Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #21
iceprince_x
Deadman

Photon.
Silver Surfer.
Phoenix
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 AM   #22
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
The thing that holds me back from endorsing Surfer is the fact that he cannot fly unaided by the board. While he is in control of the board while riding it...the board itself is flying and he is riding it...although he is willing it to reach the speeds it does....

I don't know...but for arguments sake Joe...take Surfer out of the equation and then who do you have???
It's not the same thing, but in a way it is kind of like Thor's hammer. Thor doesn't actually fly, his hammer pulls him along. The Surfer is actually the fastest "rider" in Marvel Comics...
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:20 AM   #23
Peter-Vell
a marvelite

Quote:
The thing that holds me back from endorsing Surfer is the fact that he cannot fly unaided by the board. While he is in control of the board while riding it...the board itself is flying and he is riding it...although he is willing it to reach the speeds it does....

I don't know...but for arguments sake Joe...take Surfer out of the equation and then who do you have???
Actually, it is established that he CAN fly without his board. Just not as fast, and on his board is easier for him, because he doesn't have to expend as much cosmic energy as he would without it.
Peter-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #24
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:

As much as I hate to even invoke his name, I'd have to say Sentry (though, hopefully, he's truly dead). After that, I'd say Gladiator. I think both travel faster than light speed so they'd outpace Captain Marvel/Photon.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #25
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
It's not the same thing, but in a way it is kind of like Thor's hammer. Thor doesn't actually fly, his hammer pulls him along. The Surfer is actually the fastest "rider" in Marvel Comics...
I actually don't think this is quite true anymore. Yes, he's still pulled by Mjolnir but I think, now once hurled, Thor can direct his flight and stay in flight as long as he wants while also going faster/slower under his influence, rather than simply being pulled.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #26
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Nova.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:51 AM   #27
Peter-Vell
a marvelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
Nova.
Nope.
Maybe when he was still carrying the entire Nova-Corps, but now that he is "only" Nova-Prime, his flight is back to Super-sonic.
(Or where you talking about Frankie Raye/Nova?...Surfer is still faster.)
Peter-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #28
stormshadow75x
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I thought it was Photon too
stormshadow75x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #29
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I actually don't think this is quite true anymore. Yes, he's still pulled by Mjolnir but I think, now once hurled, Thor can direct his flight and stay in flight as long as he wants while also going faster/slower under his influence, rather than simply being pulled.
So...another retcon, huh? This doesn't rank up there with Wolverine the completely indestructible, but it sure seems like today's writers just make up whatever they want. Thor's power of flight was to be pulled by Mjolnir, but now they've given him a flight upgrade, huh? Lame...Thor was just fine the way he was, IMO. I really miss the days of Jim Shooter was Editor in Chief at Marvel. He kept character histories consistent. This is one of the things that makes it hard for me to consistently comics...
Old 04-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #30
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
As much as I hate to even invoke his name, I'd have to say Sentry (though, hopefully, he's truly dead). After that, I'd say Gladiator. I think both travel faster than light speed so they'd outpace Captain Marvel/Photon.
I go by "the" Gladiator source book, which is Fantastic Four #249-250 from John Byrne, IMHO. Gladiator flies many, many times faster than the speed of light.