Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink View Post
Idiots
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
Teague
Iron Man

Honestly, I think this is a great idea. Legalize it in small ways, regulate it so it stays out of the hands of young people, tax the hell out of it so it benefits the public at large, and stop filling up prisons and taking the time of law enforcement and courts because of a substance that's less harmful than alcohol and less addictive than either alcohol or tobacco.

It says something that the biggest opposition to this movement in CO was the alcohol lobby. They want their status as the only legal intoxicating substance provider protected. Why? Money. That's it.

Prohibition didn't work for booze; it hasn't worked for marijuana.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
biglebowski9999
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post

The Dude abides.
biglebowski9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #15
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Honestly, I think this is a great idea. Legalize it in small ways, regulate it so it stays out of the hands of young people.
Great point. I have never seen anyone underage get access to alcohol.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #16
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Great point. I have never seen anyone underage get access to alcohol.
Ha! True, but that sort of proves the point. There are a ton of ways for kids to have access to anything; kids get tobacco, alcohol, and pot, and more. But it's easier to regulate their access if there are standard channels of dissemination, as there are for alcohol and tobacco. It's actually easier for kids to get pot right now, because most sources are already illicit. Legalize and regulate those sources, and access gets a lot more limited.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Honestly, I think this is a great idea. Legalize it in small ways, regulate it so it stays out of the hands of young people, tax the hell out of it so it benefits the public at large, and stop filling up prisons and taking the time of law enforcement and courts because of a substance that's less harmful than alcohol and less addictive than either alcohol or tobacco.

It says something that the biggest opposition to this movement in CO was the alcohol lobby. They want their status as the only legal intoxicating substance provider protected. Why? Money. That's it.

Prohibition didn't work for booze; it hasn't worked for marijuana.
All great points. Maybe Canada can get back to "decriminalizing" it now. It was imminent 5-10 years ago but pressure from the US government stopped the process. I am not a user and never have been but I totally endorse Teague's rationale. There also needs to be a legal framework and testing protocol in place for dealing with people who drive under the influence of marijuana.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
All great points. Maybe Canada can get back to "decriminalizing" it now. It was imminent 5-10 years ago but pressure from the US government stopped the process. I am not a user and never have been but I totally endorse Teague's rationale. There also needs to be a legal framework and testing protocol in place for dealing with people who drive under the influence of marijuana.
Yeah, for what it's worth, I don't use pot either--tried it, didn't like it much.

I do think that it being a "gateway drug" has more to do with its criminalization than its actual effect. The substance doesn't cause someone to go try other drugs--the infusion into the illegality of it does. Once you've tried one banned substance, it's easier to let yourself do more. Decriminalizing marijuana would take all that out of the equation.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #19
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

The only way this will ever "work" is if it becomes legal on a federal level. Until then, hundred of thousands of tax dollars are going to be spent on ridiculous court cases. I think if it was regulated and taxed, the nation could benefit. If I'm not mistaken, this is something Obama said he would get around to, but didn't. Here in Arizona, pot was legalized for medicinal use, but the feds have prevented any dispensaries from opening. I honestly don't think it'll happen anytime soon. Maybe CO and WA will help but only time will tell.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #20
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyrob View Post
The only way this will ever "work" is if it becomes legal on a federal level. Until then, hundred of thousands of tax dollars are going to be spent on ridiculous court cases. I think if it was regulated and taxed, the nation could benefit. If I'm not mistaken, this is something Obama said he would get around to, but didn't. Here in Arizona, pot was legalized for medicinal use, but the feds have prevented any dispensaries from opening. I honestly don't think it'll happen anytime soon. Maybe CO and WA will help but only time will tell.
We have dispensaries all over Denver. Some municipalities have outlawed them within city limits but I'm betting there will be a legal challenge now that it will be legal. This fight isn't over. IMO, what people do in their own home is their right and I want government out of it as much as possible. But I realize this country is still about the majority and until the majority are on the other side of the fence it will be a challenge. And just like alcohol, if someone is driving high they should face the same penalties and driving drunk.