Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-15-2017, 07:56 PM   #611
danteipp
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
But you don't have to buy it. Something being sketchy is "fooling" someone. This is obvious. Agree about the "shouldn't just be reprints" but that just means it's stupid not sketchy.
I didn't get into this line, although I initially ordered the Iron Man EX (really liked it but didn't care for Cap or the Hulk previews), then cancelled. The line is a great idea for new collectors who missed out on the 1/4 scales, but I had some concerns.

It quickly went from an affordable start in Iron Man to an insane price for Hulk. Then at least one exact variant, outside of a repaint, and a THIRD version with just a different head. Who knows how this line will continue? I would hope it would for collectors who want other characters beyond those done many times over.

You can call it stupid, sketchy, whatever. Semantics. But not "obvious" like you state.

They know they have a lot of completionists out there and they can just spin off a repaint copy without doing anything material and move some stock. Now I don't know if they would sell more with a new head on the Grey Hulk (versus the costs of producing a different head) or just the repaint. Only SS knows that based on projections, cost and past sales.

But SS isn't really stupid to me. They have done very well for themselves. Creating a booming business.

So I am going to go with sketchy over stupid until I see otherwise. You are welcome to call it whatever you want however. But sketchy is questionable, iffy, wanting in completeness, etc. Fooling someone is more shadey or shadowy behavior. That is why I went with sketchy. Questionable or iffy to me.

But perhaps we will just agree to disagree here.

Last edited by danteipp; 08-15-2017 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
danteipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #612
tormentedbliss
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

people that keep saying this is larger then 1/4 are wrong, height isnt the only determining factor in size. The last hulk pf was 20', but still 1/4, this is 2 feet tall, like the comiquette, but clearly smaller then the pf that was kneeling. Was hopping this line was truly affordable, the 1st two were and even thor is a good price, then came hulk....then grey and red..ughhhh
tormentedbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:33 PM   #613
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

I'm glad I didn't start this line. I'd be ticked if I did and then had to see this price. Wow! Oh, and even if I didn't mind the price, I'm not too big of a fan of the head sculpts (either of them).
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:53 PM   #614
JAWS
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danteipp View Post
I didn't get into this line, although I initially ordered the Iron Man EX (really liked it but didn't care for Cap or the Hulk previews), then cancelled. The line is a great idea for new collectors who missed out on the 1/4 scales, but I had some concerns.

It quickly went from an affordable start in Iron Man to an insane price for Hulk. Then at least one exact variant, outside of a repaint, and a THIRD version with just a different head. Who knows how this line will continue? I would hope it would for collectors who want other characters beyond those done many times over.

You can call it stupid, sketchy, whatever. Semantics. But not "obvious" like you state.

They know they have a lot of completionists out there and they can just spin off a repaint copy without doing anything material and move some stock. Now I don't know if they would sell more with a new head on the Grey Hulk (versus the costs of producing a different head) or just the repaint. Only SS knows that based on projections, cost and past sales.

But SS isn't really stupid to me. They have done very well for themselves. Creating a booming business.

So I am going to go with sketchy over stupid until I see otherwise. You are welcome to call it whatever you want however. But sketchy is questionable, iffy, wanting in completeness, etc. Fooling someone is more shadey or shadowy behavior. That is why I went with sketchy. Questionable or iffy to me.

But perhaps we will just agree to disagree here.
I guess I just have no issue with it because you know what you are buying.... offering some extra heads for the different colors might force completionist to buy this when they may have passed on it if it was just different colors. Thus some may find that just as sketchy. Imo it is a bit more sketchy when ssc does not even let you know there will be a variant ala Hulk comiquette or modern Barman. I got burned on the second one as I would never have bought the first if I knew about modern. Just my opinion of course. I personally don't have an issue with the multi colors / same sculpt but I respect the fact that you do.
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:29 AM   #615
AC_808
Hercules

That price is unreal. Wow, can't believe it.

But it does reaffirm that this was not a line for me. Didn't like Cap, IronMan and this Hulk. I only like Thor. No way am I getting it tho.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:37 AM   #616
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:54 AM   #617
A Cimmerian
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

No interest at this price, and the two heads are awful.
A Cimmerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #618
FJC
Midnighter

Wow, this line just got pricey in a hurry. So glad I sold off most of my old 1/5 pieces and never got into this line. $600 for a 1/5 piece is insane, even if it is the HULK. I'd rather drop another $55 and pick up the HULK and Wolverine MAQ. You get a whole other figure in Wolverine and a much better looking portrait on the HULK for just $55 more.
FJC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:23 AM   #619
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Cimmerian View Post
No interest at this price, and the two heads are awful.
The pose on this is excellent but the portraits are weak IMO. They need to let Martin Canale do portraits for the HULK. He's the only one that seems to do a great looking modern styled HULK. I've never cared for any of sideshow's ape/Kirby HULK portraits.
FJC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #620
ambasah
Red Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
I believe the term is sideshowflation.
perfect! : )
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote