Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

View Poll Results: Would you take your grail piece of art over the cover to Action Comics #1?
Grail 1st appearance art 10 43.48%
Action Comics #1 10 43.48%
Hey I don't count because Superman is my favorite character. 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #31
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by predaking007 View Post
If the question is "do I take my grail comic book art or a few million dollars?", I take the millions. If you say the comic art, you've clearly lost yourself in this hobby.

If the question is "do I take my grail art or another piece of art worth 2x - 3x more?". I would take my grail art.
Why would it be that you lost yourself in this hobby? They always say money doesn't buy happiness. I'm not religious but if anyone is a true Christian then you should feed and clothe your family and every other dime should go to help others, not vacations, not art, not statues, not anything.

Anyone who makes a good living already, what could a few millions dollars do for you in the long run. Sure you can get a better house, a nicer car, buy a lot more junk that you didn't truly want anyways. If you give me any of that bull about helping your family, then why are you buying art or statues now?
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:31 AM   #32
predaking007
Death is hereditary.

Lets see what I could do for a few millions:

1.) not work for the next decade.
2.) pay off my house
3.) startup a business without a loan
4.) Buy a yacht
5.) live like a king in another country

What does comic art do beside hang on the wall? At the end of the day, it's just paper and ink. A million dollars is a lot. If you're filthy rich, (earn 20 million/year), you might take the art instead because a few million more won't do much. To the rest of us who make under $250k/year, a million should bring a hell of a lot more happiness than holding onto paper and ink.
predaking007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #33
bane
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Would go for the Detective comics nr 1 Or Hulk nr 1 , don't think if I ever owned such a thing I couldn't get it over my heart to sell it anyway !
bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #34
Underdog07
Hercules

money for me
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #35
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Probably the first appearance of Hal Jordan as GL.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #36
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
Those same people spend thousands on collectibles all year long, wouldn't that help there family too? I guess you should also take into account the financial situation of the poster. I'm sure someone like David Mandel would rather have a grail cover then money since he has plenty already.
You definitely have to take that into account. We each make different ammounts and we all have different responsibilities.

I think its safe to say that you have way more disposable income than most. I may or may not make more money than you but I have way less disposable income. I have 4 mouths to feed and clothe, mortgage, car payment, retirement/savings, kids college funds, etc, etc.

If I could sell a cover for millions, I could pay off my house, cars, and not have to worry about my kids college funds.

This would free up a ton of money each month and then I'd have more money for hobbies and vacations.
MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #37
Hulk5150
Death is hereditary.

I guess I don't see how one answer over the other will define whether you're a "true collector" or not.

When I read the options, the first thing that popped in my mind was that I would take the Action Comics #1 in a heartbeat so I could sell it and buy EVERY grail on my list and STILL have lots left over for even MORE Hulk stuff!
To me, THAT'S collector mentality.
(It's also drug-addict mentality, but that's a conversation for another thread, I'm sure)

Quote:
I'm not religious but if anyone is a true Christian then you should feed and clothe your family and every other dime should go to help others, not vacations, not art, not statues, not anything.
Well, I guess if you're not religious then you wouldn't know what a true Christian should do. And there's nothing in the Bible that says anything about giving every other dime away.

Quote:
Anyone who makes a good living already, what could a few millions dollars do for you in the long run. Sure you can get a better house, a nicer car, buy a lot more junk that you didn't truly want anyways. If you give me any of that bull about helping your family, then why are you buying art or statues now?
Buying art or statues: One person enjoys it.
Buying a boat, a pool, or new house, etc.: Everyone enjoys it.
This has nothing to do with being a "true" collector; it has everything to do with not being selfish.

Besides, perhaps some people would actually use the money to ensure financial stability for their family (kids, grandkids, etc.) after they pass away instead of hanging it on a wall or parking it in their garage.
Hulk5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #38
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk5150 View Post
I guess I don't see how one answer over the other will define whether you're a "true collector" or not.

When I read the options, the first thing that popped in my mind was that I would take the Action Comics #1 in a heartbeat so I could sell it and buy EVERY grail on my list and STILL have lots left over for even MORE Hulk stuff!
To me, THAT'S collector mentality.
(It's also drug-addict mentality, but that's a conversation for another thread, I'm sure)

Well, I guess if you're not religious then you wouldn't know what a true Christian should do. And there's nothing in the Bible that says anything about giving every other dime away.

Buying art or statues: One person enjoys it.
Buying a boat, a pool, or new house, etc.: Everyone enjoys it.
This has nothing to do with being a "true" collector; it has everything to do with not being selfish.

Besides, perhaps some people would actually use the money to ensure financial stability for their family (kids, grandkids, etc.) after they pass away instead of hanging it on a wall or parking it in their garage.
I said I wasn't religious that doesn't mean I don't know about religion. Jesus would give his shoes to a homeless man and do without. So it is what a christian would do IF they followed the true way of Jesus Christ. I'll let you know when I finally meet one.

I thought this would be a fun fantasy topic, not real life, I guess you would have a fire sale and take the money and run. It's not like the Action Comics #1 Cover wouldn't hold it's value. I'm guessing if you guys won the lottery you would take the lump sum as well instead of waiting and getting the full amount.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #39
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Believe me I understand the logic in selling it. But I also see how the people on this board are consumed with collecting. The idea of having the ultimate collectible is easy to resist for a lot of you.

Anyways I don't want to get into personal finances of the people on the board. Otherwise this is going to turn into a bad scene instead of a fun one. Carry on.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #40
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

I think my grail if money was no option would be the first Wonder Woman or the cover to Sensation Comics #1 or the Wonder Woman #1 Cover. I think the history would be to much for me to pass up on with the Wonder Woman. I feel like a traitor to Spider-Woman.....