Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #141
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastballSpecial View Post
I like this but its hard to commit when Prime 1's face sculpt looks far superior.

If it were fully sculpted I would be on board. As is, the fabric pants have me on the fence.
I actually like the Sideshow Prototype facesculpt quite a bit, but again it’s the prototype and we all know the chances of the production piece being a noticeable step down is guaranteed. How much is the million dollar question though.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #142
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
On a fence with fabric pants is just asking for trouble.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #143
FastballSpecial
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I actually like the Sideshow Prototype facesculpt quite a bit, but again it’s the prototype and we all know the chances of the production piece being a noticeable step down is guaranteed. How much is the million dollar question though.
Look at the BvS Wonder Woman PF final product lol
FastballSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #144
FastballSpecial
Teen Titans

Quote:
On a fence with fabric pants is just asking for trouble.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:10 PM   #145
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Look at the BvS Wonder Woman PF final product lol
Yep I know. I included that in my previous post, on badly received pieces. There’s always hope, as I really did like the Jyn Erso facesculpt. And with regards to the WW, I saw a photo of a custom painted headsculpt making the rounds on the groups and while it still didn’t look like the actress, it was levels of order greater than what most collectors got in hand.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #146
FastballSpecial
Teen Titans

Quote:
Yep I know. I included that in my previous post, on badly received pieces. There’s always hope, as I really did like the Jyn Erso facesculpt. And with regards to the WW, I saw a photo of a custom painted headsculpt making the rounds on the groups and while it still didn’t look like the actress, it was levels of order greater than what most collectors got in hand.
I wonder why the SS factories screw up movie statues so often.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:16 PM   #147
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #148
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
I wonder why the SS factories screw up movie statues so often.
I don’t know. Maybe they need better sculptors (but again I really do like this Aquaman sculpt), maybe they need to start using translucent resins for all their actor based facesculpts, or maybe they need to pay for better paint apps.... or all of the above. I know some collectors don’t like the translucent materials, but when used appropriately you get some very good skin representation on quite a few Prime 1 and Iron Studio pieces.

Quote:
I’m not sure that’s the one I originally saw, but right there is the definition of night and day. Though not as drastic, it sort of reminds me of the other recently released Wonder Woman piece.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:55 AM   #149
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
I don’t know. Maybe they need better sculptors (but again I really do like this Aquaman sculpt), maybe they need to start using translucent resins for all their actor based facesculpts, or maybe they need to pay for better paint apps.... or all of the above. I know some collectors don’t like the translucent materials, but when used appropriately you get some very good skin representation on quite a few Prime 1 and Iron Studio pieces.

Doesn't p1 use face scans of actors to capture likeness's, maybe SS needs to go that route, i can only imagine how difficult it is to sculpt a likeness by hand.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:57 AM   #150
ukshaun
Hercules

The Aquaman likeness looks pretty good to me.

My main gripe is proto vs production. With SS i have no choice but to wait for in hand images to surface.

My SS pre_order days are over. If SS could up their game and match XM, Prime 1, Hot Toys, i'd pre_order Catwoman, Domino, Aquaman now. For the moment i have 4x PF's on pre_order, and it's fingers crossed they turnout good.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote