Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 04-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Decisions, decisions ?!?!

Well, I took Scott's advise and lugged the portfolios out to choose some prints for framing.

We have a big blank section of wall above a stairway that's crying out for some print action and we figured three larger vertically oriented prints would fit well.

So that ruled out all of the smaller prints and larger horizontal prints, leaving a selection of predominantly 'Stout' prints. I was happy to frame just about anything, but my wife wanted something iconic and varied, so these are the ones we agreed on.

Stout's Big Trouble in Little China

Perkin's The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

JRD's Robocop

This is the space we have to hang them.

And we figured we would frame the three Perkin's prints together in one frame to match the other two, size and orientation wise.

Any framing ideas or suggestions would be most welcome
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
FROBAY
Phoenix

Great print choices. I might try and use the same frame for all 3 (5) prints, since your putting them on the same wall. Gloss black would be cool, and choose different color
mats to match the individual print.

Also, a gloss white frame with black mats would look classy.

Last edited by FROBAY; 04-09-2014 at 07:12 AM.
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Thanks Fro. We were thinking a simple black frame with some appropriate individual mats.

Forgot how good the JRD Robocop was. The colors and detail are amazing when you get it out of the sleeve.

And I was just scanning the inter-web for framing ideas and came across this very clever take on Billy Perkins set

Old 04-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
FROBAY
Phoenix

Cool
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

All great prints Nidgit. Which film resonates the most with you and the wife? That would be the basis of my decision.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
All great prints Nidgit. Which film resonates the most with you and the wife? That would be the basis of my decision.
Thanks MM. We've basically chosen these three (or rather five) prints. I did mount a case for my Stout Star Wars variants but my wife wanted a bit more variety.

Just need to decide on frames and mats. The other option was to frame the Perkins trio individually but I think I like the idea of having them all in the one frame
Old 04-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
Thanks MM. We've basically chosen these three (or rather five) prints. I did mount a case for my Stout Star Wars variants but my wife wanted a bit more variety.

Just need to decide on frames and mats. The other option was to frame the Perkins trio individually but I think I like the idea of having them all in the one frame
Sorry buddy, misread and thought you were looking for a "vote"

If you do go the route of individually framing up the Perkins it may break up the space nicely with the three of them in a horizontal alignment between the other two. One thing to consider, and I am assuming this, is that the Perkins together will neccesitate a larger frame than the other two, so matching frames may be out the window anyways.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Ah, a blank wall. We have two left in my house. One is upstairs between the kids rooms (probably the next useable real estate) and the other is along our "formal" living/dining area which is currently used by the boys for games/playing. I've done what you're doing right now, IMO, it's one of the most rewarding aspects of this hobby. You heard about the art, obtained it (via whatever means), you flattened it, and there it has sat until today. Awesome. I was pretty particular about which Englerts to put up, they had to not only compliment each other, but, also had to be of more importance to me than the rest. I like your selection and think it's gonna look great! I personally would've fought hard for the Stat Wars set (which one btw). My wife pretty much let's me put up whatever within reason.

Oh, also, you're gonna need a big ass ladder and if your wife is anything like mine, a Xanex for her while you're climbing that big ass ladder. Maybe a nice Chardonnay to chase it down, she'll be flying.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #9
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Great choices Nick! Glad to see you framing some stuff from your portfolio. Speaking from experience you're going to love that BTiLC once you get it up on the wall. There is so much detail in Stout's work you'll find yourself staring at it at random times as you pass it.

If it were me I'd frame that Perkins set individually though. I know it would cost more and not fit in exactly like the other two but it would look so cool like that. It would also break up the uniformity of having 3 of the same size prints on the same wall. Not that that would look bad its just that one of my favorite aspects of that Perkins set is that they're independent prints that by themselves are a small part of a bigger whole, which is quite unique, and I think framing them together completely kills that. Just my 2 cents.

As far as frames and mats are concerned I'd recommend going into your framer's and checking out as many combinations as possible. Go with what you think works best. In my frame-ups I try and pull some color out of the prints into my mats and/or frame without taking the attention away from the artwork. Its a fun process and more of a personal taste thing so I'll refrain from making any specific recommendations. Plus you've already seen my BTiLC frame-up so you know how I'd do that one. That being said I'd do something much more simplistic with that Perkins set. Robocop should be a fun one too, a metal frame might look nice.

One thing I will say is I'd refrain from trying to make them all look similar just because they'll be on the same wall. They're not part of a set so let them breathe on their own. Chances are they won't always be hanging next to one another.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
risingstar
Jedi Order

Those are awesome looking prints!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote