Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Hot Toys

Old 01-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #1
Bonez
Doh!

First Hot Toys issue

Love collecting and have had a bunch of Hot Toys over the years, this is the first one that seems to have had an issue. Was fine when i bought it. Went to move around some of my Hot Toys and grabbed Robocop. He's been in the same pose pretty much since I bought him. Pretty standard pose, and always careful with posing him. Well I pick him up and his right arm falls off at the shoulder. I know I didn't bust him while posing him and no one else has touched him. I look in and the shoulder socket and it has multiple cracks in it and the shoulder/arm will not sit back in it. what the hell? This sucks. Any way to repair this or has anyone else had this issue? I hate when they do die cast and have plastic joints. They never hold up. I bought this brand new so its not like a reseller sold me a busted used one. Just an FYI to anyone that might have this guy. Seen a few videos online about the broken shoulder so looks like it is semi common.

Bonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:02 AM   #2
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Sorry to hear. Now I am concerned about touching my Robo. Already annoyed about the cracked rubber on my ED-209
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
omigeo
Alpha Flight

So sorry.
This is why I never buy these types of figures. The joints start to malfunction plus they dry rot. I've had a figure I loved dearly (mushishi) and his joints just deteriorated. This will happen at times after a period of time. Could be the type of material they are using.

What a bummer. I know that feeling.
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #4
jkno4u
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Sorry to see this damage. It's sad seeing the low quality rubber, pleather and now plastics used by HT and many other collectible companies.
jkno4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:45 PM   #5
Bonez
Doh!

I know... when i looked at the joint i don't know why they used clear plastic. I find it much more brittle than if they used the black plastic they used on the ball joint. You think for a die cast figure they would use beefier joints and better materials.
Bonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
chunkster702
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

This plastic rot used to happen on my spawn figures because I had them in my garage. I live in Vegas so very dry year round and very hot summers.
This makes me want to sell off my hot toys....
chunkster702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:45 PM   #7
omigeo
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkster702 View Post
This plastic rot used to happen on my spawn figures because I had them in my garage. I live in Vegas so very dry year round and very hot summers.
This makes me want to sell off my hot toys....
You don't have to have them anywhere in particular for that to happen though. My house is pretty much cool all year round since that's how I like it.

When I had picked up my figure one day to box him and adjust his sleeve, it just slid right out of that sleeve. So I had to take off his coat and saw that the part just rotted thru.

It could be that you might have to keep moving those joints perhaps?
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #8
ALF_1
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
Love collecting and have had a bunch of Hot Toys over the years, this is the first one that seems to have had an issue. Was fine when i bought it. Went to move around some of my Hot Toys and grabbed Robocop. He's been in the same pose pretty much since I bought him. Pretty standard pose, and always careful with posing him. Well I pick him up and his right arm falls off at the shoulder. I know I didn't bust him while posing him and no one else has touched him. I look in and the shoulder socket and it has multiple cracks in it and the shoulder/arm will not sit back in it. what the hell? This sucks. Any way to repair this or has anyone else had this issue? I hate when they do die cast and have plastic joints. They never hold up. I bought this brand new so its not like a reseller sold me a busted used one. Just an FYI to anyone that might have this guy. Seen a few videos online about the broken shoulder so looks like it is semi common.

Really sorry this has happened to you!

I am pretty handy and crafty to fix things, but I never attempted to fix the issue you are having. I am just a novice and do repairs or minor fixes on my own collection.

The steps I would take is to reach out to maybe Sideshow or try to reach Hot Toys which is nearly impossible to reach HT and ask if you can get a ball socket replacement so you can remove the faulty one and install a new socket. This can be possible, but you will have to put a lot of effort to research where you can buy that shoulder joint

If it is too much time, effort and difficult to search down a shoulder socket and then attempt to remove the old one and put the new one in then I would go to plan “B”

If it would be too hard to locate that specific replacement part and too difficult to repair it that way I would then suggest to pick a position and pose that you really like and use hobby glue to glue it back in place.

I know it would stink to have to glue the ball joint back to the shoulder as you would not be able to move the shoulder at all but still may allow you to rotate the forearm and hand. The shoulder will be set in place once you glue it... I know gluing is not the best option and is probably not what you want to do, but that might be the only solution if you cant fix the shoulder socket.

If you do have to glue it try to remember when gluing that too much glue is actually bad and wont stick as good as if you just apply a small amount, just enough but not too much it will bond together better. If you glue it i would hold it tight for a few minutes and I usually hold it for like 10 min since Im always worried it didnt dry enough. If you use too much glue it will not dry fast.

Good Luck and let us know here what you will do to either attempt a fix or is robo out for the count?
ALF_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:52 AM   #9
mickey
The Avengers

I also have an issue with my Ion Spider...
It's eye sunk and I can't get it into place, because it's sticking to other eye's magnet.
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote