Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Just The Facts... > Collection Corner

Old 08-04-2018, 10:16 PM   #1
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

AlexLothos's Humble Collection

After seeing everyone's amazing and awe inspiring collections, I felt kinda shy to share my own meager crew. And then after a few failed attempts to photograph them in these highly light reflective Detolfs, I finally can present my small collection to you all.

And... away we go!

Left Detolf - The original plan for this one was that the top shelf would be for die cast cars... and I figured staggered staging platforms would be easy to find. As you see... not so much. So for now, they're just hanging out on two shelves with a lot of wasted space.

The next three shelves were intended to be Aliens and Predators. I'm a huge fan of the movies and the creature designs. With the lack of AVP, you can see how far I've gone with that goal.

To add insult to injury, I put the Detolf together slightly off so opening the door is a challenge. So I try to never open it, which probably allows it to settle further wrong and complicating the matter.

Le sigh.

Moving on to my more successful venture...

Right Detolf - This one was to be my 'catch all' for random characters I dig. And that plan has exploded faster than I anticipated. The placements are constantly moving, but going into the current roster...

Shelf 1 - Good Smile Zero Suit Samus - One of my first pieces, I bought her a few years ago. I've always loved the Metroid franchise (especially Super Metroid and the various Game Boy incarnations) and Samus in her Zero Suit particularly. This sculpt seems to fully capture everything I love about the character, so I had to have her.

Kotobukiya Bishoujo Cammy - Going from one of my oldest to one of my newest, I picked up this Second Round re-release at this year's SDCC. Huge old school Street Fighter fan and Cammy was one of my three main choices in the game (the next two are Vega and Ryu). Again, a great sculpt that captures the character I love really well.

Diamond Select Unmasked Laura/X-23 (SDCC 2018 Exclusive) - Also from this year's SDCC, Laura was on my 'must-buy' list. I remember when she was introduced back in the NYX comic and I've dug her character development over the years. / The first day of the show, I stopped by the booth and they had like 25 on display. Since it was still early and I didn't want to lug the package around the show all day, I figured I'd just come back near the end of the show day and pick one up then. Surely they had more in the back. So when I came back... all sold out. BUT... they had more coming in the next morning. So the next day... I stopped by around noon and whatever they had was already sold out. No more restocking... that was it. I was crushed. But they said dealers picked up some to flip, so there might be one at another booth. I figured if it was $5 to $15 more than the original price, I'd bite the bullet. Eventually we stumbled upon a booth that had one at the regular price! The paint on the nose was scuffed, but so what! But as my wife and I looked through the booth more, we found two more. I put 'nose scuff' back and held on to the new two, texting my brother if he still wanted one, too. He did, so I got them plus a Harley Quinn statue he wanted.

Shelf 2 - Diamond Select Netflix Elektra - Impulse buy from last year's Wondercon. This was the point where I realized I had an interest in statues and wanted to dip my toes in further. My brother was looking for Walking Dead TV figures and my wife was helping him, so I looked at the booth's "clearance" table. I love the Elektra character and again, I liked the sculpt so I went for it. When we got home I checked ebay and Amazon to discover the "deal" was pretty much the going rate on both sites. $10 under the original list price, but still... I felt slightly cheated. But I loved the piece so much, I didn't really care... she was worth it to me.

Even now, on Amazon she's even cheaper while the other Netflix characters are much higher. I don't get it... she's much better sculpted than the others. Ah, well... I'm still proud of the purchase!

DC Collectibles Icons Deathstroke - After price watching this piece for some years, I finally caught a great deal this May and Slade Wilson was finally brought into my collection. I got into comics later than most (mid teens), so a lot of my early education came from the 25 to 50 cent bins. In those bins I got a lot of old Teen Titans comics which formed my alignment with the "sidekick" characters over the usual main heroes. So those plus the Teen Titans cartoon and then the live action Slade on CW's Arrow... he became one of my favorite characters without me realizing it. But seeing this piece solidified it for me.

Shelf 3 - Color Tops McFarlane Michonne - Also from last year's Wondercon trying to find my brother his Walking Dead figures, I stumbled upon this one and fell in love. Great sculpting and great painting depicting a character I love from the show and comics. Looking her up later, I was stunned at how I didn't like the promo pics of the piece at all and how the real thing was so much better. So this was a lesson in 1- Keep your eyes open for unexpected finds and 2- Promo pics might be better or worse than the actual pieces.

Diamond Ultimate Storm - Years ago I had two statues... a Rogue bust (that I can't seem to find anymore) and this piece. My wife kept encouraging me to replace a lot of the old stuff I used to have if I still dig them... this is one of the few things I took her up on. I love pretty much all the incarnations of Storm, but oddly enough, the Ultimate version is one of my least favorites. So it's super weird that I keep coming back to this one. I love the sculpt!

Kotobukiya ArtFX Marvel Now Rogue - Although I couldn't find the 90's Jim Lee Rogue I used to have, I saw this piece online and dug it. I had no clue what a "1/10 scale" was, but considering all my other pieces were around the same size, I figured this one would be, too. So I ordered it off of ebay and was a little disappointed upon receiving her 7" self. So this is where I learned to look into the scale and converting centimeters into inches with each new piece I research. It's still an arbitrary measurement system in my eyes, but I'm trying to get with the program. That said, although she's small, she matches with Michonne well and she's still hella beautiful.

---

So this is where I am currently. I'm still learning more about the hobby enjoying the process. Thanks for taking a peek and thanks for all of the amazing conversations, tips, and wisdom you're all sharing on this forum!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LeftDetolf1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	115894   Click image for larger version

Name:	LeftDetolf2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	115895   Click image for larger version

Name:	RightDetolf1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	115896   Click image for larger version

Name:	RightDetolf2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	115897   Click image for larger version

Name:	RightDetolf3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	115898  

AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:24 PM   #2
AlexLothos

Oh, also from this year's SDCC, I ended up getting the Diamond Select White Phoenix (SDCC 2018 Exclusive).

We were leaving the show for the day and the Diamond Select booth had like a handful of these left. After all the troubles we had with securing an exclusive Laura, my wife was like "get it now or we'll regret it later." So I did.

We spent waaaaaaaaay too much at SDCC this year, so I don't know if I'm keeping Phoenix or putting her up on ebay. I'm not a super Phoenix fan, but I've always loved the concept, the design, and I also dig this particular sculpt/paint.

So I will probably keep her... it's just right now I'm still trying to finish unpacking and organizing my office while catching up on work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhitePhoenix1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	115899   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhitePhoenix2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	115900   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhitePhoenix3.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	115901  
Old 08-04-2018, 10:27 PM   #3
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Very nice descriptions! As for the Detolf door. I had the same problem with a second hand Detolf I bought. You can adjust the angle of the way the glass hangs by loosening and tightening the screws holding the metal hinged plates together. It takes some trial and error and helps a ton to have someone to help hold the glass. I was able to do it by myself but it was a pain.

Looks like you are off to a great collection!
jeremydmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:54 PM   #4
omigeo
Alpha Flight

Hi Alex and welcome to the forum. Great start.
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:58 AM   #5
AlexLothos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
Very nice descriptions! As for the Detolf door. I had the same problem with a second hand Detolf I bought. You can adjust the angle of the way the glass hangs by loosening and tightening the screws holding the metal hinged plates together. It takes some trial and error and helps a ton to have someone to help hold the glass. I was able to do it by myself but it was a pain.

Looks like you are off to a great collection!
Thank you! Slowly but surely it's coming together!

Good point on the possible easy fix with the Detolf door. I think it's worse than the door, though... the whole thing is slightly slanted forward, especially in comparison to the right one. In my head, taking it apart and putting it back together is the only way to be sure. Ah, I'll try it your way a few times and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigeo View Post
Hi Alex and welcome to the forum. Great start.
Hey Omigeo and thanks!
Old 08-05-2018, 05:06 PM   #6
XMRogue
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Nice collection! Love the non-90s Rogue!
XMRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #7
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

welcome to the forum
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:08 PM   #8
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Isn’t there another guy with title “ my humble collection” on here ?
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:00 PM   #9
House
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Welcome to the forums! Thank you for sharing your collection!!
House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:47 AM   #10
AlexLothos

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMRogue View Post
Nice collection! Love the non-90s Rogue!
Thank you! Yeah, I'm a fan of Rogue in all of her incarnations. The current one is a nice homage to her original appearance.

I have a few Rogue variations on my wish list (the 90's version is in there, lol). We'll see what I actually end up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
welcome to the forum
Thanks, glad to be here! This place is a new fun distraction from work outside of the usual social media and phone game options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post
Isn’t there another guy with title “ my humble collection” on here ?
I glanced at the other titles when making this and didn't see one. Looking again, you're correct... Subby1938 uses this title, too. That collection demolishes mine, so I doubt there will be any confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
Welcome to the forums! Thank you for sharing your collection!!
Thanks so much! Hopefully I'll have a major new addition within the next few weeks. We'll see how it goes...