Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 07-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #31
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpunk12 View Post
Wow. I mean... wow. I couldn't help having high expectations and I'm still floored.

I've waited a long time for a classic Starfire statue and this does not disappoint. And to think, some folks in the Facebook thread said there was no way the original Perez design would work in 3D...

Day One Preorder here.
By design you mean costume, yes?

It's an 80's style Starfire alright, but I don't see it channeling Perez at all.

Perez drew her face with very soft contours and a rounder shape. Larger, slightly out of proportion eyes, very little in the way of a defined bridge and a look that is commonly referred to as "baby fat".
In terms of the hair he specifically drew big round pillowy curls, not these wavy layered lengths.

It's a pretty statue, but compared to Perez, it's more like a fill in artist who is interpreting it in his own way.

It makes me wonder if JLG-L was even involved with the design because in his follow up run even he hewed to the specifics I noted in Perez's original design with the exception of maybe a little less round, baby fat look to the face.

Can't say this wasn't what I expected tho.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #32
No1WonderFan
Blue Falcon

I do wish her eyes (and hair) were a bit bigger. Maybe her eyes are, but we won't be able to tell until it's painted?
No1WonderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #33
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post

It's an 80's style Starfire alright, but I don't see it channeling Perez at all.

Perez drew her face with very soft contours and a rounder shape. Larger, slightly out of proportion eyes, very little in the way of a defined bridge and a look that is commonly referred to as "baby fat".
In terms of the hair he specifically drew big round pillowy curls, not these wavy layered lengths.

It's a pretty statue, but compared to Perez, it's more like a fill in artist who is interpreting it in his own way.

It makes me wonder if JLG-L was even involved with the design because in his follow up run even he hewed to the specifics I noted in Perez's original design with the exception of maybe a little less round, baby fat look to the face.

Can't say this wasn't what I expected tho.
You should be an art designer at one of these statue companies.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #34
pdenham
Teen Titans

I'm such a pain in the ass no one would hire me for very long.

Just to be clear- I think it's a very nice looking statue even in an unpainted state. I can see why people would like it.

Chad sort of sent mixed signals about this one and a couple others as he stated all along with this line that no statue was going to be representative of any particular artist, but more of a general synthesis.
But then in regards to this one and another titan IIRC, that it would be a "Perez" version.

That's why I'm not very surprised (if still a little disappointed) that is looks the way it does.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #35
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
I'm such a pain in the ass no one would hire me for very long.

Just to be clear- I think it's a very nice looking statue even in an unpainted state. I can see why people would like it.
Yeah, I do think it's very nice for what it is, but your previous post made me realize why the statue didn't remind me immediately of that New Teen Titans cover. Just the eyes and hair alone are different interps.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #36
cyberpunk12
Shadowhawk

Quote:

I'm talking specifically about the hair, which was a bit of a talking point in the thread with the Facebook poll.

Some bemoaned the "big hair" on the classic version and that the look wouldn't translate to 3D. I'd say this statue made some compromises between the source art and the sculpt but I've got no problem with it at all. The hair was probably toned down a bit for multiple reasons.

The Titans don't have to look just like they sprung off Perez' drawing board to be satisfying to me personally... anymore than my X-Men HAVE to look like Byrne drawings... this statue is totally faithful to her original look and I dig how the hair and flame trail were done. It looks just like Kori to me.
cyberpunk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #37
Augen
Metal Men

I couldn't be happier with her and the hair. I think the compromise works brilliantly.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #38
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpunk12 View Post
Some bemoaned the "big hair" on the classic version and that the look wouldn't translate to 3D.
More than likely those comments were made by people who simply don't like the style, which isn't the same as appraising work regardless of one's personal preferences.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #39
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1WonderFan View Post
Agreed. Made me think again how amazing the PĂ©rez Zatanna would look too.
Or Deathstroke!
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #40
haljordan99
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I couldn't be happier with her and the hair. I think the compromise works brilliantly.
Same here, I think she looks great.

Could be worse, she could look like the Starfire from the new Titans TV show.
haljordan99 is offline   Reply With Quote