Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-21-2017, 10:27 PM   #2131
kingdavidf
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchyoutoo View Post
its like SS gloss up their prod pics on their site on purpose so then the complaint isn't about the tonnage of the paint app and colouring but more stickily matte and gloss because in hands look nothing like their site... how is it that its so damn glossy on their pics?

"Oh it's not glossy everyone its OK!"

Gloss wasn't the only factor, it was that deep darker red they used. Looked freaking awesome. Would have been a home run, but now its just "Good enough/Close enough" and that's now the norm "homeruns".. close enough. To me it's Ebay Recast "close enough". Not bad, but close enough because those ebay recast are getting pretty good too. close enough good.

I still prefer the darker matte Red with shading 1000%. I can't shake it off. I wanted the Proto Colour scheme all day! Freakin SS marketing tactics. Lets make it look worse so in hands look great enough for acceptance.
kingdavidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:00 AM   #2132
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchyoutoo View Post
its like SS gloss up their prod pics on their site on purpose so then the complaint isn't about the tonnage of the paint app and colouring but more stickily matte and gloss because in hands look nothing like their site... how is it that its so damn glossy on their pics?

"Oh it's not glossy everyone its OK!"

Gloss wasn't the only factor, it was that deep darker red they used. Looked freaking awesome. Would have been a home run, but now its just "Good enough/Close enough" and that's now the norm "homeruns".. close enough. To me it's Ebay Recast "close enough". Not bad, but close enough because those ebay recast are getting pretty good too. close enough good.

I still prefer the darker matte Red with shading 1000%. I can't shake it off. I wanted the Proto Colour scheme all day! Freakin SS marketing tactics. Lets make it look worse so in hands look great enough for acceptance.
Are you even buying this statue?
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:01 AM   #2133
demonhunter
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
no, this was a very tough pass though. ive loved this since it was revealed but I try to limit myself to male characters only. it seems that would be a slippery slope getting into sideshows female statues

I will say it is much larger in person, but I guess I say that about all of these. the base was a lot bigger than what I thought but looks great, I love the fire effect
I couldn't pass this one up. I would have loved to get the EX version with Jean Grey portrait and because it at least has pupils in her eyes.

The other statue company first had me interested in a green costume Phoenix statue. The previewed prototype was great. The hair was great, the body & pose was designed by a famous Singapore artist, Stanley Lau, I loved it. But somehow along the way, the company kept making amendments to the face, and it ended up with 3 different faces and wildly different hairstyles that I didn't like at all. Plus it was so expensive.

So, when Sideshow announced Dark Phoenix PF, I had a look at the solicitation pics, wow, fantastic, just wish she had pupils. But it's okay, I'm fine.

Then when the real products were rolled out, the red looked different....okay, I admit, I too would have loved the darker red. But this lighter matte red is not a deal breaker for me.

I've been collecting toys and statues for over 14 years. I've had my fair share of seeing statues being changed in colour and designs at the last minute. Happened all the time whether it was with DC or Marvel properties.

They had a very nice New 52 Supergirl bust, the sculptor showed it on his FB, it was great. But later, DC Collectibles changed it. The sculptor said something like : "Sorry guys, it was DC's decision to change." So, it didn't look so nice to me anymore.

The New 52 Justice League action figures, Jack Matthews did a stellar job sculpting them to look like Jim Lee styled. It was shown at toy conventions. But, the higher ups at DC said no, change it, change the face on Superman and Wonder Woman. Supes ended up with that smirk that I didn't like. Honestly, they no longer looked like JIm Lee's art.

Kotobukiya Fine Art Wolverine Statue. Small issue, but it happened. The shoulder pads were matte blue. Marvel said, nope, make it metallic blue.

Kotobukiya Fine Art Danger Room Cyclops. This one was even weirder. Erick Sosa sculpted Slim with his iconic 90s comics visor, complete with the bevel curves at the underside of the visor. But, strangely, Marvel said "nope," at the last minute again, change it to just flattened & straightened rectangle visors. There's not even any wriggling room as the visor was sculpted to almost looks as if it was so firmly and tightly clamped on the bridge of his nose. It was so bizarre, honestly. I have no idea what the custodians of these characters are doing, and why they order such strange choices for changes for their approval.

Anyhow, personally, I prefer female superheroines and characters. Hence I have a whole lot more female statues in my collection room, and friends always point that out. It's my preference, I enjoy drawing female characters and faces more, it's my favourite subject to draw and paint. I kinda wished I could be like Adam Hughes, paint and draw beautiful women for a living. But that was just my wish. I've stopped painting for a while. Anyhow, slowly, my collection now has more male and robot characters. I think my collection room would look more "balanced" that way. Haha.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:20 AM   #2134
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
... I try to limit myself to male characters only. it seems that would be a slippery slope getting into sideshows female statues
We are opposite (in a good way). I only collect females and only a select version of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
That is super interesting... I've never thought of my collecting styles as male or female......
It can save you a sh!tload of money
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:26 AM   #2135
frenchyoutoo
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdavidf View Post
good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Are you even buying this statue?
Don't know if you're pointing me out, I really really freakin wanted to but now no, I'm trying to convince myself to buy truthfully. I want to let go or un-see the Proto but I can't.
I hardly post here so when i saw updates I wanted to post my view.

agree or disagree, lets just keep it at that. No lame eye roll personal bullcrap responses or ill just through it back at ya (not you Y3E)
frenchyoutoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #2136
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
We are opposite (in a good way). I only collect females and only a select version of those.

It can save you a sh!tload of money
Yes it does!
It used to really save you money.
I miss the years where only one female piece was released, lol.
I used to complain about the absence of female pieces.
Now...well, look at the past couple months. Almost every release has been female:
Red Sonja, Captain Marvel, Purgatory, BR Catwoman, Dark Phoenix, Evil Lyn....
It really isn't saving us much anymore.
However, with so many pieces being released, it is easier pushing purchases for later.
High edition sizes, market saturation....I am really not worried about prolonging or missing purchases.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #2137
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I only collect female characters too. I also customize statues and build kits of female characters only. I do not think i can stomach spending days and weeks working on some dude.

I dont know what kind of psychological condition that could be. Is that even normal? Lol
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #2138
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecollector80 View Post
I only collect female characters too. I also customize statues and build kits of female characters only. I do not think i can stomach spending days and weeks working on some dude.

I dont know what kind of psychological condition that could be. Is that even normal? Lol
I am the same way. I try to stick to all female figures, statues and kits. I think a male kit would bore the crap out of me, lol. I might be able to stomach it for a client. But they seem to understand that I enjoy female pieces more. I have a few male pieces, mostly Batman related.

I don't think it is a condition. Female characters are just cooler. Lol.
Most of my collector friends focus on female pieces.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #2139
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
I am the same way. I try to stick to all female figures, statues and kits. I think a male kit would bore the crap out of me, lol. I might be able to stomach it for a client. But they seem to understand that I enjoy female pieces more. I have a few male pieces, mostly Batman related.

I don't think it is a condition. Female characters are just cooler. Lol.
Most of my collector friends focus on female pieces.

The only figures i have that are male are

Hot Toys Sgt Barnes
Gentle Giant 1/4 Glenn Riot Gear
SSC Frozen Dead Reich soldier 1/4
Mezco Thundercats Panthro, Tygra, Lion-o, Mumm-Ra

Thats it...out of 3 bedrooms full of 1/6, 1/4 scale boxed statues and figures.
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #2140
ChromeColossus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Guilty, 96% of my Collection are those of the Fairer Sex

Except for the Stand Alone Colossus Collection, and Deadpool + Gambit

Oh and Superman and Batman
ChromeColossus is offline   Reply With Quote