Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Home Economics

Old 05-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #31
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
That's a great set-up, can't wait to see progress shots!

Question: do herbs grow well enough in window boxes? We have some mounts for boxes outside our kitchen and dining room windows - seems natural enough to plant them out there. I am guessing herbs need full sun, or is partial sun okay?
Yep, they grow well in window boxes. Partial sun is OK. If you look back at my post with the herbs in a planter, they get minimal light.

Quote:
In other news, the local Calloway's is selling Japanese maples for $10 this weekend.
Love it. Very hearty trees. In my post called "The New Ride" you can see a Japanese Maple I planted 5 years ago. When I planted it it was like, 4 ft tall. Now it's over 10 and only kept in check by my annual pruning.

Look at that big-butt tree!

cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #32
Babytoxie
Ghost

Hey, get that car out of the way!
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #33
protector2814
Phoenix

Guys - I just wrote an article & put up a list of 4 cocktails you can make with the spring & summer herbs you're growing. All are good - http://www.mr-booze.com/2011/05/20/herb-drink-recipes/
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #34
Babytoxie
Ghost

Basil in a cocktail? Wow, that's crazy, but not crazy enough to turn me away. Thanks for the heads-up!
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #35
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Basil in a cocktail? Wow, that's crazy, but not crazy enough to turn me away. Thanks for the heads-up!
I made the Strawberry Jive last night and man, it's really good. The basil is very subtle but its also tastefully present in the drink. You'll need to make that honey syrup which is simple - 1 part honey to 1 part water, boil then cool.

Let me know if you try any.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #36
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
You'd be surprised. Basil is good in alot of sweets.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #37
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Guys - I just wrote an article & put up a list of 4 cocktails you can make with the spring & summer herbs you're growing. All are good - http://www.mr-booze.com/2011/05/20/herb-drink-recipes/
Good stuff.

An herb I noticed prevalent this year is the Stevia plant. Wonder if it would be good to muddle in a Mint Julep vs. the powdered sugar?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #38
cblakey1
Cyclops

Update on my garden. One month and a few days..

It's going crazy! Already got jalapenos, early girl tomatoes started and the cucumbers started from seeds are going batsh!t.

Cukes:

Maters:

Herbs:

Old 08-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #39
protector2814
Phoenix

Just about done w/ my harvest(s) this year. Just grew Roma tomatoes & picked pounds of them from June 'til now. Made buckets of tomatoe sauce that I've frozen. We ate salads, made gazpacho, gave a lot away. Basil was amazing but turning tough now. My Rosemary didn't make it through the heat. Jalepanjo & other assorted peppers thrived but have peaked. Green peppers were bountiful. Mint was the usual thriving weed it always is.

On a side note - the heat and lack of rain have really done a # on my lawn. By this time last year I'd cut the grass 17 times...this year 13.

Now it's just silly hot August. Weeds grow but that's just about it.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #40
cblakey1
Cyclops

My garden is about shot too.

Multiple harvests of Cherokee purple (best.tomato.ever), roma, early girl, and sweet 100's (more like sweet 1000's) cherry tomatoes. Made lots of marinara which I froze, salsa, and 'mater sandwiches. The romas that are still coming in are being blanched nightly and frozen for a future vat of tomato sauce.

On the herbage side.. basil, sage, rosemary still thriving. Salads, main dishes and homemade pesto were the beneficiaries of this great haul (which is the gift that keeps on giving).

Japanese eggplant, asian peppers and jalapeno were plentiful and are still yielding consumables. The banana peppers are just starting to grow. Crazy stuff I know, but I'll take it!

The cukes didn't do squat. Got a couple of the first ones, but after that, none really fully developed.

Actually grew so much of everything this year I was taking stuff in to work on a weekly basis.

Had a hard time this year with birds as they ate or pecked 1/3 of the tomatoes. I have to plan a strategy for protecting them next year.

Anyway.. I'm gonna watch the barren tomato plants for a week or so and this that show no sign of new growth will come down.

Sad to see the season go though.

Any suggestions on a good consumable to plant for Fall?