Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-15-2017, 09:35 AM   #11
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Funny I thougjt the consensus on Voltron was that was a pretty great piece...
I've got him. The sculpt is amazing. He does have quite a lot of plastic on him though. Not the soft pvc type but a lot of his "shell" seems more like the hard ABS playstation shell type plastic. The silver paint on the steel parts vs the mirror chrome paintup on the proto doesnt help matters either. Also the battle damage is lousy- similar to the Wolf lsb sharpie-like veins in the gums.

Its a love/hate relationship. I think most are forgiving about the piece because it is really imposing and intricate. I'm in love with the sculpt and he looks pretty good at normal viewing distance, but when I get closer I kind of want to bang my head against the wall. Hopefully I can afford a repaint one day. Sux to have to say that about a $1200 collectible piece.
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #12
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Voltron is plastic? That's expensive plastic. I cancelled my Man of Steel statue when I'd found out he was made out of plastic too.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #13
Mammal
Blue Falcon

Voltron has plastic pieces on him, just like the last Red Sonja. He’s not entirely or even mostly plastic. The statue is plenty heavy and solid.
Mammal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #14
aa909
The Green Hornet

Fully agree that PVC plastic is a deal breaker for me too. The feel, weight, finer details and paint are superior on polystone IMO. Save the PVC for 1/6th koto pieces.
aa909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:51 AM   #15
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammal View Post
Voltron has plastic pieces on him, just like the last Red Sonja. He’s not entirely or even mostly plastic. The statue is plenty heavy and solid.
Correct, he weighs a ton and is mostly polystone/resin. The plastic parts are mainly all the colorful parts that overlap the underlying sculpted pieces. Since theyre most visible I think theyve been picked up on more. A lot of the first reactions were negative to the plastic. In Sideshows defense I can kind of see the need for ABS where they did use it- but it does come off as a bit plasticky. The paint app might have been better on those parts- I think maybe it went too much with the natural coloring of the plastic? Also the silver paint in the undercarriage gave kind of the same effect the production Sauron piece had which didnt help draw attention away from the ABS.

The real aggravation to me was the bad battle damage. They drew black and silver eyebrows and eyelashes on the yellow and blue lions. On the chest its all evenly spaced brush dabs, in the same place and every other color- silver black silver black.
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #16
MPCanes
The X-Men

Every time it looks like they've got it all together with a string of great releases, something comes along and leaves you scratching their head. With competition at an all time high, they simply can't afford to release crappy statues - it's too easy to take that money elsewhere.

There better be no plastic on that upcoming x-men line...
MPCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #17
tonytiger
The X-Men

The bottom line is they need to tell us what the heck its made of? When you a buy car is it made of steel or plastic? See Saturn..yea out of business because it was made of Plastic..lol Really, Sideshow we are not
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #18
Hellz Manik
Death is hereditary.

I have said this a looog Time ago “we need to stop settling because it’s going to get worse”. I had a massive amount of back lash and so forth but now we have come to this . Stop supporting these products and expect quality ...none of this maybe , we’ll what about nonsense. Let’s talk about poses here for a minute ...I have seen so many people put on how they want a pose for a statue , yet they never listened us, instead give us a michael Keaton batman with his head turning???? ( which if your a true batman fan he could not do that) . Second premium format , yes some people like mix media and some don’t. Sideshow started this....premium format mix material, since premium format (marketing sells) they figured let’s not do mix media anymore and call it a PREMIUM FORMAT, mix media is too much trouble. Last but not least ....some parts have plastic and some don’t , guys what is going on here .....expect the best ....this is your HARD EARNED MONEY .
Hellz Manik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #19
DPmaster
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytiger View Post
The bottom line is they need to tell us what the heck its made of? When you a buy car is it made of steel or plastic? See Saturn..yea out of business because it was made of Plastic..lol Really, Sideshow we are not
Sorry for the side tangent but funny enough, some of the most expensive and technologically advanced supercars/hypercars/race cars are actually made out of plastic. Of course it's not the same type of plastic used in Saturns lol. It's an extremely expensive material and they actually pride themselves of this. They actually make sure it's known that they are using carbon fiber.
DPmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #20
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Funny I thougjt the consensus on Voltron was that was a pretty great piece...
Its a brilliant piece. I dont own it but my buddy does and it really is a brilliant piece. And I guess I have to consider myself extremely lucky to have recieved so many brilliant statues over the last couple years from a company that is supposedly already dead, lol.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote