Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-26-2016, 04:38 AM   #1
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Austin Wizard World 2016 Sketch an OA Haul

This will come as no shock, but they are all Jubilees. Some FANTASTIC ones!

Phenomenal Neon Jubilee by Stuart Sayger:

Stuart is one of the, scratch that, he is THE nicest and most detail oriented artists I've ever encountered. I already have a piece from him that was already a jewel in my collection. When I saw his name on the list for WWA this year, that's what got me to pull the trigger and by tickets. We got there on Friday, and he miraculously didn't have a mile long list of sketches already, which was my fear, this made me ecstatic, because I so wanted another piece from him. He even remembered the Jubilee I got from him before! Those are the best kinds or artist in my opinion. I really wanted a showcase piece from him, but my budget is relatively meager, so we talk about what I was interested in and could afford. What I really wanted was for him to have all the artistic freedom possible so that I didn't constrain or influence what he would do too much. So, we hashed it all out (and he really cares about what you as the "patron" wants or has in mind, which can be really rare in this hobby), and we were going to return towards the end of the day to check back, since we would only be attending the one day. When I caught a glimpse of what he had done, I was floored. It was amazing. The colors, the contrast, the pose, all spot on. His choice of putting her on the neon sign, the pink glow, her powers and costume. Stunning. That's all I can say, it's absolutely wonderful. He was still tweaking things when we arrived back at his table, and you can tell he is a perfectionist (in the best possible way), and continued to refine it as we eagerly watched and get it to the peak of perfection. He wanted to ensure that I walked away with a piece that I loved, and boy howdy, did he achieve that and then some. It's far beyond anything I could have imagined or expected. He nailed her personality and character in every way. I can't say enough fantastic things about Stuart and anyone that's on the fence about getting a commission from him is crazy, just do it. You will NOT regret a thing. This is now the centerpiece of my collection and goes up with my Bill Sienkiewicz Jubilee as soon as humanly possible! I already have it framed and ready to hang. I'm that excited!

Super clean and super cute Jubilee by Michael Cho:

I did not think I would be able to get one from Michael as he already had some folks on his sketch list, but he was so very nice to work me in and get it done so quickly!

OA X-men Vol. 3 Issue 11 Page 1 by Al Barrionuevo:

OA X-men Vol. 3 Issue 24 Page 3 by Al Barrionuevo:

I have wanted a page by Al for so long. I'm stoked to finally have two.

Darling Watercolor Jubilee by Jose Fernandez (This was a pre-done sketch, meaning not commissioned by me directly, he just had it for sale and I snatched it up.):

Adorable Jubilee by Jose Fernandez (this was a con sketch I had him do):

Comic Art Fans link:
http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerynew.asp?GCat=2150

This show was MUCH, MUCH better than last year. I'm so very happy we went and I'm thrilled with my haul.
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:36 AM   #2
punisher129
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Great pieces, congrats!
punisher129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:32 AM   #3
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

very nice pieces, especially that Sayger.

How much was Michael Cho charging?
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #4
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Wow! What a haul! I love that Stuart is working in so much color these days. I have a few of his B&W pieces and his color work has been blowing me away lately. And I completely agree – one of the nicest artists in the hobby. Congrats!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

really great saygar piece. I got my first saygar piece at this year's ww Chicago and was super happy with it.

I must say I agree with your assessment on stuart - really nice guy who works with his fans. I previously had the opposite impression of him which was completely wrong.

definitely talented with a unique style. I cant say I have ever seen a bad piece done by him.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #6
whd
Suicide Squad

Great stuff! Congrats!
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #7
BillC
Hellboy

cool stuff! I just came across your CAF page last night
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:03 PM   #8
millville res
Frackin!

Great haul, I have to agree on Stuart Sayger. I had him do up a piece in Chicago last year and it blew my mind. His attention to detail along with his friendliness is top notch in my books. He even went out if his way to ensure that he dropped the piece off at CGC before the doors opened to ensure that it would get graded that day instead of me having send it away. They weren't doing anymore onsite submissions but he got my stuff in just in time. Great guy.
millville res is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:28 PM   #9
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Thanks all. I'm still just so happy with everything I got. It was a great con.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
very nice pieces, especially that Sayger.

How much was Michael Cho charging?
It was $60 for a 9x12 sketch like that. He was so nice about getting a piece from him too.
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #10
ironf15t
Doh!

Excellent pieces!
ironf15t is offline   Reply With Quote