Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > First4Figures / Gaming Heads

Old 06-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #81
Vendetta
The X-Men

I think faces are the biggest opportunity for improvement for F4F. Some of them unfortunately strike me as a bit amateur-ish (most notably the SC and Tekken lines, and the Kiryu that was being worked on looked particularly rough), but less realistic styles like Samurai Champloo here have fared a little better.

I do agree that there’s a certain flair that anime figure collectors are accustomed to from the PVC figures they usually buy, and hopefully F4F can replicate that as they venture more into Japanese licenses like Persona 5, Kill La Kill and My Hero Academia.
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:44 AM   #82
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
I think faces are the biggest opportunity for improvement for F4F. Some of them unfortunately strike me as a bit amateur-ish (most notably the SC and Tekken lines, and the Kiryu that was being worked on looked particularly rough), but less realistic styles like Samurai Champloo here have fared a little better.

I do agree that there’s a certain flair that anime figure collectors are accustomed to from the PVC figures they usually buy, and hopefully F4F can replicate that as they venture more into Japanese licenses like Persona 5, Kill La Kill and My Hero Academia.
Well i think they nailed Saitamas heads and i think they got Jin (SC) totally right too.

Takis face in the recent update looks awesome, just need to see Jin (Tekken) in hand now....
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #83
Vendetta
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
Well i think they nailed Saitamas heads and i think they got Jin (SC) totally right too.

Takis face in the recent update looks awesome, just need to see Jin (Tekken) in hand now....
They did improve Taki’s face, which I’m happy about because I’m collecting the Soul Calibur line (despite thinking her original face and hair were pretty bad). I’m still a bit worried about her hair - I think there isn’t as much fine detail as I’d like there to be. Still, I’m sure I’ll be happy with the overall product once I get it, as I like mostly everything else (except maybe the design of the Ex base).

Maybe it’s just the photos from this one collector (one image attached), but Jin looks pretty rough here. Hopefully the majority of the Jin statues look better. I also think Law’s face sculpt doesn’t look so great.

Saitama looks pretty good, but I’d wager that’s one of the simpler facesculpts they’ve tackled. They’re doing really well on cartoony stuff, and I hope that carries over as they dive more into anime/manga/VG stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	409AF170-7EBD-4EC5-84AE-2239D0CD0067.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	114823  
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:35 PM   #84
BurningRage
Inhumans

The Simon Belmont face was good but not a lot of people bought that statue.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:31 PM   #85
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
They did improve Taki’s face, which I’m happy about because I’m collecting the Soul Calibur line (despite thinking her original face and hair were pretty bad). I’m still a bit worried about her hair - I think there isn’t as much fine detail as I’d like there to be. Still, I’m sure I’ll be happy with the overall product once I get it, as I like mostly everything else (except maybe the design of the Ex base).

Maybe it’s just the photos from this one collector (one image attached), but Jin looks pretty rough here. Hopefully the majority of the Jin statues look better. I also think Law’s face sculpt doesn’t look so great.

Saitama looks pretty good, but I’d wager that’s one of the simpler facesculpts they’ve tackled. They’re doing really well on cartoony stuff, and I hope that carries over as they dive more into anime/manga/VG stuff.
Yeah i wouldn't even think of judging it from that picture personally, all the features that are on the proto are there but its pretty washed out....i was very happy with the face on the Jin proto so if it's close to that in hand then i'll be a happy chappy.

Same with Law as well it's a great facesculpt imo, with the wet hair against the face, i really like what they did with Law.

Guts is another good example of a really well done faces imo and they are tweaking them to be better for production.

I don't think it's a weak point and if anything F4F go out of their way to make things better, same with Kiryu from Yakuza, he's being worked on, they worked on Jet and Spike from Bebop too....if people have problems with stuff they usually address it before production.

If you look at the 2 Saitama serious faces they did a great job from the original to the production one also, a simple face sure but one they could have got wrong.......also i think the licenseor wanted changes too, which is of course a factor.

They're not gonna please everyone but i think they do great work and are always improving.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:39 PM   #86
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

F4F has been nailing its anime faces pretty well. And a BIG plus is that they’ve been back and forth with the fans till they get them right. I think where they are a bit weak is in the more realistic dept, but its not all bad.

Even Prime1 has been having its misses: The Gravity Rush Girls, the new Edward FMA face, 90’s TMNT etc. but they're treated like the statue gods.

F4F isnt Tsume or Prime1. I would compare them to a better version of Sideshow. Theres nothing wrong with small dioramic bases- the focus is more on the character and theres a place for that even with all the massive endlessly huge base making companies out there.

PS, I loved Tsume’s Genos- till they showed the production pieces. I am 100% glad I didnt get suckered. They pulled a Darth Vader Mythos and painted lava light crap all over his legs and the base. Its nothing like the Prototype they showed.
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:55 PM   #87
silentwinter92
U talkin' to me?

Their tekken line is loads better than their anime lines. It deserves a ton more love, the update to taki is awesome and a very good alternative to what prime 1 is releasing. But prime 1 is coming down hard on this, 600usd for S quality face/body sculpts ? F4F has to bring their A game to contend in the 450 USD range or 700 usd for their more elaborate stuff.

Saitama is good because the character is so simple in the first place. I still will nvr buy him though. I won’t be surprised if genos has been dropped due to what tsume put out. The difference is going to look like night and day. If only tsume didn’t pull that stunt, it woulda been perfect.

Berserk is their most decent effort by far, this line is going to sell loads hopefully. It’s a cheaper alternative to prime 1’s 1k usd range but really stretches your dollar. Especially given since there are still structural integrity issues with Prime 1’s guts.

Samurai champloo is one of the most expressive anime styles out there, its a tough call to nail this. If I had to say there was anything wrong with this statue, it still is missing a lot of the swagger and gait of the character. He is supposed to be light on his feet, but this somehow still feels heavy. I would like to see them adopt what the sculptors at banpresto submit for SC coliseum. But that’s a major change in artistic direction for a niche line.

Tsume has a ton of flaws, but they capture anime flair so well even though their face sculpts still suck. But hey, pvc head sculpts with decals all suck usually except for gecco. It’s going to be a long time before f4f can put out outsomething like tsume’s kirilin.
silentwinter92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #88
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwinter92 View Post
Their tekken line is loads better than their anime lines. It deserves a ton more love, the update to taki is awesome and a very good alternative to what prime 1 is releasing. But prime 1 is coming down hard on this, 600usd for S quality face/body sculpts ? F4F has to bring their A game to contend in the 450 USD range or 700 usd for their more elaborate stuff.
I doubt F4F will ever get as expensive as Prime 1 and to be honest with all the reward points, lower shipping costs, no taxes or import charges for Europe & the UK personally they are always a hell of a lot cheaper than anyone out there and i think a piece like King is as good if not better than a lot of the top pieces put out last year, it definitely stands shoulder to shoulder with any really good PCS piece like Ultra Zangief.

Quote:
Saitama is good because the character is so simple in the first place. I still will nvr buy him though. I won’t be surprised if genos has been dropped due to what tsume put out. The difference is going to look like night and day. If only tsume didn’t pull that stunt, it woulda been perfect.
It's the only 1/4 Saitama out there and it was $350 with the discount code, it's a hell of a piece for the money, i would have liked to have seen a bigger more elaborate base but in hand it's a fantastic piece which conveys motion very well and has that anime look/feel. The only thing that's stopped Genos coming quicker is the poor sales on Saitama, when they revealed Saitama, Genos, Mumen Rider & Sonic were also shown so they were committed but unfortunately people didn't go for it, even at the ridiculously low price for a 1/4 piece. If F4F do anything really well it's light up features and i'm sure Genos will have a hell of a light up feature.

Also as nice as the Tsume proto is for Genos, it's 1/6 so that's me out and from proto to production for Tsume has steadily been going down hill......and this is from someone who a couple of years ago had Tsume as number 1.

Quote:
Berserk is their most decent effort by far, this line is going to sell loads hopefully. It’s a cheaper alternative to prime 1’s 1k usd range but really stretches your dollar. Especially given since there are still structural integrity issues with Prime 1’s guts.
If they can nail what they showed on the proto, and 99% of the time F4F do then i think Guts will be a nice showcase piece for them along with Bowser and the Ammy LSB.

I went with F4F literally because i prefer the action pose and the price difference. If i had gone with P1 version from SS with customs and shipping it would have been about £400+ ($530+) more, so going with F4F i can get pretty much 2 of their berserk pieces over 1 P1 piece. Also F4F will never do pieces as fast as P1 do they are small potatoes in comparison and i prefer that pace. And if need be i can always mix and match if a particular P1 piece catches my eye.....like F4F may not get to Femto for years considering they have confirmed Skull Knight next and Berserk Armour after that....

Quote:
Samurai champloo is one of the most expressive anime styles out there, its a tough call to nail this. If I had to say there was anything wrong with this statue, it still is missing a lot of the swagger and gait of the character. He is supposed to be light on his feet, but this somehow still feels heavy. I would like to see them adopt what the sculptors at banpresto submit for SC coliseum. But that’s a major change in artistic direction for a niche line.
I feel totally different, just the pose sells this piece straight away, they could have gone really safe with this and done him leg up on a table, gone for the cocky side of Mugen but they just bit the bullet and went all out, i think the statue screams Mugen, i can't wait to get pics and video of him.

Quote:
Tsume has a ton of flaws, but they capture anime flair so well even though their face sculpts still suck. But hey, pvc head sculpts with decals all suck usually except for gecco. It’s going to be a long time before f4f can put out outsomething like tsume’s kirilin.
My main problem with Tsume is price now, which REALLY hit home with the Law fiasco and how quick they could just shave 200 euro off that price.....i just think have been taken in by their own hype and i don't think how the pieces look or are designed even justify the prices anymore.....

F4F at this point are still learning a BUNCH every week on stream Alex says we learned this or that and more importantly they listen to their customer base, their whole focus is what the customer wants......and i really really like that.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #89
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

For Saitama being such a “simple” piece its funny how only F4F has nailed the head/face sculpts- and 2 of them at that. Nobody wants to give them credit it seems, when they do well. So they say its a simple piece and F4F makes simple statues.

Case in point Mugen- He’s amazing. But he’s not floating enough :/

F4F will never make a statue like Tsume’s Krillin because they don’t do 1/6 scale with large dioramic bases. I was interested in Tsume with Genos but I’m cautious now. As for their style- its cool but now it seems like theres a ton of legit and non legit companies copying that style. If you go on facebook, those kind of statues seem to be everywhere.
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:33 AM   #90
Drakul
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningRage View Post
The Simon Belmont face was good but not a lot of people bought that statue.
Really? It's my favorite F4F statue so far!
Drakul is offline   Reply With Quote