Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

View Poll Results: Which team benefits (Earth-based) Marvel Universe more?
The Avengers 9 64.29%
The X-Men 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Avengers or the X-Men: Which Team Benefits the Marvel Universe More?

I haven't kept up with the most recent incarnation of either team, but the Avengers seem to tackle every problem, while the X-Men seem to be a beacon of normalcy for the (otherwise trod-upon and/or corruptible) mutantkind of Marvel... I'm talking about mutants who aren't (yet) affiliated with any of the X-teams.

The X-Men seem to tackle mutant-related problems/discrimination.. which ultimately spells disaster for the entirety of the Marvel Universe more often than not (or certainly has the potential to, as most of their threats aren't limited to "in-house"), while the Avengers never seem to poke their heads into X-Men business (minus the recent Phoenix crap).

Half the time, and from what some of the (less-savvy) writers have gotten away with, it seems like the majority of the Avengers wouldn't mind if they woke up tomorrow and mutantkind was wiped off the face of the Earth, while a good portion of the X-Men/etc actually value their human heroic counterparts in the Avengers/Fantastic Four (though, ultimately, they look out for themselves, as well.. as the Avengers aren't a "menace" like the "mutant threat" has always been labelled as being).

So.. which team benefits the Marvel Universe and its inhabitants more? The Avengers, with their world-police of heroes, or the X-Men, who look out for both humans and mutants alike (though, mutants are by far their priority)?

Last edited by Argonus; 01-10-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Added a poll... bored.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Marvel's editors are to blame. They're milking the Avengers for all it's worth because of the movies, cartoons, upcoming TV deals and merchandising. My fondest comic book memories are from the 80's and NOTHING was better than the X-MEN.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

The Avengers and the X-Men have always represented to me the pro and anti establishment points of view for the Marvel universe. The Avengers sanctioned by international governments, while the X-men have largely been persecuted by those same organizations.

While the Avengers may be presented as the greater heroes, its the X-Men who have fought the good fight despite having what seems like the world against them and without the fanfare and glory the Avengers tend to receive.

Both teams have saved the world many times over, but the Avengers tend to be more public about it. I'd say the Avengers benefit the MU more, but the X-Men have overcome greater challenges in their history.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #5
Peter-Vell
a marvelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
it seems like the majority of the Avengers wouldn't mind if they woke up tomorrow and mutantkind was wiped off the face of the Earth,
Don't know if this is really true, though...
Wonderman's best friend is the Beast, and Wondy had/has a major crush on Scarlet Witch. Hawkeye also had a crush on Wanda, and the Vision actually married her.
I have to admit, any kind of Mutant love seems to revolve around Beast & Wanda, though...
Namor is respected, but seldom liked. Same with Professor Xavier. And nobody likes Quicksilver, but that would also include his fellow mutants.

But for benefit: I think back in the 80's & 90's, Marvel wouldn't have survived without the X-Men. But nowadays it's more the Avengers that thrive...
Peter-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
The Avengers and the X-Men have always represented to me the pro and anti establishment points of view for the Marvel universe. The Avengers sanctioned by international governments, while the X-men have largely been persecuted by those same organizations.

While the Avengers may be presented as the greater heroes, its the X-Men who have fought the good fight despite having what seems like the world against them and without the fanfare and glory the Avengers tend to receive.

Both teams have saved the world many times over, but the Avengers tend to be more public about it. I'd say the Avengers benefit the MU more, but the X-Men have overcome greater challenges in their history.
I concur with all this, especially that both teams have saved the 616 a number of times.

That said, I think the team that would be missed more by the citizens of the 616 (not the fans, which may or may not be another story) is the Avengers. Cap is a paragon of heroism in that universe; Thor is the mystic made flesh, and Iron Man is the promise of the future. They're important in many ways, one of them being emotionally, and culturally.

If Wanda's "no more mutants" had truly worked, and the X-Men were no more, they'd be remembered fondly...but it's the loss of the Avengers that might change the world.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

I should've clarified and said "Bendis's Avengers..." he's been with the team for a decade, but he's hardly the only "capable" writer who's ever been on the book; far from it.

Brian's had an agenda from Day 1 with them, and that's no doubt directly affected their relationship with the rest of the Marvel Universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter-Vell View Post
Don't know if this is really true, though...

But for benefit: I think back in the 80's & 90's, Marvel wouldn't have survived without the X-Men. But nowadays it's more the Avengers that thrive...
Old 01-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
I should've clarified and said "Bendis's Avengers..." he's been with the team for a decade, but he's hardly the only "capable" writer who's ever been on the book; far from it.

Brian's had an agenda from Day 1 with them, and that's no doubt directly affected their relationship with the rest of the Marvel Universe.
Definitely. Bendis basically "X-Menned" the Avengers, both in terms of popularity and in terms of group dynamic. Lots of infighting and tension, a complete willingness to change direction, cast, etc., and lots of excitement. He did a pretty good job, IMHO, even if the business model of the industry worked against the casual collector (and continues to do so).
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote