Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 03-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
astromerc
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Krylon or Rustolem?

Right now, I am about to start the molding process. My car is down, so I can only reach Home depot or Lowes on foot. Will Rustolem clear coat or matte finish, do the same job as Krylon's versions?

Thanks in advance!
astromerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

not sure on rustolem, i only use duplicator primers and gloss out of the cans, and i only use krylon flat black.

Last time i herd rustolem was way to think for statues and lose details, but never tried.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
d.clifton
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

It comes down to the materials base. Acrylic is acrylic no matter the brand name, so either is fine as long as you look at the base it's made from. Paints are tricky and there's a few rules to live by. For example you can put anything on laquer but you can not put laquer on everything because it uses a very aggressive reducer to thin out.

I'm a show car painter by day, hey if you've seen the reveal if the 2013 viper that's my work on that bad boy. Icar gold certified and go out to ppgs training classes once a year to stay current.

As far as losing detail goes just be careful to not put too much of any product on too quickly. Check the nozzle sizes and spray a test panel before you get going. Remember most aerosol paints have 30 minute working times at the minimum. So hold the can 6 inches away and sort if dust or smoke the paint on in very light layers as to keep the layers thin. If it seems line it's not flowing well hit it again and remember the 3 areas of temperature that's very important.
Ambient temp should be 70 degrees or above
Surface temp should also be the same
Product temp as well should be the same so put all the components in the area to be painted for an hour before you begin spraying or it could cause issues like blushing, running or solvent pop.
Hope that helps!
d.clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
astromerc
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

^ Yes it does thank you.
astromerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
skorpsta
Ghost

i use testors dullcoat and krylon matte....but most and all of the times dullcoat

krylon matte does not really give a matte finish imo it leaves a slight sheen

tetsors dull coat leaves a dullcoat and very flat matte finish with no sheen, however with dullcoat you have to shake the can for about 3 minutes and spray it a couple of times on some brand of paints it takes a couple of coats

if you look at my signature most of all my paint ups are sprayed with dullcoat

as of primer i only use plastikote grey and white primer

its what ever works best for you
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote