Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 11-10-2015, 10:31 PM   #1591
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROBAY View Post
Got mine from Amazon. Amazons famous sh!tty packaging of course. They put mine in an oversized box with a 8" piece of tissue paper (probly included to wipe your tears from their packaging). The color box was banged to hell the Styro shows battle damage but the statue was in one piece. Luck of the draw I guess.

This comment cracked me up. Glad to hear the statue didn't get damaged in the transit. I was unaware Amazon did poor shipping for these things. I'll keep that in mind.
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:12 AM   #1592
SebaSan1981
Frackin!

My statue was delivered by UPS. No scratches in box, no issues. Awesome awesomness
SebaSan1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #1593
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post

This comment cracked me up. Glad to hear the statue didn't get damaged in the transit. I was unaware Amazon did poor shipping for these things. I'll keep that in mind.
It's hit and miss with statues it seems. For some statues they pack well. Maybe it depends on the person shipping. But once for an old TMNT statue they didn't even bother using a shipper box! They just sent the statue with a shipping label on the art box! Which in the end is safer than putting the art box into a shipper box with little to no cushioning I guess.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #1594
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROBAY View Post
Got mine from Amazon. Amazons famous sh!tty packaging of course. They put mine in an oversized box with a 8" piece of tissue paper (probly included to wipe your tears from their packaging). The color box was banged to hell the Styro shows battle damage but the statue was in one piece. Luck of the draw I guess.
It's good to read yours arrived in one piece. Congrats!

The thing that strikes me is that your art box and styrofoam was all banged up yet your statue arrived in one piece and the packaging on mine looked pristine yet my statue arrived with a broken arm. I guess if the package is dropped just right in transit, the breaks happen.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #1595
ReplicantSavior

Thoughts on Whisper...

She's finally here. And let's get this out of the way first. The constant delays were completely unacceptable. I pre-ordered a little over two years ago with an original scheduled release date of I believe 2nd quarter 2014. After she missed the original date, the constant next quarter and next quarter delays began. After early 2015 or so I stopped listening to the shipping updates. They were just going to be wrong anyway. The delay was so long that where I ordered Whisper from wasn't even charging tax in my state back then. The delays cost me money that I could have used elsewhere. At this point it's safe to say I'll never get another Gentle Giant statue again because of how what I believe is their flagship line was handled. But at least I got Whisper for as cheap as possible. For example I got Whisper for lower than the price Sideshow is going to for current PFs and their new Red Sonja. Which is a deal. Still, a year and a half delay...That's crazy. I don't think there is a statue out there that's been delayed that long and few things are worth that kind of wait. But anyway after all that, I finally have Whisper...

Early pics reminded me of Sideshow's first Red Sonja with the darker paint job and I was ready to really cut loose. But Whisper is no where near as bad as that Red Sonja. Even Gentle Giant couldn't photo her well for the box art. But at least they used photos of the actual statue. A question is did the factory send Whisper to the Gentle Giant offices for pics? And if so, who saw this updated production sample, photographed it, created the box art, decided it was close enough to the original prototype, and then thought to not update the order page or forums with new pics similar to what Sideshow now does when they receive production samples? It's baffling after all this time and delays that it wasn't even a consideration. Did they just say hell with it, this is good enough? Who knows...

I think most here know that Gentle Giant touched up some of their site images of Whisper on both the normal and variant. But even with that knowledge, their site images and Comic Con pics don't look that different. The released Whisper's facial look is different. I'm not sure why either. The sculpt seems the same from what I can tell. But Whisper lost some detail in her expression. I'm not a painter. But whatever the original prototype had that enhanced her lifelike look isn't as present on the final version. Her face is more neutral and not as arrogant or superior like the prototype. Still very pretty but just different. The variant wasn't like this. I remember asking if the variant was made in the US. No one that has her here responded. I've seen pictures of the box but didn't see made in China. Maybe the variant was painted in the US? Or maybe since the variant was an edition of only 100, the top artists at the China factory could be placed on the job? Again who knows...

Physically Whisper is one of the most beautiful and lifelike female statues I own. Quarter scale makes her very impressive. Few statues are on this level. Only statues of a couple other female characters could possibly top her. One is the coming Red Sonja by the same sculptor. She looks to have the same sort of realistic detailing as Whisper. As I've mentioned before I would love to see him sculpt Black Canary. That would be another one if she's more realistic and not comic. Not that a comic look is bad. But it's just about heightened realism. The textures in the sculpt. More and more sculptors seem to be doing it but this is the first I've seen up close in quarter scale. The twisting Octopus tattoo, transparent wet suit, and highly detailed scuba gear just enhance that realism. Physically she's just a really cool design.

Although Whisper's sculpt is beautiful and the details are amazing. And let's be honest, for the retail price they should be. There should also be zero issues from the factory. Yet, I still see some on my piece. For example:

1. A little glue rub on the back of her wet suit probably during assembly of all the pieces.

2. Some small odd lines. I'm not sure if they are paint. I've seen these on Sideshow statues at times and a little rubbing with warm water can remove them.

3. Other small paint issues. There is some paint on the strap that holds her spear gun. Also some small rubbing on her suit from from the scuba gear that probably happened during transport. Picky things. Stuff I would let slide on a Sideshow piece knowing that it could be worse on a replacement.

4. I don't think her goggles were placed on accurately. Mine aren't fully flush on one side. You can only tell if you are looking at it from above though.

5. Her spear hand isn't completely flush on her inner wrist. I might need to see if the hole is completely clean though.

6. No problems with screws on the base. I really hate using screws though. Having to put Whisper on a pillow just like Sweat Pea and screw in a heavy base to a fragile statue is not ideal. I don't think any other statue company out there uses screws.

7. Not really issues but small changes that I've noticed so far. For example, the lower part of her goggles are different. It was a black color on the prototype version and white the released statue. Also her spear gun is black where she's holding it on prototype and silver on the released version.

I know price is relative. But if we could talk about retail price compared to other statues and what the market is now doing, I think she's just not worth $669 plus shipping and taxes, so around $700, for the normal or variant. The overall presentation and high end statue experience is no where near what I've seen from XM Studios in unboxing videos. I've yet to see an XM Studios piece in person but from videos they look impressive.

When Whisper was first previewed she was one of the few at this level of detail that I can remember. But now many are at this level and they are not charging $700. I knew Sideshow wouldn't charge $700 for Red Sonja which is also by the same sculptor. First4Figures Simon Belmont looks fantastic and is not $700. None of the XM Studios pieces that I've checked start as high in Singapore Dollars as Whisper. Phoenix and Magneto are close but those come with detailed bases, a print, change of portraits, high end packaging, and instructions. Add in that Honey Trap is an unlicensed property and you really start questioning the price tag.

For the price she needs a base. Yes she's very detailed with tattoos and scuba gear but to just have a simple circle base for $700? Nope. To give a hint at what I'm going to do to spice up the base all you have to do is note the background and where Bond is most of the time in the movie. That's going to be my base mod.

I don't think I mentioned it as not to jinx things but I really thought Whisper and the whole line was going to be cancelled. That Gentle Giant was going to pull a Sideshow and hope people would forget like with Quorra and maybe one day say "oh we cancelled that because there wasn't enough interest." After all as of this writing Gentle Giant's site for Whisper still says "Pre-Order - Q2 2015 Release" although availability does list in stock, the edition size is still TBD when I have her sitting right here with a 600 edition size card. Of course the old pics are still up too. Let's not forget that the Honey Trap Army site is still down and no comics or any other storyline for that matter was released.

In the end, I think if you paid $700 and expected the facial sculpt of the prototype, and why wouldn't you for the price and after seeing the variant? I don't see how one couldn't be a bit disappointed. But for me, I still like the normal more than the variant. Even with the differences she's still awesome. I always liked the darker look like she was about to go on a night spy mission dive. That she's beautiful yet not the sort of woman you would mess around with. Besides I didn't think they went far enough with the Bond homage on the variant. I posted about that before here and in her variant thread. However, if those reasons aren't true for you and if you didn't get an amazing deal like I did, then maybe that money on the normal should go towards the more rare and accurate to prototype variant or maybe even Red Sonja.

** Note on a few pics, I used flash to see if it would make her look like prototype at SDCC. I knew it wouldn't but I was just curious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Whisper_1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	93310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Whisper_2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	93311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Whisper_3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	93312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Whisper_4.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	93313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Whisper_5.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	93314  

ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #1596
grphyx1
Kingpin

You know replicantSavior, this is a tough one. she is a beautifully rendered statue despite not looking exactly like the prototype. she looks like she required quite a bit of post sculpt assembly. I'm certain if she was priced differently there would not be this much of a deflated feeling among some that purchased her. She is pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
Thoughts on Whisper...

She's finally here. And let's get this out of the way first. The constant delays were completely unacceptable. I pre-ordered a little over two years ago with an original scheduled release date of I believe 2nd quarter 2014. After she missed the original date, the constant next quarter and next quarter delays began. After early 2015 or so I stopped listening to the shipping updates. They were just going to be wrong anyway. The delay was so long that where I ordered Whisper from wasn't even charging tax in my state back then. The delays cost me money that I could have used elsewhere. At this point it's safe to say I'll never get another Gentle Giant statue again because of how what I believe is their flagship line was handled. But at least I got Whisper for as cheap as possible. For example I got Whisper for lower than the price Sideshow is going to for current PFs and their new Red Sonja. Which is a deal. Still, a year and a half delay...That's crazy. I don't think there is a statue out there that's been delayed that long and few things are worth that kind of wait. But anyway after all that, I finally have Whisper...

Early pics reminded me of Sideshow's first Red Sonja with the darker paint job and I was ready to really cut loose. But Whisper is no where near as bad as that Red Sonja. Even Gentle Giant couldn't photo her well for the box art. But at least they used photos of the actual statue. A question is did the factory send Whisper to the Gentle Giant offices for pics? And if so, who saw this updated production sample, photographed it, created the box art, decided it was close enough to the original prototype, and then thought to not update the order page or forums with new pics similar to what Sideshow now does when they receive production samples? It's baffling after all this time and delays that it wasn't even a consideration. Did they just say hell with it, this is good enough? Who knows...

I think most here know that Gentle Giant touched up some of their site images of Whisper on both the normal and variant. But even with that knowledge, their site images and Comic Con pics don't look that different. The released Whisper's facial look is different. I'm not sure why either. The sculpt seems the same from what I can tell. But Whisper lost some detail in her expression. I'm not a painter. But whatever the original prototype had that enhanced her lifelike look isn't as present on the final version. Her face is more neutral and not as arrogant or superior like the prototype. Still very pretty but just different. The variant wasn't like this. I remember asking if the variant was made in the US. No one that has her here responded. I've seen pictures of the box but didn't see made in China. Maybe the variant was painted in the US? Or maybe since the variant was an edition of only 100, the top artists at the China factory could be placed on the job? Again who knows...

Physically Whisper is one of the most beautiful and lifelike female statues I own. Quarter scale makes her very impressive. Few statues are on this level. Only statues of a couple other female characters could possibly top her. One is the coming Red Sonja by the same sculptor. She looks to have the same sort of realistic detailing as Whisper. As I've mentioned before I would love to see him sculpt Black Canary. That would be another one if she's more realistic and not comic. Not that a comic look is bad. But it's just about heightened realism. The textures in the sculpt. More and more sculptors seem to be doing it but this is the first I've seen up close in quarter scale. The twisting Octopus tattoo, transparent wet suit, and highly detailed scuba gear just enhance that realism. Physically she's just a really cool design.

Although Whisper's sculpt is beautiful and the details are amazing. And let's be honest, for the retail price they should be. There should also be zero issues from the factory. Yet, I still see some on my piece. For example:

1. A little glue rub on the back of her wet suit probably during assembly of all the pieces.

2. Some small odd lines. I'm not sure if they are paint. I've seen these on Sideshow statues at times and a little rubbing with warm water can remove them.

3. Other small paint issues. There is some paint on the strap that holds her spear gun. Also some small rubbing on her suit from from the scuba gear that probably happened during transport. Picky things. Stuff I would let slide on a Sideshow piece knowing that it could be worse on a replacement.

4. I don't think her goggles were placed on accurately. Mine aren't fully flush on one side. You can only tell if you are looking at it from above though.

5. Her spear hand isn't completely flush on her inner wrist. I might need to see if the hole is completely clean though.

6. No problems with screws on the base. I really hate using screws though. Having to put Whisper on a pillow just like Sweat Pea and screw in a heavy base to a fragile statue is not ideal. I don't think any other statue company out there uses screws.

7. Not really issues but small changes that I've noticed so far. For example, the lower part of her goggles are different. It was a black color on the prototype version and white the released statue. Also her spear gun is black where she's holding it on prototype and silver on the released version.

I know price is relative. But if we could talk about retail price compared to other statues and what the market is now doing, I think she's just not worth $669 plus shipping and taxes, so around $700, for the normal or variant. The overall presentation and high end statue experience is no where near what I've seen from XM Studios in unboxing videos. I've yet to see an XM Studios piece in person but from videos they look impressive.

When Whisper was first previewed she was one of the few at this level of detail that I can remember. But now many are at this level and they are not charging $700. I knew Sideshow wouldn't charge $700 for Red Sonja which is also by the same sculptor. First4Figures Simon Belmont looks fantastic and is not $700. None of the XM Studios pieces that I've checked start as high in Singapore Dollars as Whisper. Phoenix and Magneto are close but those come with detailed bases, a print, change of portraits, high end packaging, and instructions. Add in that Honey Trap is an unlicensed property and you really start questioning the price tag.

For the price she needs a base. Yes she's very detailed with tattoos and scuba gear but to just have a simple circle base for $700? Nope. To give a hint at what I'm going to do to spice up the base all you have to do is note the background and where Bond is most of the time in the movie. That's going to be my base mod.

I don't think I mentioned it as not to jinx things but I really thought Whisper and the whole line was going to be cancelled. That Gentle Giant was going to pull a Sideshow and hope people would forget like with Quorra and maybe one day say "oh we cancelled that because there wasn't enough interest." After all as of this writing Gentle Giant's site for Whisper still says "Pre-Order - Q2 2015 Release" although availability does list in stock, the edition size is still TBD when I have her sitting right here with a 600 edition size card. Of course the old pics are still up too. Let's not forget that the Honey Trap Army site is still down and no comics or any other storyline for that matter was released.

In the end, I think if you paid $700 and expected the facial sculpt of the prototype, and why wouldn't you for the price and after seeing the variant? I don't see how one couldn't be a bit disappointed. But for me, I still like the normal more than the variant. Even with the differences she's still awesome. I always liked the darker look like she was about to go on a night spy mission dive. That she's beautiful yet not the sort of woman you would mess around with. Besides I didn't think they went far enough with the Bond homage on the variant. I posted about that before here and in her variant thread. However, if those reasons aren't true for you and if you didn't get an amazing deal like I did, then maybe that money on the normal should go towards the more rare and accurate to prototype variant or maybe even Red Sonja.

** Note on a few pics, I used flash to see if it would make her look like prototype at SDCC. I knew it wouldn't but I was just curious.
grphyx1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:39 PM   #1597
built2shred
Phoenix

$700?!? Wow, I only paid around $500 for mine....
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:49 PM   #1598
Finisher
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
Thoughts on Whisper...

Thanks for comment and pics.

But a statue looking so bored... it made me even moving it from Watchlist-A to Watchlist-B. What is sad for a possible buy.
I'll never ever understand why companies dont set HIGH focus on face, eyes and facial expression. This "little" detail ruins so many statues...
Finisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:49 PM   #1599
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

I received my backup Whisper I ordered from Spec Fiction (first one was from Amazon). Other than the obligatory broken flipper strap (easily fixed by superglue), the only thing I noticed wrong is a broken tip of one of the blades on the spear tip. I guess it happened at the factory as there is nothing in the box that could cause the tip to chip like that. We I decide to resell this someday, I'll have to repair it. Such a shame a little thing like that.

jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:08 PM   #1600
VS1976

Just got mine from spec and no issues. Thanks TJ for taking extra care.

She is definitely well worth it especially if you can get her for $500. The detail is amazing. Love the translucent costume which shows her octopus tattoo. I wish the base was a tad smaller and not a screw on. One of GG best statues to date. Can't wait for lucky and Derby.

If it's wasn't for the bland base, I would give this statue a 10/10. So 9.5/10 is what I would give it. Well worth the pickup if you like female statues sculpts.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote