Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #1501
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
No, its really not. Artists dont get to these levels of skill and these levels in a company like Sideshow by not caring about the quality of the art they do. I see right through posts like this like they were a freshly cleaned window. You would be VERY hard pressed to make a more inaccurate statement regarding the artists working at Sideshow.
Dude. He's not talking about the sculptors, artists, prototype painters, concept designers, photographers, secretaries, janitors or parking attendants.

He's taking about Sideshow corporate.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #1502
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
No, its really not. Artists dont get to these levels of skill and these levels in a company like Sideshow by not caring about the quality of the art they do. I see right through posts like this like they were a freshly cleaned window. You would be VERY hard pressed to make a more inaccurate statement regarding the artists working at Sideshow.
This is nothing short of laughable

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #1503
Python
Omega Red

I don't think anybody is saying that the art directors and sculptors etc don't care. Far from it! SSC have some really talented and genuinely likable people on the books. But when said people make something as crazy cool as the Wolf LSB.... And then somebody else takes it off their hands, makes it plastic, doens't even green light a name plaque to match the rest, charges TWICE as much as the others, leaves it with visible seam lines and then pops it in a plain white box for excited customers to receive. It is hard not to feel like somebody over there doesn't care quite so much as the artists doing all of the hard work. Sadly, many of those same decent people are Sideshows customer face on here and so receive the criticism. Double whammy... Sucks for them and sucks for us sadly. Group hug, we probably all need it, Now where are those Prime 1 Predators...
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #1504
DPmaster
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

What Sideshow did with that Wolf Predator LSB has really put a damper on my excitement for Sideshow products. I was really excited and looking forward to doing day 1 POs for both the Wolverine and Iron Man MK3 based on some of the amazing stuff they've put out the last few years like Captain Marvel and Bane. Now I'm not so sure. For me, a lot of that good will Sideshow built up has been reversed with them putting out pieces like that Wolf LSB. At this point, I'm extremely hesitant with POing anything from Sideshow now.
DPmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #1505
COI

There are artists, corporate decision-making and production. Of course these are all interconnected, but one bad decision/cut corner in one of these areas can ruin the whole pie.

I don't think anyone denies that Sideshow has the best team of artists in the business. The problem comes in translating that amazing art into production. If all of Sideshow's products matched their prototypes, they would have no competition.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #1506
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

I go back to stating Sideshow should list what these statues are made of. If that changes, customers should be contacted and have the ability to cancel without penalties.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #1507
Dirt Torpedo
The Thunderbolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalSpike View Post
They have done some great stuff - even recently.

I don't see too much outside of the Predator/Alien franchises because I'm not a huge superhero or gaming fan, BUT . . .
  • The Lobo & Dawg from 2 years back were 100%/perfect.
  • Last months Red Sonja was well received (minor issues with magnets & forehead hair).
  • Some of the recent art direction (E.G. their Deadpool) was very impressive.

But when it comes to Predator & Alien stuff - they keep dropping the ball. The folks working on these releases either don't know enough about the characters or simply don't care.

Nail on the head. Every Predator statue/maquette has had at least one glaring problem with it. It won't change so it's easier to take your custom elsewhere.
Dirt Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:40 PM   #1508
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I don't think anybody is saying that the art directors and sculptors etc don't care. Far from it! SSC have some really talented and genuinely likable people on the books. But when said people make something as crazy cool as the Wolf LSB.... And then somebody else takes it off their hands, makes it plastic, doens't even green light a name plaque to match the rest, charges TWICE as much as the others, leaves it with visible seam lines and then pops it in a plain white box for excited customers to receive. It is hard not to feel like somebody over there doesn't care quite so much as the artists doing all of the hard work. Sadly, many of those same decent people are Sideshows customer face on here and so receive the criticism. Double whammy... Sucks for them and sucks for us sadly. Group hug, we probably all need it, Now where are those Prime 1 Predators...
SS is ultimately responsible for the end product of whatever ships. Was there no QC checks to make sure of what they are shipping out to the customer? This is why I am so dumbfounded by SS. They have some of the best artists and talent in the world...have all the licenses that matter, and do great in house work all across the board....

BUT....

The factory sometimes puts out BS. That falls on SS...unfortunately. You can't have standout departments in other areas but be absolutely bad in the other area that really matters. Everything has to be in balance.

Thankfully, most SS product in the past couple of years have been much better in terms of QC and care. This....not so much.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:42 PM   #1509
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

You can have the best artists and show the best protos in the business but if you can't replicate that at production level then it means nothing.

This is the exact reason why people have flocked to XM and Prime 1 because they are 99% guaranteed a product that's representative of whats being advertised.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #1510
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
There are artists, corporate decision-making and production. Of course these are all interconnected, but one bad decision/cut corner in one of these areas can ruin the whole pie.

I don't think anyone denies that Sideshow has the best team of artists in the business. The problem comes in translating that amazing art into production. If all of Sideshow's products matched their prototypes, they would have no competition.
Absolutely 100% disagree. The correct wording should be...SS has SOME of the best team artists in the business. But other companies across the board have industry leading talent associated with them as well. Just as bit if not every bit as great as SS. Talent runs rampant around the world.

Even if all of SS products matched their prototypes, THEY WOULD STILL HAVE TONS OF COMPETITION.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote