Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 07-07-2020, 03:50 PM   #51
XMAN
Ultron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Aragorn looks amazing! That said I’m probably going to be the lone voice of dissent here by saying I’m not a fan of the base. It’s not that it doesn’t look cool, it’s just WAY too overpowering. Just my opinion but a base should never overshadow the piece it’s supporting.
I get what your saying...and I can see that having that effect on some....But for me the base is what has me considering this for order. For me it just tells a bigger story....I don't feel it's taking anything away...Just when I thought I was not getting anymore lotr pieces this comes along....ugh!
XMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:18 PM   #52
DarkShadow
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Brian View Post
Yes, they all remind me of "figurines". Not so much high end but kind of "soft" and representational in their look.

Something you would see The Franklin Mint produce. A bit like those resin Faerie and Dragons you see on the shelves of the new age store.

I only posted the above not because it was the worst example, but rather one of their most recent efforts.

I think the line is geared more toward the "quantity" approach, have smaller less detailed figurines but have lots of them grouped in a collection. It creates a wonderful impact and display. But if you have just one on its own, it falls a bit short IMO.

Probably the wrong thread to debate these two separate companies so Ill leave it at that, just my personal opinion.

Prime 1 Aragorn will be my first LOTR statue and I'm pretty excited.
I don't exactly agree with the view they're less detailed, when Weta gets it right, they're top class when it comes to quality, a good example of that would be Isildur:

https://youtu.be/xCaImqOA8fo?t=105

What I do agree with is that because they're smaller, they are less like centerpieces, and work much better with more of them. I do get that, if you want just one or two LOTR pieces to really pop out, you wouldn't choose Weta (except for their masters collection line maybe).

I would love a screaming sculpt for this one, like the moment in the movie when he charges with the army of the dead.
DarkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:48 PM   #53
Ranz
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
I don't exactly agree with the view they're less detailed, when Weta gets it right, they're top class when it comes to quality, a good example of that would be Isildur:

What I do agree with is that because they're smaller, they are less like centerpieces, and work much better with more of them. I do get that, if you want just one or two LOTR pieces to really pop out, you wouldn't choose Weta (except for their masters collection line maybe).

I would love a screaming sculpt for this one, like the moment in the movie when he charges with the army of the dead.
To be fair that one looks much better ...Yes a screaming portrait would be cool.
Ranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:37 PM   #54
dao2
Cyclops

That ring is massive in his hand :P It's before it shrunk I guess?
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:08 PM   #55
Thor57
Teen Titans

I dont mind if likeness is a little off. Seeing as how these are movie pieces based off of books, I can let my imagination do the walking if I need to. Same with the daenerys targaryen piece. As long as it looks good, sculpted well and the paint is crisp.

I like the base, but hope they arent planning on doing the same bases for Gimili and Legolas. I really want those two to be from the Fellowship of the Ring and not Return of the king. As for the collection, I really only desire the fellowship, the bad guys we've seen, and maybe Elrond.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:56 PM   #56
#Brian
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post

That Isildur looks great. I believe it is considered in of their best.

I wouldn't be opposed to a screaming switch out head as the exclusive on this Prime 1 release.
#Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:43 PM   #57
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

There’s a good chance they do an alternate head of Aragorn yelling, Prime 1 does often include many different portraits on their pieces.

I absolutely love this one so far. The King and Army of The Dead base is really great.
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:08 PM   #58
MegatronG1
The X-Men

King of the Dead needs a grinning portrait.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:01 PM   #59
Jon_Boston_83
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Brian View Post
Yes, they all remind me of "figurines". Not so much high end but kind of "soft" and representational in their look.

Something you would see The Franklin Mint produce. A bit like those resin Faerie and Dragons you see on the shelves of the new age store.

I only posted the above not because it was the worst example, but rather one of their most recent efforts.

I think the line is geared more toward the "quantity" approach, have smaller less detailed figurines but have lots of them grouped in a collection. It creates a wonderful impact and display. But if you have just one on its own, it falls a bit short IMO.

Probably the wrong thread to debate these two separate companies so Ill leave it at that, just my personal opinion.

Prime 1 Aragorn will be my first LOTR statue and I'm pretty excited.
Amazing. Everything you just said...is wrong

Resin faeries?? I've never been so offended! These are heavy weight polstone pieces of art by professional filmmakers!
Jon_Boston_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #60
#Brian
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Boston_83 View Post
Amazing. Everything you just said...is wrong

Resin faeries?? I've never been so offended! These are heavy weight polstone pieces of art by professional filmmakers!
My bad, didn't mean to offend. My opinion is just that, I'm just as right/wrong as you are. Just a matter of personal preference.

I am doing some investigative research and not having much luck finding in hand production pieces I have found the professional marketing photos of the hand painted prototypes. Im sure the factory pieces are even nicer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200708_170316.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	131530   Click image for larger version

Name:	1542674371d9616066b9540684b5a38d87e0389529.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	131531   Click image for larger version

Name:	12500-nene-thomas-lamentation-swans-black-fairy-statue-450x550.jpg
Views:	54