Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 11-13-2015, 01:06 AM   #1601
Spec Fiction
Speculative Fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
I received my backup Whisper I ordered from Spec Fiction (first one was from Amazon). Other than the obligatory broken flipper strap (easily fixed by superglue), the only thing I noticed wrong is a broken tip of one of the blades on the spear tip. I guess it happened at the factory as there is nothing in the box that could cause the tip to chip like that. We I decide to resell this someday, I'll have to repair it. Such a shame a little thing like that.

Send pics to me and I'll see if I can get a replacement spear
Old 11-13-2015, 01:54 AM   #1602
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Fiction View Post
Send pics to me and I'll see if I can get a replacement spear
Email sent. Thanks.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:55 PM   #1603
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
You know replicantSavior, this is a tough one. she is a beautifully rendered statue despite not looking exactly like the prototype. she looks like she required quite a bit of post sculpt assembly. I'm certain if she was priced differently there would not be this much of a deflated feeling among some that purchased her. She is pretty.
She definitely required a lot of assembly steps. She's not the sort of statue that I think you'll see repainted by other artists out there. Removing all her gear would be a nightmare most likely.

I think the 2 year wait and price for something not like the prototype when the variant was for the most part like the images (which I believe were shown before the release version at SDCC) is where I have a major problem. For me the line is now essentially dead. I only wanted Whisper. I think most around here and elsewhere thought Whisper was the most impressive one. Even if Gentle Giant and the China factory get the other girls right. At this point, I think only the people who collect full sets will want them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
$700?!? Wow, I only paid around $500 for mine....
$700 retail if not more if you purchased direct from Gentle Giant. Although I hope since there is the Internet that people know how to shop around. Still $669 + shipping and taxes is what Gentle Giant is charging. I paid less than $500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finisher View Post
Thanks for comment and pics.

But a statue looking so bored... it made me even moving it from Watchlist-A to Watchlist-B. What is sad for a possible buy.
I'll never ever understand why companies dont set HIGH focus on face, eyes and facial expression. This "little" detail ruins so many statues...
Her realistic expression was one of the top selling points of the prototype. It's sad that Gentle Giant didn't get her perfect after 2 years wait and shipping the variant without any changes that I noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
She is definitely well worth it especially if you can get her for $500. The detail is amazing. Love the translucent costume which shows her octopus tattoo. I wish the base was a tad smaller and not a screw on. One of GG best statues to date. Can't wait for lucky and Derby.

If it's wasn't for the bland base, I would give this statue a 10/10. So 9.5/10 is what I would give it. Well worth the pickup if you like female statues sculpts.
Yes she's worth it if you can get her for $500 or less. But anything over that or retail. No way. Especially not with everything else that's coming up and prices in general.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:26 PM   #1604
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

The variant face was not exactly like the prototype, then again very few statues are "exactly" like the prototype. From what I've seen, as an owner of the variant and not the regular, the faces appear to be the same outside of the obvious coloring variances.

It's okay to expect perfection, but if you do I would say be prepared to be disappointed more times than not. In the case of Whisper I don't see the slight difference in the portrait from proto to production piece to be a big deal. The statue still looks amazing to me. Obviously the difference will hold more weight depending on the collector.

As for the price argument... when this was solicited the price was a legitimate bone of contention. It was expensive, no question. Compared to current prices though where collectors are paying $500-$1000 on average for 1:4 scale pieces, it's rather irrelevant.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:33 PM   #1605
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
The variant face was not exactly like the prototype, then again very few statues are "exactly" like the prototype. From what I've seen, as an owner of the variant and not the regular, the faces appear to be the same outside of the obvious coloring variances.

It's okay to expect perfection, but if you do I would say be prepared to be disappointed more times than not. In the case of Whisper I don't see the slight difference in the portrait from proto to production piece to be a big deal. The statue still looks amazing to me. Obviously the difference will hold more weight depending on the collector.

As for the price argument... when this was solicited the price was a legitimate bone of contention. It was expensive, no question. Compared to current prices though where collectors are paying $500-$1000 on average for 1:4 scale pieces, it's rather irrelevant.
Agreed HB. I think there's very little difference between the proto and production with Whisper IMO. If we could count on this same turnaround for SS Red Sonja, then many of us wouldn't be complaining about pricing.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:35 AM   #1606
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post

I think the variant is far closer to the prototype if there even was a variant prototype. If I remember correctly no variant prototype was shown. Gentle Giant released images of the SDCC exclusives and then had the Whisper variant at SDCC on display and for purchase. Some talked about the look of her eyes and thought she looked different compared to the images. But I remember posting the largest image I could of the variant from what Gentle Giant originally showed for SDCC. Aside from that one profile pic with the overly done lips, the full body pics were pretty much exactly like the statue that was at SDCC and what people received.

Honestly I wouldn't buy statues or figures if they turned out way different from the prototype. What's the point in even showing a prototype if it will definitely be changed or the factory can't match it? Neny Dee was talking about this on his recent Collector's Video Chat. Were almost entering a crazy time of "well that was just a prototype, I'll just get it repainted." But we are paying for those off and poor paint jobs. I would say that all my statues from the small Kotobukiya figures to Sideshow quarter scale statues are about 95 percent if more like what was shown. The normal Whisper facial paint differences, if that's all it is, make the statue maybe 85 percent of the prototype. That's a big difference when you are talking about likeness. Something many were sold on. I remember I and many others posted that if she looks like the prototype then they will pay the $669. I guess you have to see it in person or on video to really pick up on the difference. The look was a lot more expressive on the prototype and that's almost everything.

I mention the price because it was such a big deal when announced. Now that Whisper is released and not exactly or to me at least 90 to 95 percent like what was shown at SDCC, is she worth the $669 retail price plus shipping and taxes? Especially compared to what's out and in the works now. That's a fair question. Which I answered in my review in which I believe I was more than fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
Agreed HB. I think there's very little difference between the proto and production with Whisper IMO. If we could count on this same turnaround for SS Red Sonja, then many of us wouldn't be complaining about pricing.
I would be sick if Red Sonja's facial appearance changed or didn't get the detail of the prototype and was similar to Whisper. I would seriously debate even ordering her as there's no way I'm getting a discount on Red Sonja similar to Whisper. Nor will I use my saved points for that sort of change.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:43 AM   #1607
ronskimomo
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I just got my Whisper from SF yesterday. He did a great job packing her to keep the statue safe. If I didn't already have the Variant version, I probably would have a better opinion of the brunette statue. The paint application is good, but the one on the blonde is perfect. This is the main difference. The face paint is a little flat, the suit is very flat (the red suit is glossy), and the skin tone is a tad off. Small details like the paint application to the feet are much better on the blonde version. Also, there are obvious brush marks and splotches when you examine the brunette statue up close. Nothing so bad that I want to return her, but she is not up to the same standard. Lastly, my foot holes do not line up on the brunette. I had the same problem with Artemisia.

If you can find a variant Whisper for sale, I would go that direction. I liked the look design of the Brunette more than the blonde, but the execution leaves much to be desired. Considering how good Shanna came out, I was thinking this statue would be amazing. When you consider the price, more is expected. She is definitely painted better than many of my recent Sideshow pieces. Especially Red Sonja, which I had repainted by Vicente (she is looks amazing now). However, I do not think Whisper is worth the money. I really like this line, and I hope the remaining statues come out better.
ronskimomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:48 AM   #1608
AlanR
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Fiction View Post
Yea it's definitely a boxing issue. I'll most likely modifying the styro for all future shipments. It's such a bummer. Three so far with the same exact break as gary and john
Hi TJ from Spec Fiction
Thanks for checking to ensure nothing is broken, but can you please confirm you have sent my Whisper statue?
Thanks Alan R from Buffalo
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:45 AM   #1609
Spec Fiction
Speculative Fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanR View Post
Hi TJ from Spec Fiction
Thanks for checking to ensure nothing is broken, but can you please confirm you have sent my Whisper statue?
Thanks Alan R from Buffalo
Yours will go out tomorrow Alan
Old 11-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #1610
TheLastMan
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
I would be sick if Red Sonja's facial appearance changed or didn't get the detail of the prototype and was similar to Whisper. I would seriously debate even ordering her as there's no way I'm getting a discount on Red Sonja similar to Whisper. Nor will I use my saved points for that sort of change.
If past performance is any indication... smart money is on SS NOT nailing the Sonja portrait. Just sayin'. Your probably gonna get sick. Stock up on Mylanta.
TheLastMan is offline   Reply With Quote