Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-19-2020, 07:57 PM   #27071
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Nightmare on Elm Street series is overrated from start to finish for me. Never liked any of them. I like the first Halloween but they should have just left it at that and not made any sequels.
I've always liked Halloween 2 since it takes place on the same night and ends Myers. It would have been pretty great to just have those two films as a start and finish and Carpenter's original idea of all the subsequent sequels being an anthology series, but alas, greed.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:47 PM   #27072
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
These movies are actually a lot better than I remember, if you haven't seen them in a while you might be pleasantly surprised! they all have some really great parts, Jason goes to hell and Jason X are definitely the bottom 2 from the pack but considering how many they made thats not too bad, the rest are all awesome IMO

Sadly I didnt get the posters those were exclusive to scream factory online orders and they sold out instantly apparently, those posters will be a big time collectors item down the road (similar to the halloween box set that came out a few years ago)
i've rewatched them all within the last couple years, so i know i still enjoy them.... well most of them, i agree about 9 as being awful, but i liked X a lot more than 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post

Friday the 13th: Part 5 "A New Beginning" (1985) - its hard to talk about this one without giving anything away. After the last and "final" movie, they apparently wanted to go in a bit of a different direction. This movie is kind of like the Halloween 3 of the Friday the 13th world, different...but as a one-off effort there is a lot here to enjoy and it fits in well with the overall saga. Tommy Jarvis from the previous movie returns, although not played by Corey Feldman this time. The movie takes place 5 years after the previous so Tommy is grown up now and after being in and out of psychiatric institutes hes moved to a halfway house. A murder takes place there which sets off an unexpected chain of events - 7/10
i love part 5, one of my favorites in the series and was always disappointed they didn't continue the direction, i think it would've been a much cooler chain of events then making Jason a zombie.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:41 PM   #27073
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
i've rewatched them all within the last couple years, so i know i still enjoy them.... well most of them, i agree about 9 as being awful, but i liked X a lot more than 8.

i love part 5, one of my favorites in the series and was always disappointed they didn't continue the direction, i think it would've been a much cooler chain of events then making Jason a zombie.
I really don't know what they were thinking with 9 lol definitely the worst in the series. I agree part 5 was really cool, and I liked the idea as a one-off, but I dont think I would trade Jason forever, his gradual deterioration over the movies is one of my favorite things about this series, and I just love seeing Jason on screen
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:13 PM   #27074
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

finished up the marathon...

Friday the 13th: Part 8 "Jason takes Manhattan" (1989) - the title on this one is a bit misleading as only the last part of the movie actually takes place in Manhattan, and the rest occurs on the cruise ship on the way to Manhattan (a cruise ship that somehow got from Crystal lake to the ocean...) The original idea was for most of the movie to be in Manhattan but it was too expensive for them, many of the scenes that were supposed to be in Manhattan were actually filmed in Canada, with only a few shots actually being filmed in Manhattan. Overall though I still enjoyed this movie, I dont mind that most of it takes place on the cruise ship as I thought that was a cool setting for Jason to go on a rampage - 7/10

Friday the 13th: Part 9 "Jason goes to Hell" (1993) - I dont know what they were thinking with this one, pretty much Jason gets obliterated by the army and his remains are taken to a coroner. The coroner decides to eat Jasons still beating heart, and because of that he gets possessed by Jason. Jason goes from body to body until finally he is able to possess the body of a blood relative and inturn be reborn (they tried to get mythological with this one, they did the blood relative body transfer thing, theres also a mystical dagger that can kill Jason, a lot of ideas that came out of nowhere) so pretty much Jason isn't really in the movie at all, but the killings are carried out by normal people possessed by Jason. The best part about this one is the ending where Jason encounters a certain burnt bladed glove wearing killer...sort of - 5/10

Freddy VS Jason (2003) - Im putting this one before Jason X because although it was released after, chronologically it takes place before Jason X. After the events of F13 part 9 "Jason goes to hell" and Nightmare on Elm Street part 6 "Freddys Dead" both of these killers are in hell, this movie serves as a way to resurrect both and they do it very cleverly, the story is actually impressive. Freddy now without a physical form has to find a way to gain enough power to re-enter the dreams of the Elm Street children so they'll fear him enough to return. Freddy searches hell and figures he can have some fun with Jason, who after the events of his last movie is dead, but the thing about Jason is he can't die, which is what Freddy tells Jason as hes disguised as his mother to trick Jason into healing himself back to life. Once Jason is back Freddy (still disguised as his mother) instructs him to go to Elm Street and kill the children there in their beds. Once the murders start the townspeople think Freddy is back due to the murders being done while kids are in bed, so because of this fear Freddy becomes strong enough to return...the only thing is now that Jason is off the leash, Freddy can't get him to stop killing, Jason even takes some of Freddys intended victims which enrages Freddy further, so naturally he decides this dog needs to be put down for good. The acting by the kids in this movie is truly terrible, even for nightmare or F13 movie standards, but the creative story more than makes up for it, and the fight scenes between Freddy and Jason are top notch (Freddy even gets to appear in his full demon form briefly in this movie which I thought was really cool) - 8.5/10

Friday the 13th: Part 10 "Jason X" (2002) - years after his encounter with Freddy, Jason is still on the loose and unstoppable. The government decides that since he can't be killed, they will put him into cryogenic freezing for the future to worry about. Fast forward 445 years into the future, the earth is too polluted for human life so humans now live on a new planet called "earth-two" (real original name guys...) A researcher and his students decide to take a field trip to the original earth where they find the frozen Jason and the last person he was trying to kill who was also cryogenically frozen. One thing leads to another and Jason is thawed out and wreaks havoc on the ship and its residents. I thought the story for this one was pretty cool, but the big thing that turned me off was the obvious low budget. The CG was bad, the "futuristic" costumes were bad, the sets were all bad, it just really took me out of the movie. If the movie had a bigger budget with better sets and such it would have actually been pretty good overall. Although this movie definitely had some good parts, it had one of the best kills in F13 history (the liquid nitrogen insta-freeze) and Jason also gets to fight a super powerful android which gives him a run for his money. Also near the end of the movie Jason gets restored by nanite technology and turns into a Cyborg which looked really awesome (IMO at least, I know many wouldn't agree) - 6/10

Friday the 13th (2009 Reboot) - as far as reboots go, I've seen worse, and this is definitely not the worst F13 movie. This reboot was a lot better than the nightmare on elm street reboot, and I'd say about on par with Rob Zombies Halloween reboots. This one starts with Jason as the killer right away, but they remade scenes from the original F13 part one which covers the events of that movie in a quick way, they even have scenes of Jason with the sack like in part 2, then he gets the mask later in the movie, so the reboot kind of combines parts 1 to part 3 of the original movies which was neat. They even had a homage to the famous sleeping bag scene in this one. Overall it felt faithful to the Jason series, they didnt add in any crazy unnecessary twists or change the formula up much, it was just Jason doing his thing which was cool. It starred Danielle Panabaker (Killer Frost from the Flash) and Jared Padalecki (Sam from Supernatural) and although visually this wasn't one of my favorite Jason designs, it was still a fun watch with lots of good kills, especially in the "killer cut" version - 7.5/10
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #27075
Mister H
Gen 13

Young Frankenstein. 9/10
A lot of that score is nostalgia but it's still very funny and quotable. Definitely Mel Brooks' best film......yes, even better than Blazing Saddles. Fight me.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:07 PM   #27076
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post

Young Frankenstein. 9/10
A lot of that score is nostalgia but it's still very funny and quotable. Definitely Mel Brooks' best film......yes, even better than Blazing Saddles. Fight me.

What in the wide, wide world of sports is a-goin' on here?!!
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:16 PM   #27077
jeremydmc
Black Panther

YES!!!! Love Young Frankenstein......and Blazing Saddles....and History of the World Part 1......
jeremydmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:05 AM   #27078
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
What in the wide, wide world of sports is a-goin' on here?!!
Lol,....Slim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
YES!!!! Love Young Frankenstein......and Blazing Saddles....and History of the World Part 1......
“No,no,no,no,no,no....YES!”
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:31 AM   #27079
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

ummmm Spaceballs anyone?
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:05 PM   #27080
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

The Lincoln Lawyer 7/10