Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 10-14-2019, 02:34 AM   #1611
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Cancan View Post
In my grammatical world, a comma is used - for example- to separate two proposals IN a sentence, while a period is used at THE END of a sentence.
But well, maybe some kind of new English grammar is born and I was not aware of that...
Depending on the context you should refrain from using commas, and unless your separating certain types of words 3, like introductory words, in one sentence, especially 4-5 (like this ;p), is excessive.

For example let's take Sila's first reply here.

"I tried reading this comment a number of times, and I'm beat....I don't have a clue what you wrote.....maybe drop the abbreviations (pos), type in plain English, throw in some grammar, and then we can all share in your wisdom."

Ignoring his not-really ellipses use of ellipses that entire thing, which could almost be a paragraph in it's own right, is using 4 commas. There's 3 independent clauses there which is well into "huge run-on sentence" territory. so while the comma use is not only ----ty it actually makes it worse to read for me (though apparently mileage can vary).

Commas get overused as it tends to turn into a crutch for sentences that people just don't know when to end one sentence and start another one. Of course Silas here provided an extreme example as most people aren't that bad even on an online forum. Especially when simultaneously pointing out someone else's grammar. Also as their name suggests independent clauses can each be their own sentence in most circumstances. It makes sentence to join them with a comma sometimes especially when there is a direct relation. Like Silas was beat because he tried to read my comment a number of times. But a period instead of the ellipses and turning the last statement into it's own sentence would have been much better then one really long sentence.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:22 AM   #1612
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
Depending on the context you should refrain from using commas, and unless your separating certain types of words 3, like introductory words, in one sentence, especially 4-5 (like this ;p), is excessive.

For example let's take Sila's first reply here.

"I tried reading this comment a number of times, and I'm beat....I don't have a clue what you wrote.....maybe drop the abbreviations (pos), type in plain English, throw in some grammar, and then we can all share in your wisdom."

Ignoring his not-really ellipses use of ellipses that entire thing, which could almost be a paragraph in it's own right, is using 4 commas. There's 3 independent clauses there which is well into "huge run-on sentence" territory. so while the comma use is not only ----ty it actually makes it worse to read for me (though apparently mileage can vary).

Commas get overused as it tends to turn into a crutch for sentences that people just don't know when to end sentence and start another one. Of course Silas here provided an extreme example as most people aren't that bad even on an online forum. Especially when simultaneously pointing out someone else's grammar. Also as their name suggests independent clauses can each be their own sentence in most circumstances. It makes sentence to join them with a comma sometimes especially when there is a direct relation. Like Silas was beat because he tried to read my comment a number of times. But a period instead of the ellipses and turning the last statement into it's own sentence would have been much better then one really long sentence.
Thanks for the lesson. I understand.
I was referring to these very very long sentences that I see regularly in these threads, sentences full of proposals, ellipses, names, adjectives, without a single comma to clear up all this gibberish - at least for me-, because, at some point, you are no longer very sure to know which name fits which adjective, which verb fits which action etc...
As you can see, I just made a long sentence full of commas... And again, on the top of that, if English is not your first language it's more complicated...
I guess commas are a weakness of mine - I prefer too many commas than not enough- and maybe more a french thing than an english thing.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:56 AM   #1613
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash421 View Post
Careful... they reinvented math (common core). God help us if they reinvent grammar as well!
Our Jeanne d'Arc died because of them.
They can’t do any worse.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #1614
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Cancan View Post
Thanks for the lesson. I understand.
I was referring to these very very long sentences that I see regularly in these threads, sentences full of proposals, ellipses, names, adjectives, without a single comma to clear up all this gibberish - at least for me-, because, at some point, you are no longer very sure to know which name fits which adjective, which verb fits which action etc...
As you can see, I just made a long sentence full of commas... And again, on the top of that, if English is not your first language it's more complicated...
I guess commas are a weakness of mine - I prefer too many commas than not enough- and maybe more a french thing than an english thing.
Honestly what I dislike the most that people do online is the giant blocks of text :| Really it doesn't even have to be a real paragraph just press enter after ending any sentence and at least it will be easier to read! :P

Also back to the thread. I did a quick count of PO statues from the P1 website and it was well under 200 (even if you include ex/dx which again you shouldn't when you aren't counting those as releases :|). Still sizeable, but it was more like 100 or something? That's a lot of statues ;p
Old 10-14-2019, 10:49 AM   #1615
Augen
Metal Men

Still love this piece, would be nice to have a firm window to expect her.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #1616
dao2
Cyclops

P1 seems to really push the lines that are ending or not selling as well on the backburner in terms of production. Makes sense but a shame ;p I am eagerly awaiting it as well. Thinking about getting the new Geralt as well as I never liked his face on the first one (or the base tbh).
Old 10-14-2019, 01:22 PM   #1617
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post

Still love this piece, would be nice to have a firm window to expect her.
I can't help but compare the ongoing situation with Gamingheads Mass Effect line, or Gentle Giants Honey trap line.

Both company's took so long to bring their pieces to market, that the statues simply became irrelevant. While P1 is perhaps a long way from this fate, the clock is ticking.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:58 PM   #1618
No1
The Avengers

well, time goes on.... Ciri must be on Novigrad yet, maybe she stopped there to play a little of gwent
No1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:08 AM   #1619
gs013564
Justice League

In case anyone missed it, Iorveth is now a thing in this line (has it's own thread). I'm pretty stoked, but they need to speed the release up on the others!
gs013564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:14 AM   #1620
Augen
Metal Men

I was surprised to see that. I didn't expect the line to go past already announced pieces. Still excited and anticipating Ciri myself.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote