Enjoy!

Check Out My Blog at....

http://madrobotstudios.blogspot.com

My portfolio is...

http://www.comicspace.com/madrobotommy
Tommy Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #22
Veritas
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

This is a fantastic thread... thanks so much for the information about Aves... still feeling new to sculpting, I don't have a great deal of experience...

I picked up the try out package of Aves last summer and have been trying to use it regularly... I've had a great deal of problems with it from the start, but like Tommy said, it's all about experimenting with a new medium to discover the little nuances etc. I'm happy to say that I've found a good number of purposes for it is an essential part of any studio.

Here's my questions/ concerns:

How do you keep it from sticking to your tools? Do you start working immediately after mixing it, or wait an hour or so for it to get a little less soft?
What are the differences with the types? I used the Apoxie sculpt, but I also have Apoxie clay and I believe Fixit as well. What type of projects would you use the clay for? I appreciate all of your contributions to this thread!! thanks!
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:42 AM   #23
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
How do you keep it from sticking to your tools? Do you start working immediately after mixing it, or wait an hour or so for it to get a little less soft?
What are the differences with the types? I used the Apoxie sculpt, but I also have Apoxie clay and I believe Fixit as well. What type of projects would you use the clay for? I appreciate all of your contributions to this thread!! thanks!

Tools: its going to stick no matter what, best thing i found to do is buy the Aves thinner and clean them off. Or hit ebay for those cheap $11 tool sets that can be thrown away from time to time.

Once mixed, you got that 3-5 hour window. Sooner you start working the softer it is. Waiting longer will let the aves get harder and cure. So if you want to fill in gaps, work right away. if ya want to sorta work like hard clay works, wait a hour for the aves to get tougher.

Aves thinner and any aves product, you can soften it up to the point where it becomes like tooth paste.

Aves Apoxie - All around sculpt thats softest of the three. Cheapest too. Will fall if built up to points. Doesnt hold its form well in certain situations.

Aves Clay - Gritty and very tough feel to it. Good if you are used to working with tough clay. Gets very muddy tho when Aves thinner. Will hold its form when built up, even with thinner. Bit more expensive then Apoxie

Fix-it - More of the all around type. I find it holds its form better then the other two, like when i do bangs for hair, pony tails etc... Thinner can soften it up very well, and seems to be the cleanest of the three where it doesnt get all muddy with thinner. Most expensive of the three.

Hope that helps.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #24
pmpknface
The InJustice League

As a guy who just got some sculpting tools and a dremmel and is looking to start off by customizing a few broker MB's how much aves should I go about buying?

Thanks!
pmpknface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #25
cougartrace
I like !%&!%&!%&!%&

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Allison View Post
It's too bad you're down in Texas. I'd invite you up for one of my 24 hour sculpt deals where I work in Apoxie Sculpt.
Tommy, it's too bad you don't live in this great state of Texas
cougartrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #26
Tommy Allison
Sculptor
Sculptor

I have friends down there. I may have to drive down one of these days.

Check Out My Blog at....

http://madrobotstudios.blogspot.com

My portfolio is...

http://www.comicspace.com/madrobotommy
Tommy Allison is offline   Reply With Quote