Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 08-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Ohrai_Fan
The Spirit

Successful Fan Campaigns?

Hi

I'm new to the forums. I got into statue collecting for video games about 2 years ago and it all started with the First Colossus from the game Shadow of the Collosus. I have about 15-20 pieces now and I love them all but none ultimately compare to the detail of this piece. Its a perfect recreation of the creature and it captures the scale and sense of wonder that the game instills in its players. People will literally pay over $100 for shattered versions of this piece on ebay.

As some of you may know, the game features 16 unique bosses and I believe that the majority of fans that collected the First Colossus statue would buy 1 of each boss if they were done with the same level of care and detail. I know I wouldn't hesitate.

I asked Gonk and it seems as though Koto doesnt currently have much desire to renew the license and continue the product line, but there are a few posters in the "Ask Kotobukiya" thread that seem to share my fanaticism.

I don't have any facts or information on why other pieces weren't created. I know the piece was incredibly fragile but I strongly believe that there is a chance for them to profit and for fans to get what they want.

Do any of you have experiences to share where fan demand influenced Kotobukiya's production? Do you have any advice? Have any of you led successful campaigns etc?

Thanks
Ohrai_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

Companies like Koto and Gentle Giant will take fan input into account when deciding what characters to tackle in current lines. They'll even modify work-in-progress sculpts based on feedback, as we saw with stuff like the Storm and Liara Bishoujos. But there's probably no hope of convincing them to revisit a property as old and relatively obscure as Shadow of the Colossus. If they were going to do it, they would have timed something with the HD release. You would probably need the full, vocal support of more people than there are posting on this entire forum to make them re-consider.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Ohrai_Fan
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicksplode View Post
Companies like Koto and Gentle Giant will take fan input into account when deciding what characters to tackle in current lines. They'll even modify work-in-progress sculpts based on feedback, as we saw with stuff like the Storm and Liara Bishoujos. But there's probably no hope of convincing them to revisit a property as old and relatively obscure as Shadow of the Colossus. If they were going to do it, they would have timed something with the HD release. You would probably need the full, vocal support of more people than there are posting on this entire forum to make them re-consider.
Thanks for the input. I was hoping that with the game's rise in popularity and especially with the HD collection release and the demand for The Last Guardian that there might be some renewed interest from the fan base. I was also hoping that since competitors are just now getting around to pumping out MGS1 products, like the 3a Rex, that these companies would still consider making merch will after releases.

Too bad, if I had the artistic abilities I'd literally just start doing them myself out of clay or something.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
BarrelCannon
Nightwing

I'm a big fan of the series too but the player base of the original game was small to begin with. It's a property that could only ever be released in a small ES. Smaller now given that the hype factor surrounding the games two releases are over. You can always try getting someone to make a custom one for you but that will cost a pretty penny obviously.
BarrelCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I for sure thought we would see more Shadow of the Colossus statues. Especially since a company made those smaller Colossus figures. I passed on the first statue in the hopes that more were coming and the fact that I like the designs of the later Colossus. ICO would make a great statue too.

I haven't seen any successful fan campaigns that I can remember right now.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
BarrelCannon
Nightwing

For me it's the first colossus and the the one that flys through the dessert that were my favs due to the sheer sense of awe and wonder I felt when facing them.
BarrelCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
Ohrai_Fan
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
I for sure thought we would see more Shadow of the Colossus statues. Especially since a company made those smaller Colossus figures. I passed on the first statue in the hopes that more were coming and the fact that I like the designs of the later Colossus. ICO would make a great statue too.

I haven't seen any successful fan campaigns that I can remember right now.
I like the later colossi much more as well though I won't complain about the piece that I own. I also agree that ICO could be the basis for some amazing pieces.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
Ohrai_Fan
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelCannon View Post
For me it's the first colossus and the the one that flys through the dessert that were my favs due to the sheer sense of awe and wonder I felt when facing them.
I love Gaius, the 3rd colossus. When I first got to the top of that one and looked around and was able to see the temple and basically the entire world map the scale of the game hit me. I actually got a "fear of heights" reaction to it. My favorite visual moment of the game is when you have the camera fixed on Gaius and you're running away as he slowly lifts his giant club to smash you. The speed that he moves and the slightly hazy visuals of the colossus in the background again just really hammer home the scale of the game.

That's my favorite, but I love them all.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Ohrai_Fan
The Spirit

Felt like wasting a bit of time:

It was around this moment that the scale of the game hit me, espcially when you look at the background or when you drop the camera to look down

Old 08-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
Ohrai_Fan
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelCannon View Post
I always felt that this scene would make for a perfect art piece: