Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 11-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
dr_teng

Bowen Designs Thanos statue review

Figured I'd post this one before Sideshow unveils more of their Thanos, this review is a few weeks old. I'll be honest, I already sold mine because I suspect the price will be dropping and I'll pick it up again down the line (or the Sideshow one).

Original Bowen Thanos statue review - with larger pictures

-------------

Here’s one of the best Bowen statues I’ve ever seen. Got a great deal on this and when I opened it up, I was blown away.

Over the past few months, I’ve read some of the Infinity Gauntlet and other Thanos stories, gotta say, he’s a badass character. This statue does a near-perfect job of representing him. The base shows off his obsession with Death. I'm a big fan of the paint on this one, although some people have had issues with the appearance of the head and the overall colours. There's been a resculpted head and a variety of repaints on this statue.

Now his sculpt is what’s really great. He’s a huge and bulky character, considerably larger than almost all other Bowen statues. I received him at the same time I received Colossus, and he makes Colossus look tiny. The expression on his face, the anger, and him holding up the Infinity Gauntlet like he’s about to crush whatever he’s up against, it’s such an iconic image for him.

5/5. There’s not much more to say about it. It’s a fantastic statue of one of the most powerful and important Marvel villains, it makes a great addition to any statue collection.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Nice review. It's one of my favs too.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

It is a very nice piece.

I wonder if the SS version would effect the value of the BD version. I'm not sure as both companies enjoy hardcore collectors. If the SS version does tip the tide, it would certainly send an interesting message.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
jansen
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Yeah this piece is so awesome.
I only got the bust, that I have repainted. I wish he was a lil bit bulkier
jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
dr_teng

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
It is a very nice piece.

I wonder if the SS version would effect the value of the BD version. I'm not sure as both companies enjoy hardcore collectors. If the SS version does tip the tide, it would certainly send an interesting message.
I'm sure hoping it does or there's going to be egg on my face for selling this beauty, haha.

It was worth a gamble for me!
Old 11-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I got this with no paint flaws and I still haven't taken it out of the box to display it that tells you how much I don't like it.
IMO the color paint used ruined this piece at least it did for me and i'm a huge Thanos fan I hope SS gets it right like DST did.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
Makkari1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin View Post
I got this with no paint flaws and I still haven't taken it out of the box to display it that tells you how much I don't like it.
IMO the color paint used ruined this piece at least it did for me and i'm a huge Thanos fan I hope SS gets it right like DST did.
Agreed Thanos is a fantastic sculpt but the factory color selection was dreadful. We were misled on the color because what was displayed on the website and the final product are 2 different things. Whoever chose the factory colors needs to have their eyes checked and they head examined. The color does no justice to the caliber of villiany that Thanos represents. A bad@ss like Thanos wearing a powerblue costume is unthinkable I intend to have mine reapainted to correct this color mistake including the skulls to really look like skulls.
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makkari1 View Post
Agreed Thanos is a fantastic sculpt but the factory color selection was dreadful. We were misled on the color because what was displayed on the website and the final product are 2 different things. Whoever chose the factory colors needs to have their eyes checked and they head examined. The color does no justice to the caliber of villiany that Thanos represents. A bad@ss like Thanos wearing a powerblue costume is unthinkable I intend to have mine reapainted to correct this color mistake including the skulls to really look like skulls.
Thanos was the last bowen statue I pre-ordered now I wait until I can see in person before buying.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
Makkari1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin View Post
Thanos was the last bowen statue I pre-ordered now I wait until I can see in person before buying.
This is something that I might consider but since most of the sculpts that I want usually sellout and I end up paying a higher price than if I pre-order. If there is a character that I want and the paint job is crappy I'll spend extra to correct that mistake.

I know you'll say you shouldn't have to get it repainted if its done correct the first time but for me since I only buy characters that I really like I'll invest in getting them the way I want them.
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
dr_teng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makkari1 View Post
I dunno, I'd like to think I'm badass and I'd look pretty good in that shade of blue.

I had no clue that the original website colours were different than the final product, that's not cool.