Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > CKinSD Conventions

Old 04-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
gman
Kindly Asked To Leave

i could have had it for $150 but passed when i saw the damage. i am glad this guy got it cuz he was like 2 minutes behind me on the statues. i asked the seller if they were "mint in box" and of course he said they were but did allow us to open the boxes. The THanos was clearly displayed and had some funky stuff on his back collar/neck area. Other than that it looked ok but i did not examine the base.
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
IronFist
I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography.

heh. I was standing right there when Bill finished that Elektra.

I was also walking by when Thanos was being bought.
IronFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #13
ratchet
Mandarin

I went on Sunday...

I knew it was a long shot to ask Mignola for a Hulk head sketch - but the person right in front of me asked if they could get a Hellboy sketch - he smiled and said "Sure!" - so I thought I had a shot...

I explained my quest to get art from every artist who has ever drawn on the Hulk - had him sign one of his Hulk comics and asked if he would sketch me a quick Hulk - he replied with "I don't sketch at conventions".

The people who just got the Hellboy was standing right next to me - showing off the sketch!

I looked at them - then back at him. He pushed my comic toward me and said "Thanks for coming"

I think I offended him by asking him to draw something other than Hellboy - that was not my intent at all. Mignola drew the Hulk for a few issues - I thought he'd get a kick out of seeing some of his older work being admired - but I guess not.

Starlin was fun to talk to - Bill Sienkiewicz was drawing a bad-ass Wolverine. I didn't get on any other of the big names lists - was a bit bummed by the Mignola encounter - so I sulked for too long and then it was too late after that...
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #14
tedmic
What's another word for Thesaurus?

ratchet, sounds to me like Mignola may lack some people skills. I guess it would have killed him to sketch you the Hulk. How was the crowd there on Sunday?
tedmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #15
ratchet
Mandarin

The crowds weren't bad at all - that's why I like going on Sunday - but yeah, the Mignola meeting bummed me out - and it was the first thing to happen...
Old 04-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #16
gman
Kindly Asked To Leave

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmic View Post
I almost didn't go to this show but glad I did. Got there at 9:20 am and there were already about 100 people in line. Picked up a Bowen Thanos statue for $170 and War Machine MB for $40. Long line for Jim Lee as well. Left about 12pm and there was a LONG line of folks on to the street still waiting to get in!
good luck with the Thanos flip on the bay!
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #17
IronFist
I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography.

Mignola opted not to sketch for me as well, though not in quite so spectacular fashion.
IronFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #18
rychehitman
Galactus

you should have then asked him for a quick Hellboy sketch...then when he slid it back to you...erase it right in front of him.
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #19
pmpknface
The InJustice League

I got to the con a bit later than I wanted, maybe 10:45-ish, and had to wait over an hour to get in, but it was worth it. Yes, the line was slow and the wind certainly didn't help much but I still had plenty of time to get done what I wanted too.

They were shuffling people into the con in groups of maybe 75 at a time, and the issue was that the room only held so many so after it's at capacity it's 1 in, 1 out. If you leave, you have to get BACK IN LINE to get back in. At 3:30 when I left, the people at the front of the line had waited 2 HOURS to get in.

The way it was set up was pretty nice. Walk in, and on the left were 80% of the indy press / artists. Walked right over to my friend Jack Purcell (inker) and said hi. Got him to sign my Guardians of the Galaxy #9. Watched Steve Rude do a killer Thor commission and then got 2 books signed. Sergio Aragones was very nice, signed my "Destroys the MU" book. Mignola's line was short, but picked up quickly.

Let's see...

- Michael Golden didn't show.
- Looked for Mike Huddlwston, didn't see him
- Got Ben Templesmith to sign my CHOKER and bought a tpb of Wormwood v2, and he quickie sketched in it. Great guy.
- Bill Sienkiewicz signed 3 plates from portfolios I have: The Shadow, Moon Knight, and Superman #400. I've already got my Sienk Elektra piece framed on my wall.
- JH Williams III was super nice, too late for a sketch though. Signed my Promethea HC and WARLOCK #1.
- Billy Tan signed 2 Uncanny's for me.
- Norman Lee signed a Dr Doom mini #1 from last year.

Then, I went shopping. Saw a few nice Golden Age books, but didn't pull the trigger. I soooo wanted a sweet FLIGHT COMICS #10 I saw (look it up). Instead went mostly bargain shopping. Picked up:

- 12 FF's between 101 - 190, now I only need 2, 3 to have from 100 & up. Mostly $5 a pop, one was more.
- 18 Master of Kung Fu's (need 23 now), some were Giant Sized - no more thant $2 a piece
- 3 Marvel Chillers, Tigra
- Strange Tales #124, $5
- Marvel Feature #2, #9 - $5 each (nice shape too!)
- No Brand Echh #1
- Nick Fury #12, BWS cover
- Peter Porker #1 for a buck
- Moonshadow 1-12, all for $12
- 7 Marvel Previews
- 3 Marvel Treasuries

and the find of the day....

Marvel's the LIFE OF POP JOHN PAUL II for $5 in sweet condition.

Oh, parking was a 5 min walk away for $11 all day. Totally worth it. PLENTY of room too.

Also, there were a ton of costumes which I always love to see. Most (not all) weren't too overweight for it too. Bad Zatanna, good Slave Princess Leia.
pmpknface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #20
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
you should have then asked him for a quick Hellboy sketch...then when he slid it back to you...erase it right in front of him.
Now that would have been hilarious...