Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-14-2017, 06:46 PM   #31
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aric View Post
Awesome ....or terrible lol !!!
Yeah I'm not sure either but I'm having fun.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #32
RoscoeDeGama
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion009 View Post
My resolutions for next year:
1) Try to rein myself in with the side-purchases that don't really fit my collection. When I attend shows I tend to buy stuff much too impulsively. This stuff always seems to be what I sell off when needing funds for pieces that better fit my collection, too...its a vicious cycle...lol.
2) Been wanting an Art Adams piece for years. My number one collecting goal for the year is to acquire a nice Adams piece that fits in my collection. Even going so far as to sell off a bunch of ancillary items in the collection to help fund it.
3) If I get the Adams out of the way, I'd also like a nice Anacleto piece.
4) A broad-ranging goal....just want to add some more nice Valkyrie, Gamora, Medusa, and possibly a couple of Harley Quinn published pages to the collection. Nothing super-expensive, just some nice examples. More Pelletier pages would be great.

That's it for the year!
I agree with your no. 1 and 2---reigning in those "side purchases" that I buy on impulse. It's hard when you get caught up at a show and start buying things like that or even when certain artists start taking lists Guilty as charged but really trying to do better and be aware of that here in 2017. An Art Adams piece would be pretty amazing for me too--was hoping he'd be coming to Heroes this year but that doesn't appear to be happening. One day....

Otherwise, my big goals for 2017:

-A nice John Buscema Conan or Avengers page of OA
-A Tim Sale Dark Phoenix
-A Terry Dodson Dark Phoenix
-More Invisibles OA
-A Grant Morrison written Animal Man page of OA
-Less impulsive purchases---"Quality over Quantity" is my mantra!
-Post the backlog of amazing art I've yet to post to CAF.
-Get a better scanner.
-Renew my CAF premium membership--it's really worth it to support that site that I get so much use out of and spend so much time on.
-Post more here! I love being a part of all of this-I want to engage more in the dialogue here, start a thread or two myself, and chime in more.
-Get to one more big show beyond Heroes and local shows here in Charleston.
RoscoeDeGama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #33
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeDeGama View Post
I agree with your no. 1 and 2---reigning in those "side purchases" that I buy on impulse. It's hard when you get caught up at a show and start buying things like that or even when certain artists start taking lists Guilty as charged but really trying to do better and be aware of that here in 2017. An Art Adams piece would be pretty amazing for me too--was hoping he'd be coming to Heroes this year but that doesn't appear to be happening. One day....

Otherwise, my big goals for 2017:

-A nice John Buscema Conan or Avengers page of OA
-A Tim Sale Dark Phoenix
-A Terry Dodson Dark Phoenix
-More Invisibles OA
-A Grant Morrison written Animal Man page of OA
-Less impulsive purchases---"Quality over Quantity" is my mantra!
-Post the backlog of amazing art I've yet to post to CAF.
-Get a better scanner.
-Renew my CAF premium membership--it's really worth it to support that site that I get so much use out of and spend so much time on.
-Post more here! I love being a part of all of this-I want to engage more in the dialogue here, start a thread or two myself, and chime in more.
-Get to one more big show beyond Heroes and local shows here in Charleston.
Great goals. Tim Sale is going away from his fast passes to more of finished con piece so it's a great time to get something from him at a show.

The side purchases are always tough for me. I see something online or at a show and I ended up making purchases I didn't plan on. It's hard to stay focused.

We need more threads and posts in this section so post away! You could start by sharing all that art you haven't put on CAF.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:53 PM   #34
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Yeah I'm not sure either but I'm having fun.
I vote awesome! Kicking off the con season with that Brooks piece....purely awesome!
Punisher1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #35
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher1919 View Post
I vote awesome! Kicking off the con season with that Brooks piece....purely awesome!
Thanks! I was in shock when I got the message from Lisa that Mark picked me as one of the 3 for Wondercon. Now I just need to get Mark to do a "green" companion piece to go with it at SDCC. JoeFixit2 won't mind.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #36
Bishop40
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Great goals. Tim Sale is going away from his fast passes to more of finished con piece so it's a great time to get something from him at a show.

The side purchases are always tough for me. I see something online or at a show and I ended up making purchases I didn't plan on. It's hard to stay focused.

We need more threads and posts in this section so post away! You could start by sharing all that art you haven't put on CAF.
Tim is going away from the fast pass, damn i need to get him before this happens because we know those finished pieces will be mo money.
Bishop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #37
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Yup the prices will be going up. I'm not sure of the current rates as he hasn't been to any shows that I've been to in years.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:20 PM   #38
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Buuuuuuummmpppppp
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:43 PM   #39
BillC
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
2017 goals at this point:

Purchase published pieces that mean a lot to me, if I must buy stuff.

I want to focus on my GOTG commissions- I found an artist that I had a great experience with. If all works out I'll do my best to keep him busy through 2017, hopefully with at least 6 pieces.
Well a little over half a year in, and my idea of buying select published pieces went out the window. I've already broken any of my records for most art bought in a calendar year by a large margin. Lots more to add to CAF too. I stopped doing "new art purchase" threads as it would be way too much work. That said, nothing was really expensive. A number of pieces I got at very low, sometimes criminally low prices. I'm definitely not aiming to keep this up for the rest of the year.

I definitely still want to focus on GOTG commissions with the aforementioned artist- although I'll be lucky to get 6 pieces from him this year (he's in demand). While I'm waiting on him I have the layouts for tons more commissions in cue. I love that part of the process- it is a creative outlet, and free!
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:55 PM   #40
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
Well a little over half a year in, and my idea of buying select published pieces went out the window. I've already broken any of my records for most art bought in a calendar year by a large margin. Lots more to add to CAF too. I stopped doing "new art purchase" threads as it would be way too much work. That said, nothing was really expensive. A number of pieces I got at very low, sometimes criminally low prices. I'm definitely not aiming to keep this up for the rest of the year.

I definitely still want to focus on GOTG commissions with the aforementioned artist- although I'll be lucky to get 6 pieces from him this year (he's in demand). While I'm waiting on him I have the layouts for tons more commissions in cue. I love that part of the process- it is a creative outlet, and free!
You should start 1 thread and continuously update it as you get new pieces. I'll have to go back and see what my resolutions were. I'm sure I didn't come close to sticking to it.

Yeah I didn't stick to it at all. I've got one more shipment coming in with 7 pages and they may be it for the year. I'm not sure.