Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Corner

Old 04-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Custom paint shaker

I have been trying to get back into making model kits as I haven’t finished one in years. Awhile back ago I bought the Robart hobby paint shaker, but it simple sucks. It wiggles the paint jar instead of shaking it in a linear fashion. The wiggling motion is similar to the shakers at the home improvement store, but that motion seems to work better for the more viscous house paint. Plus the light weight or the Robart causes it to dance.

After some Googling, I found that some folks used a jigsaw and a small clamp. So I thought I could replicate it. I refused to use my quality jigsaw so I bought the cheapest I could which was $22 at Harbor Feight and could had cheaper with coupons plus a $2 clamp. Unlike the videos I saw, the Harbor Feight jigsaw wouldn’t directly accept the clamp. I tried filing the end of the clamp down but resulted in a stress failure due to the holes on the shaft. So I glued a broken down jigsaw blade, wrapped in aluminum tape and finally wrapped in craft wire laminated with clear Gorilla glue. This worked but due to the earlier clamp shaft breakage I couldn’t open the clamp wide enough for Vallejo bottles. So I working are clamp Mk. 2. I will post photos of when I finish with the new clamp.

Has one else customized a paint shaker?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A046A710-816A-4B70-AB59-EB4ADF08C0CC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	122973   Click image for larger version

Name:	D08AA267-7155-4088-947B-0A6131F27F23.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	122974  
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote