Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2024, 09:56 PM   #11
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Laws of physics cannot be overcome. A collection will grow until critical mass is achieved. Given finite space...
Two objects cannot occupy the same space.

For special things, I keep the box and foam.

For Hot Toys I keep everything, those boxes tend to be smallish.

For most statues I fold up the boxes and keep them, and toss the foam. This is really the best many of us can do. If you want to pay for a storage unit, well, that's collection value flushed down the toilet every month. And you will fill that up too much eventually too.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:12 PM   #12
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
For most statues I fold up the boxes and keep them, and toss the foam.
But if you toss the foam, why bother keeping the boxes (even if folded)? The foam is the most important aspect in keeping a statue safe during shipping and moving.
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:34 PM   #13
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Keep them.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 12:13 AM   #14
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Dump them. Do something else with that extra space.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 12:24 AM   #15
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I have said this before in another thread. A collector took about 60 Bowen statues and mini busts to my LCBS a few years ago. The collector kept the boxes but go rid of the foam. They paid the collector for the statues but gave the collector only about 1/4 of what the statues were worth, due to the fact that there was no styrofoam (I ended up getting a FS Black Widow statue for $60-I have the box but no styrofoam).

Boxes are a pain in the ass to store but and we all think that we will never get rid of statues however we do not know what the future holds. I say look through your collection, determine what characters you truly love and what ones you feel you can live without (this is hard because I have found myself selling a statue and 6 months later wanting it back). If you cannot get rid of any statues then I would say make storing the boxes work somehow, rent a storage unit, ask your wife and kids to move out, whatever will work.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 12:59 AM   #16
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Well I?ve been in this hobby since Bowen first started this whole thing. I?ve bought thousands of comics, action figures, statues, props, Hallmark ornaments. From the beginning I?ve never had the intention of selling any of it.

But here I am turning 69. Moved to a smaller house as my wife and I didn?t need the house we lived in and wanted to get away from stairs. Meanwhile my dad died and my mom was 90 and needed to start downsizing all her stuff she didn?t need anymore and began looking for a retirement home. 80% of senior citizens don?t get to die in their home.

So yes I?m starting to try and sell some of my collection with the rare purchase. And I?m glad I kept the boxes and I don?t want to saddle my kids with the inconvenience of selling all this stuff. I?ve been to too many estate sales.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:24 PM   #17
Kefka2200
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

As much as it sucks, the value is in the packaging just like everything else.
Kefka2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 04:26 PM   #18
ukshaun
Hercules

When people/collectors mention value, i 100% understand, as boxes factor into re_selling.

For me, this somewhat solves the problem. As the answer to the question is, i am not a re_seller.

I guess the issue/problem is solved, for me at_least.
Dump the boxes! ..but, keep some of them, the boxes that are high end. Nut's as it may sould, i so have love for some boxes, more so than others.

To free up space will be a relief!

-

When i die, i won't give 2 F'k's.. as the statues gave me pleasure while i was alive. The boxes 100% do not give me pleasure.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 06:32 PM   #19
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Keep the boxes. Not just for sale value, dude. What if you need to move ??? what if the house needs a major repair all over??? you never know what the future will bring. Just be prepared for the worst... I think i read too much Batman, but it is wise to be ready for the worst as much as possible.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:56 PM   #20
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
When people/collectors mention value, i 100% understand, as boxes factor into re_selling.

For me, this somewhat solves the problem. As the answer to the question is, i am not a re_seller.

I guess the issue/problem is solved, for me at_least.
Dump the boxes! ..but, keep some of them, the boxes that are high end. Nut's as it may sould, i so have love for some boxes, more so than others.

To free up space will be a relief!

-

When i die, i won't give 2 F'k's.. as the statues gave me pleasure while i was alive. The boxes 100% do not give me pleasure.

Exactly.

Life is too short to worry about saving boxes and whether or not I'm going to resell something down the road.

I destroyed my JND boxes, XM Boxes, Prime 1. They're all space hogs and they had to be dealt with.

Once my Jungle Hunter arrives, all three of those boxes are going in the trash.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote