Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 01-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #1
damienjakk
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Dark Souls Remaster

We all knew it was coming, but it's official now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6zrakuxY_s
damienjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:55 PM   #2
Y3E
Gen 13

After playing number 3, I tried the PS3 DS 2 and didn't care for it. I tried the remastered PS4 version and didn't like it also. The graphics and contents of 3 spoiled me and I just found the 2 games lacking.

I have heard great things about DS but I think 3 have spoiled me, so I may be let down.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:19 AM   #3
joerock
U talkin' to me?

Im pumped for this. DS1 is a masterpiece.
joerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:04 PM   #4
damienjakk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
After playing number 3, I tried the PS3 DS 2 and didn't care for it. I tried the remastered PS4 version and didn't like it also. The graphics and contents of 3 spoiled me and I just found the 2 games lacking.

I have heard great things about DS but I think 3 have spoiled me, so I may be let down.
Dark Souls 2 is easily the worst in the franchise from a PvE perspective at least. Bland levels, horrible enemy placement, linear world design, i-frames tied to a stat, etc. While it's not a bad game, it's just a bad Souls game despite the few things it did do right.

Dark Souls 1 is arguably the best in the series from just about every aspect. It's main downfalls are a weaker second half, horrible PvP, and a few levels which suffered from rushed development.

With it being remasterd, we already have confirmation that it will use the DS3 combat engine, will run at a smooth 60 fps which will most likely fix the frame rate and slowdown issues in the more undesireable levels, and online for both co-op and PvP will have updated servers, 6 player capability, etc.

What I'm trying to say is, don't let DS2 in any way affect your opinion of 1, especially if you enjoyed 3 which is sounds like will borrow some aspects from. As far as part 1 goes though, nothing even comes close to it's world design, atmosphere, bosses, etc. If you are even a casual Souls fan you'd be a fool to write off this new remaster based on a sour experience from 2.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #5
Y3E
Gen 13

Thanks damienjakk. I had no intention of not getting DS remastered. Just don't want to be let down by it. I know it is unfair to compare 1 and 2 to number 3 since it was made for a more powerful gaming console. I was actually going to purchase on eBay a copy of DS collectors edition before this announcement so now I don't need to.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:30 AM   #6
damienjakk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Thanks damienjakk. I had no intention of not getting DS remastered. Just don't want to be let down by it. I know it is unfair to compare 1 and 2 to number 3 since it was made for a more powerful gaming console. I was actually going to purchase on eBay a copy of DS collectors edition before this announcement so now I don't need to.
Yeah also note that DS2 was not directed by Miyazaki who directed every other Souls/Borne game. DS2 was handled by From Software with him only advising. He edited Scholar of the First Sin when it released a bit to try and fix some of the bigger issues from vanilla DS2, but it was like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound.

In all honesty we don't know how this remaster will be, there is of course the possibility it is complete crap when compared to the original, but then again a lot of quality of life changes and a few tweaks in certain trouble areas could make it even better, only time will tell. I do know I'll be getting it day 1 though, and hopefully this beast if it makes it way to US shores as it Japan exclusive ATM.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #7
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienjakk View Post
Yeah also note that DS2 was not directed by Miyazaki who directed every other Souls/Borne game. DS2 was handled by From Software with him only advising. He edited Scholar of the First Sin when it released a bit to try and fix some of the bigger issues from vanilla DS2, but it was like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound.

In all honesty we don't know how this remaster will be, there is of course the possibility it is complete crap when compared to the original, but then again a lot of quality of life changes and a few tweaks in certain trouble areas could make it even better, only time will tell. I do know I'll be getting it day 1 though, and hopefully this beast if it makes it way to US shores as it Japan exclusive ATM.

Oohh, I want that trilogy collection. If it doesn't sell in the NA, looks like I will be going to eBay for it.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:31 PM   #8
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

I really just want the books.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #9
Y3E
Gen 13

$450 US?!!! Ok, maybe not
Old 01-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #10
Ohrai_Fan
The Spirit

So I think I may actually be down to purchase this from the U.S. Does anyone know any reliable intermediary services to have Japanese goods bought on the island and shipped internationally? I used one once about a decade ago for a Koto statue but I have no idea what it was.
Ohrai_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote