Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #41
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Well technically they aren't strong arming anyone. Any company has the right to not allow the press into early movie viewings. Actually it's been done before and the critics banded together to write unfavorable reviews because they're spiteful. No one is telling the L.A. Times they can't write unfavorable articles but early press viewings of films so critics can write opinion pieces aren't a right of the press, it's something the companies do in order to get favorable word of mouth ahead of releases. So until the press has contractual rights to see the films early they're on their own.

This hate for Disney seems a little crazy to me, especially since they aren't trying to buy Fox in its entirety just the portion they need to get properties back.
I guess you missed the part where I said "I love the Disney brand". I also think you're missing the point. Yes no one is technically telling journalists and critics they can't write unfavorable articles, but Disney was in fact attempting to strong arm those journalists by saying they are no longer welcome to the party. They attempted to set an example by "punishing" The LA Times and banning them from early screenings. Essentially saying to everyone else "if you don't play ball and only write favorable things about us then you will no longer reap certain benefits". It's a bullying tactic, plain and simple. It was important the film critic society stood together on this and announced they wouldn't tolerate such behavior.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:01 PM   #42
built2shred
Phoenix

Luminous is correct, the bottom line is "Write unfavorable stories about Disney (even if their true) and will punish you"

Maybe it rubs me the wrong way because it kind of reminds me of how Trump is, if there is anything written about him showing him in a unfavorable light it's the whole "Fake News", take away their broadcasting licensees, The press is the enemy, etc...etc.... Just a bit to Nazi for my tastes...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:17 PM   #43
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I guess you missed the part where I said "I love the Disney brand". I also think you're missing the point. Yes no one is technically telling journalists and critics they can't write unfavorable articles, but Disney was in fact attempting to strong arm those journalists by saying they are no longer welcome to the party. They attempted to set an example by "punishing" The LA Times and banning them from early screenings. Essentially saying to everyone else "if you don't play ball and only write favorable things about us then you will no longer reap certain benefits". It's a bullying tactic, plain and simple. It was important the film critic society stood together on this and announced they wouldn't tolerate such behavior.
It may be a bullying tactic, but as you said its a benefit. Its not a right of the press and I'll say again it has gone the other way with the press bullying studios when they don't allow advanced screenings. Its just acceptable because Disney is the big corporation and you don't happen to agree with them in this case.

In any event them buying film studios from Fox has isn't going to change that. They are who they are and that pick isn't going to change it one way or another.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:41 PM   #44
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
It may be a bullying tactic, but as you said its a benefit. Its not a right of the press and I'll say again it has gone the other way with the press bullying studios when they don't allow advanced screenings. Its just acceptable because Disney is the big corporation and you don't happen to agree with them in this case.

In any event them buying film studios from Fox has isn't going to change that. They are who they are and that pick isn't going to change it one way or another.
The press "bullying" a film studio won't potentially result in an economic climate change that could compromise the way people live in any given city. The tax cuts and incentives big business receives in order for them to remain in certain sectors are out of control. The Anaheim situation with Disney is the perfect example of big business affecting the way of life for those citizens. So no, not the same thing at all.

And I realize the Anaheim situation is slightly off topic from the Fox deal, but it's an example of the sort of thing Disney is willing to do for profit. Fans see an opportunity in this acquisition. All I am saying is there could be significant ramifications in the long run for the film industry as a whole when these sort of deals are made.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:44 PM   #45
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

If this could mean Gladiator and the Shi'ar Imperial Guard being in the Marvel movie verse, I'm on board with Disney buying the Fox movie division...
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:09 AM   #46
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
If this could mean Gladiator and the Shi'ar Imperial Guard being in the Marvel movie verse, I'm on board with Disney buying the Fox movie division...
+1
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:25 AM   #47
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
The press "bullying" a film studio won't potentially result in an economic climate change that could compromise the way people live in any given city. The tax cuts and incentives big business receives in order for them to remain in certain sectors are out of control. The Anaheim situation with Disney is the perfect example of big business affecting the way of life for those citizens. So no, not the same thing at all.

And I realize the Anaheim situation is slightly off topic from the Fox deal, but it's an example of the sort of thing Disney is willing to do for profit. Fans see an opportunity in this acquisition. All I am saying is there could be significant ramifications in the long run for the film industry as a whole when these sort of deals are made.
No what it shows is the press is willing to alter their stories to get what they want if the feel slighted giving possible false information to the public to sway them in one direction or another. Its a dangerous and slippery slope and goes against jounalistic integrity and is in part what gives politicians the ability to site "fake news".

But as you said off topic and while this deal may effect the film industry negatively as I said previously it could also have positives for other smaller studios being able to come up and fill gaps left by one studio leaving. We don't know yet, and with the deal not being in current talks we may never know.

Last edited by Josh-a-tron; 11-08-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #48
Demona
Martian Manhunter

If it means that I get a 5'11', blued eyed, adult Ororo -- I'm all about Disney buying FOX.

As for Disney and the wildlife, I'm sorry. I really am, but if you go to Florida -- which I did all the time as a kid to visit my Aunt, who lived by a pond -- you were told to watch out of gators. That's not Disney's fault. You can't and should NOT fence in, or alter wild life habits to suit humans. It's not fair and it's not right. We, as frankly a pointless species, have encroached on the habitats enough. I really think of it all as Darwinism. Those parents KNEW they were by the lake and lost track of their child, in the dark, come on. Nebraska or not - you know about gators and how to read signs and take precautions.

Ohhhhh the media debate. Good for the LA Times. Good for Disney for realizing what their actions were akin too. Social media, bloggers believing they are "journalists", and false senses of entitlement have really brought down what I used to think of as a respectable and creditable field. Yes, there is still solid journalism. But all too often I find that those same entities who do a hard-hitting, credible piece of news also fall victim to the need to cash grab/sell just off the headline. WTF has happened to our society?

Again....I just don't understand the point of our species and welcome our robot overlords that we will build.
Demona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #49
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
If it means that I get a 5'11', blued eyed, adult Ororo -- I'm all about Disney buying FOX.

As for Disney and the wildlife, I'm sorry. I really am, but if you go to Florida -- which I did all the time as a kid to visit my Aunt, who lived by a pond -- you were told to watch out of gators. That's not Disney's fault. You can't and should NOT fence in, or alter wild life habits to suit humans. It's not fair and it's not right. We, as frankly a pointless species, have encroached on the habitats enough. I really think of it all as Darwinism. Those parents KNEW they were by the lake and lost track of their child, in the dark, come on. Nebraska or not - you know about gators and how to read signs and take precautions.

Ohhhhh the media debate. Good for the LA Times. Good for Disney for realizing what their actions were akin too. Social media, bloggers believing they are "journalists", and false senses of entitlement have really brought down what I used to think of as a respectable and creditable field. Yes, there is still solid journalism. But all too often I find that those same entities who do a hard-hitting, credible piece of news also fall victim to the need to cash grab/sell just off the headline. WTF has happened to our society?

Again....I just don't understand the point of our species and welcome our robot overlords that we will build.
Well yes and no, When I say Fence it off I mean don't let people near the water's edge, not fence the gators in. There should be a fence that gives a good enough Shore line for Wildlife and keeps humans away from the water so they can't interact with the animals that may be living there. That way they live in peace and people don't do anything stupid.

Last edited by Josh-a-tron; 11-08-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #50
supermetroid
Teen Titans

I'm sure it's already been said but my biggest concern is turning movies like Deadpool and Wolverine into PG-13 more kid friendly movies and just all the movies being less serious altogether.

Side note, I remember reading the old EGM magazines back before online reviews were a thing and it was pretty obvious there were paid/favored reviews where big budget games that ended up being poor got good early "exclusive" reviews. When big money's involved there's always going to be favors in any industry I guess.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote