Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 06-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
BornFreeSF
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Fixing up my Green Vega

Hey guys

Hoping you can help me. I know there's a number of threads floating around on this subject but I didn't want to get lost in the middle of a thread with a different topic, so I chose to start a new thread :-)

I recently purchased a Green Vega with two issues that I know can be fixed to make it mint again!

Issue 1: Lean. This is common and I know some of you have talked about fixing it with a hairdryer. That's all well and good but I'm no expert at this sort of thing so would really appreciate some detailed guidance. I'm concerned that I will botch it up. I also want to understand what part of the statue is bending? I don't want him to have weird legs.

Issue 2: All my claws are broken. Now I know I can glue them without much trouble because they are clean breaks but they are so brittle and delicate. It's like picking up an ancient relic made of stone and just seeing it crumble by the merest touch (I'm not joking).
I've seen other people stregthen the claws or have them replaced. Do any of you have experience of this? do you know the best solution?

I'd appreciate help on both issues. I live in NY, so if you know anyone who has experience with these issues and has the talents to fix them I'd be really grateful.

Here are the images of my soon to be mint grail.....hopefully!

Cheers
Mark
BornFreeSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
BornFreeSF

I literally just glued the claws to see what they would look like:

Looks kind of cool but I need a much better LONG TERM fix. Anybody any thoughts?

Can I replace them with real metal? Should I coat them in something that will strengthen them?

Thanks for your help :-)
Mark
Old 06-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
lemonman6
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

The leaning issue is easy. Take a hair dryer and use it on the ankles while slightly moving the statue up. I did it without any problems.

The only problem with that is that it might only be temporary. Mine went back to leaning within a month. I think you need to move it alittle more than it was originally

The claws I think you need to strengthen and then repaint. If you don't know how to do it, maybe you should look for some painters in the area (lots of painters local to NY).
lemonman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
BornFreeSF

Thanks. I had been warned that it could return to leaning. I wonder if there's a more permanent solution?

How long did it take with the hair dryer. Any tips on how you held it etc.? I just don't want to screw it up.

Re. the claws I just need to know what to use to strengthen and type of paint for claws.
I think I can handle that but i also know a painter who could do it if I feel out of my depth.

The most amazing thing would be to replace the claws completely with metal replicas......not sure if this has been done before....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonman6 View Post
The leaning issue is easy. Take a hair dryer and use it on the ankles while slightly moving the statue up. I did it without any problems.

The only problem with that is that it might only be temporary. Mine went back to leaning within a month. I think you need to move it alittle more than it was originally

The claws I think you need to strengthen and then repaint. If you don't know how to do it, maybe you should look for some painters in the area (lots of painters local to NY).
Old 06-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
dao2
Cyclops

A more permanent solution would be to run a rod through one of the legs but I imagine that wouldn't be too easy.

As for the claws, yes it's been done. Actually I believe there are some pics with a vega that has metal claws in the sf collection pictures here on this subforum.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
BornFreeSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
A more permanent solution would be to run a rod through one of the legs but I imagine that wouldn't be too easy.

As for the claws, yes it's been done. Actually I believe there are some pics with a vega that has metal claws in the sf collection pictures here on this subforum.
Thanks - perhaps I'll post in customs corner and see if anyone can help?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #7
dao2
Cyclops

Unsure :/
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
BornFreeSF

Any better?? I did a little work with the hair dryer. Think he still needs to go over a bit more. Thoughts anyone? I might be going mad....

Old 06-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
BornFreeSF

Old 06-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Ricky Bobby
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

It looks like there has been improvement...but like you said you may need to do a little more...try straightening out his pants where the wrinkles are around his knees to get a better look at the straightening process...
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote