Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 05-09-2023, 03:39 PM   #1
ukshaun
Hercules

What If... AI was used to create a statue ^_^

I was on YouTube today, and a video popped up called:
Scarlett Johansson AI Art

The video amounted to a small collection of still's that looked like Scarlett Johansson supposedly created by AI

I entered into Google:
Scarlett Johansson AI Art (and selected the 'image' tab)
https://www.google.com/search?q=Scar...&bih=625&dpr=1

Then i got thinking..
How long before AI is used to create statues?

Assuming it happens, what company will offer the 1st 1/4 scale AI generated statue?
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 04:04 PM   #2
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Only thing sculptors will have to do is fix the teeth and fingers.

It'll definitely be something companies explore. I would imagine pretty soon, if not already. I'm not sold on it entirely taking over in the industry. I see it being used more for rough drafts, so to speak. You give some prompts (character, pose, details, etc.) and it makes some renders. You pick one and go in to touch up whatever issues there might be and make changes where you want. That results in the final draft. Takes a lot of the work out of it for the artist which I imagine would cut costs for companies. I wouldn't be surprised to see that become commonplace, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't either. I'm not sure how the collector community would react to that...get ready for the AI assisted sculpts vs. "traditional" digital sculpts debate. I don't know...XM? I have no idea...
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 09:05 PM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Most current sculptors hate AI for obvious reasons.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 12:52 AM   #4
qz33
Rescue

I've mentioned this in a couple threads most recently in the current sky is falling thread at http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?p=6112095

Another way to think of A.I. is Automated Inference.

Now no it won't be A.I. like Chat GPT where you just tell it something and out pops a finished sculpt. the process will be iterative. No a sculptor will not need to fix fingers because the serious output isn't anything like the weird stuff making headlines.

A model could be trained on several depictions from comics of say Neal Adams' Batman. Then it could generate a 3D model. A modeler/sculptor could then pose the model. Additional passes will refine the 3D models.
Statues will achieve a likeness to the source material that we can't even imagine.

The tech is just too new and has too high a barrier to entry for little statue producers to wield yet. There are no off the shelf programs making vast use of A.I., again yet.
Most sculptors can't even get a scale correct between sculpts. They have their visual ability but not the math/programming chops it requires right now. And if they do have both they are busy working somewhere else making much more bank than silly statue sculpting.

Most of what us collectors here want to collect are pop culture characters that resembles our perception based on our memory of previous media whether 2D or 3D. Not so much the lofty artistic expression cited as a reason to preserve artists' financial income.
Anyone with a talent that few people posses believe they are entitled to make a living solely using that talent. Just watch the countless singing "talent" shows to see that there are LOTS of people with the ability but no not everyone is going to be making a living at it no matter how hard they work. Sorry you'll have to be fighting us talentless losers for what ever meager regular jobs remain.

The debate about limiting technology for art is an old hat. People said the same thing about photography, copy machines, and music recordings how it would be the death of art. There are a greater percentage of people drawing and making music than at any time in human history. A.I. will just be another tool. Yes a revolutionary one unlike any other but a tool nonetheless.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 05:07 AM   #5
ukshaun
Hercules

@qz33 'Yes a revolutionary one unlike any other but a tool nonetheless.'

That is the worry. There are those that think AI is at a point where it could think beyond what we as humans think it is capable of.

One thing is for sure, as advance as AI may come as emulating humans, it will never be human. I like to think of AI having it's uses, like you said 'a tool'.

It is weird to think, that maybe, AI could some day 'generate' a live action movie, write that movie, directed that movie, compose a score for that movie, and review it

What would be the situation, if an AI generated movie created an actress that looked a cross between Scarlett Johansson and Margot Robbie with the voice of Anne Hathaway and the acting skills of say Jennifer Lawrence. Would any of the 4 earn a Cent?
Old 05-10-2023, 11:28 AM   #6
qz33
Rescue

^ At that point it is far more likely the current financial system has already collapsed.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 04:31 PM   #7
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
^ At that point it is far more likely the current financial system has already collapsed.
Speaking of which.. isn't the banking system crashing faster than that of 2008 but failing to make main-stream news like it did in 2008 hmm..

Back to A.I.
Microsoft had OpenAI that some are now described as ClosedAI (Microsoft wants it for itself)
Goggle is working on it's AI
Ben Goertzel at SingularityNet has spent 30 years working on AI

What would happen if all 3 A.I. system's got to chat to one another?

Ben Goertzel, he makes me laugh! so entertaining to watch.

LOADING: Image(s)

Ben Goertzel.. what a character!
Old 05-12-2023, 03:24 PM   #8
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Make a freaking 1/6th Nightcrawler!!! Now robot!
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 03:31 PM   #9
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
Make a freaking 1/6th Nightcrawler!!! Now robot!
Once A.I. has sculpted a piece, and a human gives it the thumbs up,
maybe the next phase could well be a robot that prints constructs paints QC's packs ships the piece! ..possibly delivers the piece.
All the human has to do is unpack the piece, display the piece, and visit StatueForum to compliment or complain about the piece.
Old 05-12-2023, 05:11 PM   #10
nearmint
Phoenix

At that point, maybe we should just get a hologram of the statue, allowing us to adjust the scale, and perhaps the paint applications.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote