Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 07-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #31
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Well it's obvious that I either cannot articulate how I feel without someone telling me that the opinion is a bad one to have, or "some" are just looking for a reason to get offended. So I will respectfully shutup.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #32
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
Well it's obvious that I either cannot articulate how I feel without someone telling me that the opinion is a bad one to have, or "some" are just looking for a reason to get offended. So I will respectfully shutup.
If "some" refers to yourself then I agree.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #33
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
Ya I actually just started buying single issues regularly 2 years ago. And stopped about 8 months ago. Marvel drove me off. Believe it or not, as a 30 year old white male, I can't relate to a teenage minority female. That's not racist, there is just nothing to relate to, and therefore I have zero interest in any of the characters. So ya, I'm speaking with my wallet and will not be buying anymore comics except for when they let Starlin do his thing which seems to exist outside the marvel universe.
So you've never been able to relate to the Wasp, or the Vision, or the Falcon, because you're not a white woman, synthezoid or black man? Do I have that right?
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:47 PM   #34
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
I didn't insinuate you were racist. Thinking I did is a knee-jerk reaction on your part. I said it's possible for others to enjoy books even though they don't share the main characters' traits of age/gender/race and it's unfortunate you can't do the same.

And Riri Williams IS a new character. She isn't Tony Stark. Not hard.
What this man said
Old 07-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #35
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
Wow, fortunately many readers don't feel the way you do otherwise women and minorities couldn't read any Marvel superhero comics in the 60s.

Another winner from this man
Old 07-09-2016, 02:54 PM   #36
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Personally I don't need to see myself in any of these characters. I'm able to just enjoy the stories without creating some sort of personal connection based on their role, gender or race. It may happen sometimes, but I didn't love Miller's DD run because I connected with it on a personal level.

Change Earth's GL to Kyle, make Sam CA for a while, make Matt Murdock the Black Panther for a while - if it's a cool ass story, I'm with it.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:55 PM   #37
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

But people of color who grew up on comics pretty much had no choice but to read the adventures of a majority white male character field. I do find it hilarious that so many white males find themselves incapable of adapting to stories that challenge this status quo
Old 07-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #38
Parallax
Nightwing

I can relate to a swamp monster, a muslim, a woman, a cat, an alien, and most importantly 4 mutant ninja turtles. You might not be able to relate to every single issue they have, but you don't have to. I don't have to be a mutant turtle to understand the feeling of isolation, being left out, and the importance of family. That's what TMNT is about, it's not about "wow I'm a mutant turtle so I can read this one." I like Simon Baz a lot. I'm not Muslim and I've never stolen a car, but get this, I don't have to have the same life experience as someone to read stories about them! It's a crazy concept, you should try it out sometime.

I don't agree with all of the changes made. I don't like the fact that Marvel keeps making change after change after change. I like Iron Man because I like Tony Stark, not the concept of Iron Man. I like Batman because I like Bruce Wayne. I like the characters because of who they are. Is it racist to not want Tony Stark to be replaced by a black woman? Not at all. I don't want Tony Stark to be replaced by anyone. I can't relate to Kamala Khan as well as a minority teenage girl could, but I can read Miss Marvel and appreciate a good story if it's there.

The arguments going on are dumb. If you don't like change, you don't like change. If you like change, you like change. I'm not a big Marvel reader anymore and I can't afford to spend $3.99 on books that aren't very good. Marvel just isn't Marvel anymore, and I'm not a fan of what it's become.
Parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:53 PM   #39
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Well said

There could genuinely be some good books out there from Marvel but for 3.99 I'm not trying! Maybe I'll jump on a good trade down the road. I am looking forward to that Moongirl and Devil Dinosaur book.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:07 AM   #40
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

I think you guys need to give it a rest...the guy simply said he's not interested in the new Riri Williams as Iron Man book, and tried to give a reasonable explanation why...for him...it does not appeal to him. It has no effect on you or the comics you choose to enjoy. Quit looking for an argument where there isn't one.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote