Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-03-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

I just bought a region free DVD player

And a real nice one too, so now I can replace my regualr DVD player, and have something that plays dvd's from other countries. For my first purchases I got Danny The Dog (region 3 special edition, known as Unleashed here in the states), Ghost in the Shell Innocence Region 2 spec. edtion (not yet released), Kung Fu Hustle region 3 special edition and the the sweetest thing ever, this, which my fellow anime nerds can appreciate:

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/19637.html
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

You can't beat a region-free DVD player. That's the first thing I look for in a player! The second being the 'on' switch, but that's more a practical thing.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:14 PM   #3
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief
You can't beat a region-free DVD player. That's the first thing I look for in a player! The second being the 'on' switch, but that's more a practical thing.

yeah J, no doubt. You're gonna have to give me some good british movie recommendations. I wanna see that holligan movie w/frodo in it, have you seen it yet?
Old 09-03-2005, 12:16 PM   #4
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson
yeah J, no doubt. You're gonna have to give me some good british movie recommendations. I wanna see that holligan movie w/frodo in it, have you seen it yet?
Not yet, but being a big football fan I'd like to. I don't know how much use I'll be to you - we don't get to the cinema as much as we'd like, sadly. Plus our taste tends more to the American side of things than British films (or TV for that matter). Shaun of the Dead excepted, of course.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:18 PM   #5
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

How come you went region 3 for Kung-Fu Hustle, by the way? We really wanted to see that, but our cinema didn't show it at weekends!
Old 09-03-2005, 12:24 PM   #6
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief
How come you went region 3 for Kung-Fu Hustle, by the way? We really wanted to see that, but our cinema didn't show it at weekends!
the HK release is uncut, more blood and stuff. The US dvd has been butchered by the folks at Disney (cough, SATAN, couch) who buy the US rights to a lot of HK movies, fu$# them up royally, then rerelease them here in the states. That's the main reason I bought a region free DVD player.

Danny the Dog (aka unleashed) is also uncut in the European release (and the HK release), and relased a lot earlier than in the US (US dvd isn't out until Oct).

Gots to get my Kung Fu yo...

Oh yeah, and I caught Shawn of the Dead the other day on cable, damn, that was pretty funny.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:26 PM   #7
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

How do the languages play out on that Region 3 release?
Old 09-03-2005, 12:28 PM   #8
leks
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Good for you Sam, makes life a whole lot easier if you ask me
leks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:50 PM   #9
badlieut
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Here are some recommendations: Equilibrium from Korea--awesome DTS track, Hulk from Brazil--DTS and a better cover w/ green case, Boondock Saints from Japan--uncut, slightly bloodier, Army of Darkness--Region 3, uncut, has the topless shot, Terminator 3 Region 3 DTS track, Last of the Mohicans from Brazil--only way to get theatrical cut, Spaced from UK--funny ass TV show.
badlieut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:59 PM   #10
Scottsdale Saint
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

just picked up a all regions player myself-well technically it was a R1 player, the philips 642 player from best buy for 53.99 but it's notoriously easy to hack to make it an all region player. it's only a five button remote hack, and voila, you can play dvd's from anywhere.

my recommendations would be:
Iron Monkey-better than Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Infernal Affairs
Oldboy-awesome revenge flick.
Shaolin Soccer-another one that the R1 is cut.
Ong-bak-has an amazing amount of extras, the soundtrack is unchanged and of course, it's uncut.
Scottsdale Saint is offline   Reply With Quote