Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 05-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #21
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytiger View Post
Sorry have to disagree with you there,( I don't think it is over priced?) as for the money their is no way the quality of the that Bowen piece beats the Quality on the this X-men sideshow piece..And to say nobody beats Bowen is crazy talk. I love Bowen too but they made some big time errors..Thamos on the throne for example..
Funny, since you bring up one piece that you think is a quality miss, lets compare the number of quality misses sudeshow has to bowens and tell me who more consistently produced a better quality product. No contest. And before anyone brings up XM lets see how they di after 600 or so pieces. And i never said bowen 'beat' SS in the cyclops & colossus comoared to the cable. I happened to think they are both excellent pieces (and i had the cyclops & colossus exclusive).
Old 05-23-2015, 01:33 PM   #22
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
As someone buying Bowen statues lately, I can say, yes, they are expensive, but they are worth it, IMO.... so.... what is your point?
Quote:
Well, yes, it can be an expensive hobby.... but this isn't about buying commodities, so I still don't get the issue. Just don't buy stuff you don't need that is too expensive. Done.
Quote:
I know you've gone through some crap with some of your purchases, but good grief, you've become just such a wet blanket. Perk up girl!
I don't understand your comments. Are you trying to be funny?
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #23
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerbone View Post
It's an expensive hobby. Remember, hobby. It's not for everyone and not in everyones price range but thats why there are different tiers of collectibles. You have Koto with the 1/10 artfx plus price point. The 1/6 price point is a step up and then 1/4. Pcs is coming in at the 1/3 price point now too. As much as we would like to think this is accessible to everyone, it isn't. You have to choose what fits within your budget. Its dependent on the collector. Bottom line is, people are still buying at all these price points, so the demand is there. It won't change. It's up to the collector when to walk away.
A hobby does not have to be expensive. In fact, it never was. It is in the last few years that prices have skyrocketed due in part to the demand, and also to the higher cost of manufacturing. One thing that has not changed, is the thriving of middle men making a quick buck with those unwary newcomers into the hobby. That I wouldn't mind to go away but I am not naive. It is never going to change.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #24
TethMau74
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

The comic book movies are giving more exposure to these characters which increases popularity and demand. Retailers are capitalizing on the popularity but some are taking advantage of it by price gouging. Keep in mind that they can only sell at that price if someone is willing to pay it.
TethMau74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #25
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TethMau74 View Post
The comic book movies are giving more exposure to these characters which increases popularity and demand. Retailers are capitalizing on the popularity but some are taking advantage of it by price gouging. Keep in mind that they can only sell at that price if someone is willing to pay it.
Exactly. You have to be patient and set limits when a coveted piece comes around. Be willing to pass this time and wait for the next time. As quickly as some of these auctions' prices rise, I swear the lister is using secondary accounts to drive it up artificially. Or maybe statue owners of said pieces bump up the bids to keep their collection's value high. It's a sad thought to entertain, but it crosses my mind a lot these days.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #26
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
I don't understand your comments. Are you trying to be funny?
What's funny about my comments? When I'm being funny (I don't try), it's pretty obvious with my smilies

Another hobby of mine (coral reef aquariums) is the exact same way with "collectibles" and prices... so this really isn't anything new to me. Maybe it's new to you? Not to me anyways....

Hobbies that involve limited numbers of items that people can't re-create can become expensive... how is that difficult for you to understand?
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #27
adee
Green Arrow

I may not understand the thread. The OP has secondary market prices for long sold out items but some are arguing retailer prices.

Those Bowen examples are on the high side but they are hard to find these days. Like TethMau74 said, once something is sold out it's worth what you're willing to pay.

As for the companies and retailers I think they are going bat---- crazy. Unfortunately the same rule applies.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #28
SDguy

Quote:
A hobby does not have to be expensive. In fact, it never was. It is in the last few years that prices have skyrocketed due in part to the demand, and also to the higher cost of manufacturing. One thing that has not changed, is the thriving of middle men making a quick buck with those unwary newcomers into the hobby. That I wouldn't mind to go away but I am not naive. It is never going to change.
Oh, and BTW, feel free to link me to anyone selling all Bowen statues for their original retail price... I'd be happy to support them <- note smilie.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #29
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
What's funny about my comments? When I'm being funny (I don't try), it's pretty obvious with my smilies

Another hobby of mine (coral reef aquariums) is the exact same way with "collectibles" and prices... so this really isn't anything new to me. Maybe it's new to you? Not to me anyways....

Hobbies that involve limited numbers of items that people can't re-create can become expensive... how is that difficult for you to understand?
Quote:
Oh, and BTW, feel free to link me to anyone selling all Bowen statues for their original retail price... I'd be happy to support them <- note smilie.
I am sorry, but you are confusing me with someone else. I can assure you that I've been a Bowen collector far longer than you, and of many other collectible items as well. None of these is news to me.

Let me be clear with you so you don't loose your way. A condescending attitude will not help you to make many friends around here. Friends will always come to the rescue when you need a good deal (take note). I have aquired many Bowen pieces under retail over the years by only asking friends around. Being nice to people, and that includes the way you approach them through a written post, will always open doors for you. But if you act like an a$$, you pretty much will always have problems finding what you want for the right price.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:32 PM   #30
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
I am sorry, but you are confusing me with someone else. I can assure you that I've been a Bowen collector far longer than you, and of many other collectible items as well. None of these is news to me.

Let me be clear with you so you don't loose your way. A condescending attitude will not help you to make many friends around here. Friends will always come to the rescue when you need a good deal (take note). I have aquired many Bowen pieces under retail over the years by only asking friends around. Being nice to people, and that includes the way you approach them through a written post, will always open doors for you. But if you act like an a$$, you pretty much will always have problems finding what you want for the right price.

And very quietly, very subtlely...JP unleashed..
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote