Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
Colossus
Loki

forum idea

Hey I have been thinking about it and it really seems like there are 100-200 people that are constantly chatting on the forum and 3800 lurkers just sitting there watching what others type about thinking to themselves either that guy is right or he has no clue or whatever. But they choose to sit there and just watch. I think that Drod should make the main part of the forum to have a requirement of say 25 or 50 posts nothing too big but enough that people get used to talking and leave like this and the other general stuff open for people to get their toes wet into posting. I just think it is kind of silly that 2000 people have never posted, which I think is crap especially when all of a sudden a topic comes up that they feel strongly about (usually in disagreement) and all of a sudden they say something that is supposed to mean some great deal of knowledge that they have over the rest. It is like the Silent Bob theory about never saying anything and then the one time they do speak it is supposed to have a cosmic enlightenment? I say make it where they have to be an "active" part of the community to get to the meaty part of the forum and see where sneak peaks, exclusive anouncements, arguements, and fun chat really come into play.

I have been on this board for almost 2 years and almost since it started, I did not post much in the begining maybe 15-20 posts a month I talked and became active, and now I love this place. I think others would too if they became more active.

My .02 cents
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Sorry, but that's just the nature of forums. There are people who post and there are people who lurk. Why would you care that there are lurkers out there? And why would we try to force people to post. I like the idea of people posting when they have something to say and not just to post for the hell of it. If anything, with some of the nonsense that gets posted I'd love to get some folks to stop. When a lurker is ready to post he/she will and I don't think we would ever consider forcing people to do so for any reason.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
Ish
Kindly Asked To Leave

maybe a welcome thread, fo a new memeber if he don't start it then someone else, that should bring him out.
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Colossus
Loki

Zurb I am not trying to start trouble, just that just like anything else the more that get involved usually the better something becomes (which some exceptions like ck13 ) and it is also always easier to sit the side lines and watch the game rather than play in it, ohh thats a bad call yadda yadda yadda, I say get involved make their ideas heard I have just seen in many threads where all of a sudden a topic is hit and someone with a 1 post count comes and says how stupid of an idea something is and goes on a two page rant about it, and they say they have been lurking for over a year! I know it doesn't matter it is how it is, just would like to see more involved.
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus
Zurb I am not trying to start trouble, just that just like anything else the more that get involved usually the better something becomes (which some exceptions like ck13 ) and it is also always easier to sit the side lines and watch the game rather than play in it, ohh thats a bad call yadda yadda yadda, I say get involved make their ideas heard I have just seen in many threads where all of a sudden a topic is hit and someone with a 1 post count comes and says how stupid of an idea something is and goes on a two page rant about it, and they say they have been lurking for over a year! I know it doesn't matter it is how it is, just would like to see more involved.
I didn't think you were starting trouble, no problem. And your last post seems to agree with the fact that a lurker, when he is ready and has something to say, will come out and say it. So why try and force them to? There are probably a lot of lurkers out there who look at our forum, read the threads, get their information and that's all they want out of it. And that's fine. I've gone to other places looking for info with no real desire to post. Some of those forums are good enough that you want to go back regularly. I think we're like that and along with our regular posters we've got our regular lurkers. I just don't see the need to require or expect lurkers to post.

Now if only CK13 would stop posting.....
Old 07-18-2006, 11:21 AM   #6
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1
...Now if only CK13 would stop posting.....
At this point, though, if he did stop it'd be a completely different forum. His personality has permeated this place prett thoroughly. I'm not sure we'd recognize it anymore if he stopped.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:27 AM   #7
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
At this point, though, if he did stop it'd be a completely different forum. His personality has permeated this place prett thoroughly. I'm not sure we'd recognize it anymore if he stopped.
I'll take my chances.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
Jesse321
Galactus

At the old BOP forum .. we had a section called "The Dark Horse Bar" which was a section exclusively dedicated to new people introducing themselves, and served as a question and answer section for new members. Maybe that would be a good idea here, as well.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #9
rychehitman
Galactus

There have been several nebies popping up here and there, but the overall amount of Lurkers is AMAZING!

I wonder what stops them from posting?

Maybe the MODS should take the time to personally e-mail each new person to sign up. Like a personalized Welcome, with helpful hints!

I nominate Bullseye!
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
Daywalker
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

id rather have ppl lurk then have their only post to be soley pluging their ebay auctions
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote