Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 08-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #21
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Well TC you can pretty much be assured that the paint apps on Sideshow's version won't look as good as their prototype so I would go with XM. Plus, I like the pose better on the XM version anyway.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #22
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor57 View Post
I think I like SS better on this one.
To be fair the XM Iron Man is under those yellow fluorescent lights that make the statue colors not look so good...

I like them both, but I'm always worried SS is going to botch the paint app. on the production versions..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #23
Thor57
Teen Titans

Yeah, the thing tripping me up is XMs colors look to cartoony. And that's fine normally, but if we are talking movie versions with RDJs face, I need realism.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #24
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor57 View Post
Yeah, the thing tripping me up is XMs colors look to cartoony. And that's fine normally, but if we are talking movie versions with RDJs face, I need realism.
Under the right lighting it looks way better..

built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #25
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
Well TC you can pretty much be assured that the paint apps on Sideshow's version won't look as good as their prototype so I would go with XM. Plus, I like the pose better on the XM version anyway.
See I am the exact opposite on the pose. I will always take a dynamic pose over a more standard museum one. Now the paints I agree with you 100% Viper...who knows what to expect from SS when it arrives.

Here is my positives and negatives for each.

Sideshow

Positives:
1) Legacy is doing it so it should be exact replica
2) Much more dynamic pose
3) Costs much less
4) Better base
5) Fits in line with the other IM armors SS is doing

Negatives:
1) The facial likeness is pretty lackluster with the faceplate off.
2) Can you trust the finished paint job and QC on it?
3) Light up is gimmicky and will break down at some point thus devaluing the statue
4) This will probably be eggshell thin.
5) Extremely high ES makes this easy to get and less collectible (from a rarity standpoint).

XM Studios

Positives:
1) Lots of interchangeable parts (Pepper and Stark heads, switch out arms)
2) Just about guaranteed a great finished paint job.
3) Solid accuracy to the reference material (elbow color is being addressed according to XM)
4) Solidly built statue (no eggshell thinness here)
5) Facial likeness of Stark is excellently done...as well as Pepper's likeness.
6) Extremely low 500 ES (makes it highly collectible).

Negatives:
1) Pretty stiff and straightforward pose....kind of bland.
2) High cost for one of the least favorite IM armors (although the armor is growing on me)
3) Lackluster simple round base
4) No cohesion with the movie IM MK 7 armor being done. Two totally different bases and mix match poses).

With that being said...I just want to note I think both IMs look pretty awesome in their own rights. I for one prefer dynamic poses, and cohesion with groups. I think if XM went the route of both the IM MK 42 and IM MK 7 being in similar poses on similar bases and maybe making a hall of IM armors....I would be all in for it. The XM MK42 is a really well done statue...and I have been debating on getting it just because I know the finished product will be exquisite and look nice as well as maybe being a completest on the XM Marvel line of stuff they do. But I will feel upset if the SS legacy IM comes out poorly and I miss this IM.

The IM MK 42 got lots of good buzz from people that have seen it in person at the shows and the fact it is sold out with a low ES may make this worth it.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #26
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Great post Stoney and I can't argue with anything you stated. I will just say that I have been burned too many times on the QC on Sideshow's IM pieces so I have no confidence they can deliver an acceptable product. Having Legacy involved means nothing if the production quality isn!t acceptable.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #27
Titanchuck
Cyclops
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
That's for certain the production piece won't be close and the ES will be astronomical
Titanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #28
epitaph04
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

This statue is perfect I think. I love the pose, the likeness is solid (definitely not perfect), and the paint looks great. Can't wait to get it.

Really wish it had some light up though.

epitaph04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #29
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I just want to see the final, released Pepper sculpt. Between this and hopefully a Hot Toys version for me.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:27 AM   #30
Statueloverlee
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I also ordered this already. I have see it in person. Nice statue!!! At the beginning, I dont like its pose but now I feel the pose is great! Just like the pose in the movie. Hear that the color in the final product even better than the one I saw. Cant wait to get it! Will take the photo and share here when I get it!!
Statueloverlee is offline   Reply With Quote