Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #11
majestic1
Green Lantern Corps
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post

Both Gunn and Trump's comments are despicable. I don't think there's a productive point in comparing which is "worse".
One remark was about the intimate flirting between a Male and Females and the other remark was about rape and sex with children. I think you can compare which is worse.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #12
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestic1 View Post
One remark was about the intimate flirting between a Male and Females and the other remark was about rape and sex with children. I think you can compare which is worse.
No thanks.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:02 PM   #13
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

The other factor here is, you're not allowed to grow or evolve as a human being.

Artists types can be edgy, emotional, take things too far to get a reaction, it's harder to get a reaction these days and people often reward it. He was a younger man and probably encouraged by things like that.

So those are some traits of some of the types of people that are creative and end up producing characters and stories later in life.

So we go digging into the backgrounds of every creative person that works on Marvel yarns now to be certain they pass the Disney ethics filter for their entire life?

A vetting system? and that won't harm the creative product at the end of the road?

A morality background test? Not a criminal background test now.
Morality investigations?

Hell probably have to fire half or more of those on payrolls.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:03 PM   #14
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Custer View Post
I was expecting a witch hunt overblowing something stupid tha Gunn said, but honestly these tweets are really really bizarre. And it´s not just one tweet, but a bunch of them. I totally understand Disney´s stance here.
Yeah, they really didn't have a choice because those were some pretty disgusting jokes. Still, I hope this isn't the end of his career. I still think he and Zack Snyder made the best modern zombie movie with the Dawn of the Dead remake. They should team up again.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #15
majestic1
Green Lantern Corps
Adamantium Member

It was widely speculated that Gunn was going to announce a Berserk live action film at SDCC today.

He tweeted this image Tuesday -

Old 07-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #16
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

While I'm never going to say a company is wrong for firing someone who obviously said somethings that were way out of line to protect their image and their consumers, I will say that Gunn actually apologized for those tweets 6 years ago. That's before he even made GG1.

So while what he said was terrible, and Disney can do as they like, he did already take ownership if what he said and apologized for it and I don't believe he's made a transgression since.

Just thinking out loud I guess.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:14 PM   #17
risingstar
Jedi Order

Here is the thing... There's room for much debate on this topic. However, the fear presently out there for expressing an opinion or making an off-color joke has become so toxic, people are petrified of saying something remotely controversial.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:14 PM   #18
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
While I'm never going to say a company is wrong for firing someone who obviously said somethings that were way out of line to protect their image and their consumers, I will say that Gunn actually apologized for those tweets 6 years ago. That's before he even made GG1.

So while what he said was terrible, and Disney can do as they like, he did already take ownership if what he said and apologized for it and I don't believe he's made a transgression since.

Just thinking out loud I guess.
There’s a lot of people being slammed for something they did years ago.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:16 PM   #19
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
There’s a lot of people being slammed for something they did years ago.
True, and maybe not enough being slammed for things they are doing currently...but I digress.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:28 PM   #20
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Most men (most people) say or have said pretty gutter crap at some point, I don't think that comes as surprise. At least it should not. Posting it on the net is sort of stupid.

The digital age archives so much that would have been lost in the ether once upon a time.

Let's not get into a contest over it who is worse or who sets standards. I certainly am no example.

Bottom line, there is no forgiveness for it today for whatever reasons you may wish to decide for yourselves, fair or unjust.

We now have a sad reality.....

GOTG3 is probably going to suffer terribly from his absence.

I'm heartbroken over this decision.
Sadly, I agree.
Closed Thread