Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Home Economics

Old 03-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

Spring Garden Planting

Starting to plan what I think I'm gonna take a crack at growing in the vegetable garden this year. I made the mistake of planting my tomatoes in front last year, so when they came up, they ended up shading everything behind them. Live and learn.

- Tomatoes (gonna stick w/ just Italian Plum this year, I find the larger varieties go to waste in my fridge, while I'll eat entire plums at a time.
- peppers (red, green and some sort of hot, I'd love some recommendations)
- Leeks (would appreciate any advice if you have it)
- Lettuce (I have luck w/ this)
- Basil, Rosemary, mint, lavendar
- maybe carrots, but I end up always hitting clay.

I'm gonna peel off last years mulch and add another 4 inches of garden soil as I do every year. Today I severely cut back my Crape Myrtles (I have one way to close to the house and I don't really care if I cut too much off, if you get my drift.

I'm not mulching my main beds this year. Mulch has gotten to freakin' expensive, so I'm just gonna refresh and fluff last year's. Spring fertilizing the yard, I guess in the next 2 weeks.

What are you all putting in, vegetable or otherwise?
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Babytoxie
Ghost

I like your menu. As far as hot peppers, you can't go wrong with basic jalapeƱos. If you want something really hot, try habaneros (I warned you).

This will be my first full year in a new house. Due to the previous owner's lack of inspiration, I have an almost blank slate. I planted a red oleander at the start of fall last year and thought I'd killed it, but it looks to be getting back in shape.

I'm focusing on drought-tolerant plants, as the past several summers have been murder down here. Last week, I put in some monkey grass, Spanish lavender, and stonecrop along one side of our driveway. The available space is only about 6" wide, so I couldn't get too crazy. I also have some geraniums and petunias in pots. I hate annuals, but I had to make my wife happy somehow.

Next to our house is a utility easement - about 3 lots worth of grass. I'm going to throw some wildflower seeds out there and see what happens.

There'll be much more to come this summer, finances allowing. I may try vegetables one of these days. Some folks in the office bring in all kinds of great stuff, so I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to get something going.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
protector2814
Phoenix

You can't go wrong w/ lavender. In the late summer when there's a breeze and a patch of lavender is growing near your lawn chair.....heaven. Thnx for the hot pepper advice. I gotta go stronger than Jalapenos...I like 'em hotter.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Babytoxie
Ghost

Then I think habaneros will do the trick. The first time I ate them, I made the mistake of loading them onto a burrito and paid for it... twice.

After posting yesterday, I went outside and looked at the driveway again. I think I need to rearrange some things. Never satisfied - I'll be like this all summer.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
protector2814
Phoenix

I've cut back down a multi branched tree and want to pevent the branches aimed towards my roof line from ever growing back. I remember, when I was a kid, seeing stumps of branches tarred to prevent grow back. Anyone know if this really works and if so, can you just tar a branch stump w/ regular tar?
Old 03-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
Babytoxie
Ghost

No ideas on that branch issue, but I did get a few more things planted this past weekend. All are hardy in Texas summers and are mostly drought tolerant:

Blackfoot daisy - mounding clusters of small white flowers on thin stalks, <1 foot tall. Blooms all summer.

Dragon's blood stonecrop - a nice evergreen groundcover that turns brilliant red in fall.

Black and Blue Sage - covered with deep blue flowers all summer.

Dianthus - not as drought-resistant, but still a worthwhile investment. Low dense mats of thin leaves sporting stalks of small flowers all summer. Lots of beautiful patterns of red, white, and pink in this species.

And so many months left to go!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I've always wanted to plant an herb garden, but I don't have a green thumb whatsoever, how difficult is it to grow and maintain these things? I hate having to buy a bunch of something when cooking, and 90% ends up going to waste because I don't need that much.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
protector2814
Phoenix

Just go to Lowes or Home Depot in the next few weeks (after the 1st week of April) and buy a few potted-herbs. Oragano, basil, tyme, whatever you want. Plant them close to your house so the rabbits and deer won't have easy access, and make sure you put them in some soil that you've airated and broken up. Ideally, add a bag or two of bagged garden soil.
Read the little plastic card and make sure you water when it gets real hot.

It's easy and you'll have fresh herbs by mid June. Might as well throw a tomato plant in the mix too.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Just go to Lowes or Home Depot in the next few weeks (after the 1st week of April) and buy a few potted-herbs. Oragano, basil, tyme, whatever you want. Plant them close to your house so the rabbits and deer won't have easy access, and make sure you put them in some soil that you've airated and broken up. Ideally, add a bag or two of bagged garden soil.
Read the little plastic card and make sure you water when it gets real hot.

It's easy and you'll have fresh herbs by mid June. Might as well throw a tomatoe plant in the mix too.
The only way deer and rabbits would have access would be if I brought some into the backyard myself! Not too much wildlife in my neighborhood.

Ok, so it sounds simple enough, I will definitely do that. I'll try to turn the soil this weekend, and start getting it ready for planting next weekend.

Thanks for the tips!
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
The only way deer and rabbits would have access would be if I brought some into the backyard myself! Not too much wildlife in my neighborhood.

Ok, so it sounds simple enough, I will definitely do that. I'll try to turn the soil this weekend, and start getting it ready for planting next weekend.

Thanks for the tips!
I was in your boat. Once you make it through one season, you'll be an old pro and can "up your game" in the following years. Plenty of sun, weed and water ...that's about it. Your cold beer will taste so much better after an hour in your new garden, plus a fresh basil pesto that you make w/ your own herbs, some pine nuts and olive oil will be the pay off. Keep us informed and ask questions. Good luck!

BT your flower choices are wonderful! How warm is it in your neck of the woods now? I still haven't put my main stuff in the ground yet. We keep geting these cold snaps.