WTH does triggered even mean?
to be offended or to become upset.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #302
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
Yup, i tried collecting variant comics some time back but things quickly got way to expensive, i prefer to buy statues aswell lol.
Yeah, it adds up quickly. Just think of the people buying 1:1000 or rarer variants. These people are spending more for a single modern comic that it would cost to buy an XM statue or 2 Sideshow statues. That is just INSANE to me, but as always to each thier own.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:09 PM   #303
Chargersfan57
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
idk, I've been seeing it for a few years.
Hmm... you might be right. I guess I just haven't noticed it until recently.
Chargersfan57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:02 PM   #304
Otter
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
IMO modern variant comics are the single worst investment one can make in the comic market.
This was the exact same criticism of comics in the 90s, and was blamed for "ruining" comics. Hilarious that nothing's changed. Why not read a book for the story and be content with a single cover? Consumers clearly continue to support the practise.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #305
Otter
Justice League

Quote:
to be offended or to become upset.
That's an oversimplification; to be "triggered" means to suffer psychological distress at the discussion of a sensitive topic (such as rape or other trauma), having experienced that same trauma personally. To use the term otherwise is a little insensitive, but hardly atypical of the internet.

In more sensitive circles, people offer a "trigger warning" prior to discussing potentially distressing topics.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:44 PM   #306
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
That's an oversimplification; to be "triggered" means to suffer psychological distress at the discussion of a sensitive topic (such as rape or other trauma), having experienced that same trauma personally. To use the term otherwise is a little insensitive, but hardly atypical of the internet.

In more sensitive circles, people offer a "trigger warning" prior to discussing potentially distressing topics.
It all fairness, people are getting "triggered" over dumber and dumber things. It is why it has become more of a joke recently. Blame the people who become triggered when they hear something they don't agree with and throw a temper tantrum.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:46 PM   #307
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
Congrats.

Just remember, I am not the one throwing labels around in here. Just trying to clear up that not all fans of this artwork are creepers.

We all know who they are....Nugchompa, VS.....lol

Are these up for pre-order yet????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????
I am dying!
What about Warlock?
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:19 PM   #308
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Especially Warlock lol
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:20 PM   #309
davi
Fantastic Four

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRXPRpni6U8
whisperingwind7 has a nice quality video up of this piece.
davi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:03 AM   #310
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
This was the exact same criticism of comics in the 90s, and was blamed for "ruining" comics. Hilarious that nothing's changed. Why not read a book for the story and be content with a single cover? Consumers clearly continue to support the practise.
The biggest problem with the 90's and why the comic market ultimately crashed is mostly due to the changes that took place in distribution. In particular, Diamond Comic Distributors and Capital City Distributing lowered their requirments so dramatically that just about anyone could buy wholesale. The number of comic stores in 1979 numbered about 800. That grew to over 10,000 US stores and over 1000 overseas stores by the 90's and most of those new stores were inexperienced and extremely undercapitalized. Its estimated that at least 30% of all the comics that were published from 1990-1994 ended up as overstock in comic dealers inventories while publishers were being duped into thinking those comics were actually selling. And 2/3 of those stores were out of business by the end of the 90's.

As for the variants, things have only gotten 1000 times worse with modern variants as the variants in the 90's didn't cost anywhere near the money that modern variants are costing and there weren't anywhere near as many being made. Just look at Star Wars #1 with its 150+ covers or whatever the riduclous number is or look at Dynamite and the ridiculous number of variants that they released in total with their first run of Red Sonja (average of roughly 4 covers per issue for 81 issues = roughly 324 covers for an 81 issue run). Variants are being produced in FAR FAR FAR greater number today then they were in the 90's and people are spending FAR FAR FAR more on them. When the variant crash comes, and its definitely coming, people will lose 100 times the amount that was lost in the 90's, value wise.

Not to mention, comic companies are duping people by using ratio's now as opposed to actually having a stated edition size for variants. This is one of the most important details that has changed in recent years as people are spending significantly more for variants that are 1:100 or rarer thinking they are so much rarer than variants used to be, but their not. I guarantee many of the 1:100 and 1:300 variants will have just as many copies printed as the variants that used to be limited to 100-200. I purchased 5 copies of the Blood Red Turner variant for Vampirella Strikes that was limited to 100 copies and I pre ordered them for $19.99 a copy. I guarantee those would have sold for 5 times that price on eBay if Dynamite had used a ratio as opposed to a stated edition size. Switching variants to ratio's is one of the biggest dupes going on in modern comics.

Just look at these auctions that ended this week:

You have one guy who spent $1850 for a 1:2000 Venomverse #1, which is just INSANE by the way, and another guy who spent $870 and those sales took place in the same week for the same exact comic. Nobody really knows just how to value these comics since nobody knows exacty how many copies will be produced. Thats why your seeing such HUGE price discrepancies. That guy who just spent $1850 likely lost at least $1000 the second he purchased that book. And people that think these comics are actually going to appreciate in value are just fooling themselves. Just look at the 1:100 and 1:300 comics that were sold a couple years back. Many of them are already down to $10-$15 a copy.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote