Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 04-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #11
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Yes he can he dented it and later in the same issue he fixed it back.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #12
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin View Post
Yes he can he dented it and later in the same issue he fixed it back.
Thats BS. It absorbs impact, as well as part adamantium. No dent.
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #13
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Ryche knows his Thor, if he says yes, then I believe him.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post
I agree but it`s true.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #15
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Doesn't Cap's shield pre-date adamantium?
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #16
Teague
Iron Man

Cap's shield is a vibranium-iron alloy, not adamantium. The shield pre-dates adamantium by a good decade or two (at least adamantium's introduction into the 616).

I do think that some comics have screwed up and called it an adamantium-vibranium alloy, but that's just wrong, so far as I know.

I think Cap's shield is insanely resilient, but the magic of the uru hammer, I think, could sunder it, especially with the Odinpower.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #17
Sledge Hammer!
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I'd say that if Thor really wanted to destroy Cap's shield that he concievably could do so, but the effort and force it would take to do such a thing in a single blow would probably unleash such devastation that he'd probably never dare unleash that much power in all in one supreme effort.

That's my story anyway, and I'm sticking to it.
Sledge Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #18
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Cap's shield is a vibranium-iron alloy, not adamantium. The shield pre-dates adamantium by a good decade or two (at least adamantium's introduction into the 616).

I do think that some comics have screwed up and called it an adamantium-vibranium alloy, but that's just wrong, so far as I know.

I think Cap's shield is insanely resilient, but the magic of the uru hammer, I think, could sunder it, especially with the Odinpower.
Teague is right! (excerpt from Wikipedia, with the correction about the OHOTMU)

The circular shield most associated with Captain America made its debut in Captain America Comics #2 (April 1941). A convex metal disc approximately 2.5 feet in diameter, it is virtually indestructible and has remained his most constant shield over the decades.

Again through retroactive continuity, it is established that the shield was presented to Rogers by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.[1] The shield is created by an American metallurgist named Dr. Myron MacLain, who had been commissioned by the US government to create an indestructible armor material to aid the war effort. MacLain experiments with vibranium, an alien metal found only in Wakanda that has unique vibration absorption properties.

Captain America vol. 5, #5 (May 2005). Cover art by Steve Epting.During one of his experiments to fuse vibranium with an experimental iron alloy.[2]. MacLain falls asleep and awakens to find the experiment a success. However, this is due to an unknown catalyst entering the process during his slumber, and he is unable to duplicate the result. The vibranium-iron alloy mix is then poured into a mold for a tank's upper hatch to create the disc shape and painted to become Captain America's symbol.

Rogers' indestructible shield was long referred to, even in canon comics history, as being composed of an adamantium-vibranium alloy. This is not the case: Adamantium is only developed after Rogers is revived from suspended animation, during MacLain's later experiments to try and duplicate the material of the shield. Adamantium makes its first appearance in Avengers Vol. 1 #66, July 1969.

The adamantium-vibranium error first arises in the Captain America entry in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (the composition of the shield was described in the adamantium entry as "vibranium-iron") and is propagated in several subsequent stories by writers using the Handbook as a reference. The error is corrected in Captain America #303–304 (March–April 1985), which establishes that the shield is made of vibranium and an "experimental iron alloy", but that did not prevent the error's repetition over the years.

The vibranium in the shield is what absorbs virtually all of the kinetic impact from any blows that the shield receives, allowing it to withstand incredible amounts of force without injuring Rogers in the process. The vibranium is also a factor in the way Rogers throws his shield: he often uses it to ricochet around a room and strike various opponents with little loss of velocity in its forward movement after each impact.

When Rogers returns from suspended animation, Tony Stark "improves" the shield by incorporating electronic and magnetic components in it so that Rogers could even control it in flight. However, Rogers soon discards the additional components because he finds that it upsets the balance of the shield when thrown, which is Rogers' ultimate preference.

During his early years in the Avengers, when it is not firmly established that the discus-shaped shield is indestructible, the shield is destroyed or lost several times in the comics, to return with no explanation. It is eventually retconed that these are steel replicas, with the actual shield being borrowed by Stark for analysis and returned to Rogers later.[citation needed]

After Rogers' death, Stark takes over custody of the shield, with a replica being buried with Rogers. After failing to find a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent capable of throwing it properly, Stark offers the shield to Clint Barton, who does manage to throw it but declines Stark's offer to become the new Captain America. The shield is subsequently stolen by the Winter Soldier, who did not want anyone else to carry the shield.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #19
heirtoasguard
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

yeah but ryche, you fail to mention that when Thor
broke thru Exitar he was wearing his belt of strenght.
which doubles his strenght. I think that Thor could
probably break it. back in the #60's of the Avengers
when Adamantium first came out, Thor did dent it.
obviously when Thor had the Odinpower he could easily break it.
heirtoasguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #20
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post
I was wrong.