Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 10-26-2020, 12:46 PM   #131
jeremydmc
Black Panther

I think it looks odd without the wings as well. All of the comic book iterations I have read all had wings.

First appearance of the armor in Kingdom Come #3.

Second appearance in the Wonder Woman series.

There are more issues where she wears it but at least in the comic books the wings are cannon and I just prefer it with the wings. Still a beautiful statue with or without. I would have been more apt to purchase it personally with the wings.
jeremydmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:11 PM   #132
chronos1919
Nightwing

To each their own. I don't miss the wings at all. There are plenty of other WW statues that have them and I appreciate not having to make room in my display for the added wingspan.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:16 PM   #133
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

I think it's fair enough to critique the statue for the lack of wings, but honestly - who cares? The statue is sold out, and the people who matter (the ones who bought it) bought it knowing there were no wings and were satisfied.

If you didn't buy it, and were anyway put off because of a lack of wings - then where is the problem?
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:19 PM   #134
pdenham
Teen Titans

For me, less is more here.

I often roll my eyes at guys going all horndog over the posteriors of female sculpts. I gotta admit though, this entire figure from behind is one of the most alluring I've ever seen. Even more so because it's not trying to be sexy, it just is sexy- sort of in the way any good, streamlined industrial design is sexy.

Part of that is the design of the costume, and part of it is how it illustrates and enhances the female form underneath-while at the same time fully concealing it.

Honestly, a big part of why I was seriously considering this was because of how beautiful it looked from behind. The wings would have totally obscured that quality.

Also her stance here is simple but emphasizes no-nonsense, ready to rumble, power. Wings would have thrown that off too, I think.

Just a little too outside my comfort zone as far as price, but this thing rocks hard- just as it is- IMO.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:28 PM   #135
chronos1919
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
For me, less is more here.

I often roll my eyes at guys going all horndog over the posteriors of female sculpts. I gotta admit though, this entire figure from behind is one of the most alluring I've ever seen. Even more so because it's not trying to be sexy, it just is sexy- sort of in the way any good, streamlined industrial design is sexy.

Part of that is the design of the costume, and part of it is how it illustrates and enhances the female form underneath-while at the same time fully concealing it.

Honestly, a big part of why I was seriously considering this was because of how beautiful it looked from behind. The wings would have totally obscured that quality.

Also her stance here is simple but emphasizes no-nonsense, ready to rumble, power. Wings would have thrown that off too, I think.

Just a little too outside my comfort zone as far as price, but this thing rocks hard- just as it is- IMO.
Agreed. I'll likely be placing it on a turntable if I don't have a centralized position (and I likely won't) to display it in.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:30 PM   #136
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronos1919 View Post
Queen Studios makes some incredible and lifelike 1:1 busts. I'm not as impressed with their other offerings. I also don't have (or want) the space available for the gold armor WW with wings, though it can be a good look. If JND Studios comes near the prototype with their production pieces I think they'll be the new standard for 1:3 statues in quality and likeness.

I can't speak for everyone but here are a few other reasons I jumped on this immediately:

Low edition size - 700 isn't tiny, but I prefer a collectible that is limited and sells out quickly.

High grade materials - Silicon that better captures the look of human skin than polystone, rooted hair, glass eyes, etc. I don't see any other companies doing all of these things in this scale. They also have talented artists working on their production head and hand sculpts.

Scale - 1:3 is the largest (aside from 1:1) scale that I'm willing to collect. The space required to display them well is already considerable and I feel that 1:2 statues often look like small children in costumes because of their awkward size.

Transparency - Their high quality and detailed videos on Youtube give a lot of insight into their process and give me quite a bit of confidence that they'll go the extra mile to deliver on their promises. Time will tell for sure but it's a good start.

One statue edition - I'm getting tired of the studios that offer 2-3+ different editions of a statue. Sure, each has a low-ish production run, but combined it generally brigngs the count into the thousands. I don't want to have to decide between a regular, deluxe, premium, etc. edition. It's nice when the manufacturer has focus. Quite hyperbolic but think of the Louvre musem in Paris housing the Venus de Milo and someone walks up to it and asks "is this the deluxe version?" It just seems silly to me to have all of these variants. First4Figures, Prime 1, and Queen Studios are some of the worst offenders, in my opinion. Sometimes offering 3-4 versions of the same statue. Sure, it offers options to customers but I don't know that it's necessary at these scales and prices.
I’m gonna play devil’s advocate here.
700 isn’t a low edition size, that seems rather the norm nowadays, if you except Sideshow who lives on another planet.
A material that begins its disintegration since the first day of its fabrication doesn’t seem high grade to me. Let’s say this material offers some easier use and opportunities that other materials like pvc or resin can’t offer at this moment. Like I already said, I have no doubt that kind of silicon will belongs to the prehistoric times as soon as a new material combining the advantages of silicon and resin will appear. A new material that clearly will be more adapted to the statues and their longevity which does’nt have to be an option.
About the scale, to each their own of course. ½ doesn’t seem awkward to me. I still see a statue.
Transparency is a plus, no doubt. And I do like too seeing the other side of the scene.
One statue edition. Honestly, I don’t see where is the problem. Deluxe éditions exist in many artistic fields. Buy a one of a kind. Problem solved.
Having the choice doesn‘t distort the artistic approach, nor does corrupt it, and simply leaves you the choice of the ideal representation in your eyes of the object of all your attention.

On a side note, I’m pretty sure the museum would have chosen a complete Venus de Milo, if it had had the choice
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #137
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I think it's fair enough to critique the statue for the lack of wings, but honestly - who cares? The statue is sold out, and the people who matter (the ones who bought it) bought it knowing there were no wings and were satisfied.

If you didn't buy it, and were anyway put off because of a lack of wings - then where is the problem?
Probably those who didn't buy it because the lack of wings?
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:40 PM   #138
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Quote:

No problem at all. I was just saying I would have PO'd before the sell out if it had wings because I prefer that look.

There are several other companies to choose from to get one with wings and I will purchase from one of them.

I was also not aware that my opinion only matters if I actually buy the product. Is that a new forum rule I overlooked? That should greatly cut down on the number of posts from all the members on here.

Only post your opinion if you actually buy the product...otherwise be quiet.
jeremydmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #139
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:

No problem at all. Just engaging in friendly discussion about a statue.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:57 PM   #140
Asgard
Deadman

I'm already out because of the real hair.
But for me it is the best golden armor WW. Her face, her gaze ... simply fantastic.
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote