companies to make a character they like and think it would sell when in fact it won't. A new Metroid is not gonna to sell 5+ million copies.
No it isn't and it shouldn't need to.
A Metroid game should be just another solid entry in Nintendo's stable that appeals to all gamers.
Metroid was successful and so too would a new release.

Even kids don't want to only play Nintendo's kiddie franchises.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:57 PM   #56
Valkyrie
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Wasn't the last entry in the Metroid series, "Other M" by Team Ninja six years ago?

Never played it but I thought I heard it wasn't very well received by fans. I'm not sure how the sales were either but I'm guessing not up to Nintendo's expectations. That could be another reason why the series has been on hiatus.

Going by Prime Trilogy and Other M, they seem to like handing the franchise over to other developers. It's like they don't know what to do with the series.

I wouldn't mind if they just went back to their roots and make a blockbuster 2D action side-scroller. That might win back a lot of the retro fans and gain some new ones that enjoy playing a lot of the Metroidvania-style indie games out there now.
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:08 PM   #57
Python
Omega Red

If Nintendo want a boost in funds, all they need do is release the Metroid Prime trilogy on PC...

This (Console?) does look interesting, but also runs the risk of being gimmicky, time will tell. The N64 is my best memory from my console days, and of my childhood in general maybe, so I do have a soft spot for the company.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #58
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

IGN reported a possible price leak from a Canadian Toys r us. Looks like $249.99 in USD.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #59
Luminous
Cyclops

The Nintendo Switch launches on March 3rd, 2017 for $299. Pre-orders went live today.

Managed to secure one but it seems most major retailers are out of stock now.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #60
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Looks good, but not something I need at launch. Probably wait till summer or later in 2017 to grab one
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote