Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 11-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
schnurzdihurz
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

how to create a fire with clear resin and color?

hey people,
im pretty sure this question was asked somewhere, cant find it with the search function.

i want to create a (camp-)fire, out of clear resin. i want to put a white led-diode into it, to make it look like its really burning.

my question is:
how to color this clear resin, so that it has the typical fire looks?
i dont just want to make it single colored. i thought of some like this:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ps4741a383.jpg

how are the color nuances achieved from that sagat fire? is it all yellow clear resin, where the darker orange parts are painted on? or can all this be achieved by mixing the colors to the clear resin while its fluid?

im also opened up for more realistic looking fires, if such exist. please send a picture link then.

thanks
schnurzdihurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Art Farmer
Sculptor
Sculptor

fire effect

There are two basic types of clear resin: Semi-Clear and Water Clear. Water Clear is more expensive and more temperamental. Semi-Clear is much easier to use and more affordable. The only issue with Semi-Clear is the A side has a light amber tint to it. But for most uses, this isn't an issue. When sculpting for a transparent fire piece, be aware that light will play not only over the piece but through the piece and the variations in density will help move light around more effectively. Once you have your mold, you'll mix the tint into the B or clear side taking into consideration the amber tint of A will later that color some. You'll use a commercially available transparent dye made specifically for tinting urethane resin. Spray a light mold release into the mold and put it in the microwave until its warm to the touch. All castable resins are known as Thermal Cure plastics. They generate heat to turn into a solid. With small parts, there's less mass so a slow cure. A slow cure can cause surface distortion. So casting into a warm mold helps set the surface making for a cleaner casting. But because the mold it war, you'll have less pot time. After the casting it set and you've cleaned the part, you'll want to it several coast of a gloss varnish. Testors or Model Masters make good ones. If you want to heighten the fire effect, paint in a couple of coats or transparent red on the underside of the part. As you move around it, the color with refract within in the piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fire1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	81473  

http://www.timbruckner.com
Art Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
jollyskeleton
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

That's good information right there. Thanks Tim!!
jollyskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
schnurzdihurz
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

thanks for the fast and long reply, tim. its an honor to get my question answered by some great and famous artist like you.

i looked up your book right after i posted here, watching your prometheus-guy fire. what a sweet coincidence gotta love the internet and its possibilities, bringing the world and people together.
schnurzdihurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:13 AM   #5
MartyMcFly160
A day without sunshine is like... night.

nice i was researching the same thing myself
MartyMcFly160 is offline   Reply With Quote