Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 07-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
Neal Page
Doh!

primer bubble on resin base?

Hello, after cleaning and spraying Krylom gray primer on the base of a resin statue, I have a soft wet bubble that keeps poping up. About 1/4 in. round, and you can wipe the primer right off of it. I rewashed the spot and sanded it a little and the same thing happened again. does this make any sense to anyone. There are some small "sticky" spots on the statue, but nothing that bubbles like on the base. Any help would be appreciated.
Neal Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Voshizle@gmail.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Not sure how to help, but with any problem like this pictures are very helpful. Weird that washing and sanding didn't get rid of whatever is causing the reaction though.
Voshizle@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:14 AM   #3
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

what type of resin? pre painted statue or a garage kit?

if its a kit its possible the resin didnt cure and its leaking. Also possible there is a reaction to the resin and the primer.

Few things can be done or tested. If its just a generic base with flat edges you can drill into that spot and see if the resin is super soft or not cured inside. If this is the case can try to scrape the soft areas out and then fill it in with some Aves Epoxy Sculpt. Good way of stopping a soft resin leak, but not a full proof plan.

Another option is that resin spot might not be cured to the point the krylon is reacting to it. I have had bad exp with krylon in the past on resin for some reason, duplicolor seems to work better with sticking for me.

But with you saying there is sticky spots on the statue just makes me think the resin wasnt mixed right or didnt cure properly.

Take some pics and post when ya can.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
Neal Page
Doh!

Ok, its a garage kit, and after washing and repriming, it did the same thing. I seams to make sense that the resin did not cure right. There seems to be a soft spot now, so I am going to dig or drill it out and see what that does. I can put some holes in the base without hurting the piece. I will let you know if it happens again. Thanks
Old 07-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
Neal Page
Doh!

I recieved a e-mail from the maker that said the resin did not set properly. It said to rub talc (white baby powder) on the sticky areas and reprime immediatly. I did, and it seems to be working, no leaks and its not sticky. Keeping my fingers crossed