Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

What a way to raise a kid

So apparently a few days ago, my daughter and some of her friends went out late at night while over at a friends house and tp'd some houses and unfortunately someone brought some eggs also. The next day, word got around and the girls pretty much admitted that they had done it since they got caught at one of the houses during the night. One of the parents called me since my daughter was the one driving (which she won't be doing for a bit I should add) and she was rather upset. I told my daughter to get all the friends and go over and apologize which they did. That was yesterday. Today, another person called me and said he and another person whose house was tpd and egged had already called the police and were going to press charges for vandalism. I let him have his say since the police will most likely not do anything about it. I did tell my daughter, after telling her what her punishment will be for using eggs, that if something does happen, she has to deal with it. She did the crime, she has to do the time. I called some of the other parents just to let them know the situation since I had my doubts their daughters had admitted everything. Well, one mother told he flat out that she was going to tell her daughter to lie and say that she was in the truck the whole time and did not participate. She then called another mother whose daughter is going to say the same lie. WTF, do we really want to teach our kids that if you do something wrong, that it's okay to lie if you want to get away with it. I will do whatever I need to do to protect my daughter but if she did something she knew perfectly well was wrong, she needs to live with the repercussions.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
MrYac
Hercules

sucks Joe but thats the world we live in, i'm glad you're sticking to your guns on this one, i can't stand vandals so let's hope the girls all learn a lesson and don't do this crap again
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
sucks Joe but thats the world we live in, i'm glad you're sticking to your guns on this one, i can't stand vandals so let's hope the girls all learn a lesson and don't do this crap again
from my daughters point, she has definitely been scared straight, some of the other girls are obviously being taught that it's okay and here's how you get away with it.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
MrYac
Hercules

well you're doing a better job of raising her then the others then
Old 08-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Accountability, responsibility, respect, honesty, decision making ... seems that parents don't put value on these things any more. I was raised to see these as very important and will raise my kids the same way. Trust me, I was not saint and I was always made to live up to my decisions which I an thankful to my parents for. I applaud your standards Steve - I am astonished that the other families are telling/teaching their kids to lie.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #6
ratchet
Mandarin

That really sucks - I am not surprised at all - and it certainly teaches the girls the wrong lesson. Good on you Steve for being a voice of reason - at least your kids will grow up with a moral compass pointed in the right direction.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #7
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Accountability, responsibility, respect, honesty, decision making ... seems that parents don't put value on these things any more. I was raised to see these as very important and will raise my kids the same way. Trust me, I was not saint and I was always made to live up to my decisions which I an thankful to my parents for. I applaud your standards Steve - I am astonished that the other families are telling/teaching their kids to lie.
a big problem is parents really don't seem to take any shame from their childrens bad examples, my parents would've been mortified if i had ever been brought home by the cops, hell my mother would've been if i acted up in a restaurant the way kids today do, and they sure as hell would've made sure i knew it. but these days it seems almost nothing phases the parents, and if it doesn't effect them what hope is it going to effect the kids
Old 08-06-2011, 12:14 AM   #8
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
a big problem is parents really don't seem to take any shame from their childrens bad examples, my parents would've been mortified if i had ever been brought home by the cops, hell my mother would've been if i acted up in a restaurant the way kids today do, and they sure as hell would've made sure i knew it. but these days it seems almost nothing phases the parents, and if it doesn't effect them what hope is it going to effect the kids
good point, I guess if the parents think lying is the best choice it may be a lost cause ... sigh

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #9
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Better to learn that your actions have consequences now, over a relatively minor matter, than lie and get away with it only to have to learn the lesson when the stakes may be much more serious.

Don't let what the other parents are doing be your concern and deal with what you can control.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:48 AM   #10
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I remember a time I stole a pencil sharpener from a shop as a kid at the age of about 5, just saw it, wanted it, put it in my pocket like kids do at that age.

When my mum found out she marched me all the way back, made me give it back and apologise. The shopkeeper laughed it off and wanted me to keep it, but my mum said no and gave it back.

She then grounded me for a week, and made me take the value of the pencil sharpener out of my pocket money/allowance and put it in a charity collectors box.

I thought she was being harsh at the time, but I'd do exactly the same with my kids I think.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote