Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 06-12-2006, 10:51 AM   #1
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

Blackhole Stormtrooper -- Post Mortem

Okay, last week Gentle Giant earned my wrath due to the meltdown that was the Blackhole Stormtrooper fiasco. I've had a few days to cool off and start to put things into perspective.
Was it the worst exclusive experience ever? I don't know. For me it was, but then again I wasn't in on the Gold Bucky and phasing Vision, and have pretty much lucked out with Sideshow, either by getting through or having wait list conversions (although I don't think Grey Hulk/Spidey is gonna come home ).
However, in business I always find it's helpful for companies to do a post mortem to decide what when right or wrong, so that next time is more successful. Hopefully GG is doing just that.
Here's one from the collectors' perspective though.
1. This should be a wakeup call for Gentle Giant to come up with a better online ordering solution: for example one that pre-populates information for registered purchasers, so orders aren't kicked out for invalid reasons (credit card not matching up with address, etc.) This will also speed the ordering time for folks and free up GG's bandwidth for all the incoming calls.
2. GG should also have a backup "wait list" so that once cheaters and double dippers are weeded out others who did wait in line can still get a chance(yeah, I know a lot of people use friends, families, etc., but this should help). Also, once the flip market cools off, some folks tend to cancel because they won't get the 3x, 4x, 8x profits anymore. Maybe they should also consider "inclusives" if it works for SS.
3. Did anyone think for a moment that there wouldn't be a quick flip market leading up to this, which has been exacerbated by the experience? Does having this "help" or "hurt" GG? I don't know. On the "help" side, I guess you could say it creates buzz -- "hey, look we release busts and they can go up 3, 6, 10 times in value!" (Although most can still be had for less than retail). On the "hurt" side, it can frustrate new collectors, cause veteral collectors to throw up their hands and get out altogether, or tick off savvy collectors so that they start waiting for the larger run pieces to hit ebay and purchase them at lower than retail costs -- which takes profit out of the model for distributors and retailers, which reduces their support for GG products.
4. On the flip market -- Right now the market tolerance seems to be right under $400 (I see BIN's scoop up at $350 - $399, but sit @ $450 or so). I know these are the hardcore collectors who are just swallowing hard and deciding to take the hit before the price goes any higher. For me, knowing that I was one click away from getting a $65 bust, and having to now pay $400 for it because of a screwed up system is just too much to tolerate. I do think the market will cool, once this wave comes and goes (just like the SS 12" and PFs have -- remember the $299 Anakins, $1,200 Han exclusives, $600 phasing Visions). I kick myself for paying $350 for a regular Han PF, that I could get now for $200 only because I jumped the gun when I saw "sold out" and wasn't savvy to SS's process. I'm hoping this one will ultimately fall to $200, but that may not be realistic. The market will drive it, but we should know in a couple of weeks once some of the smoke has cleared, the folks who couldn't live without it have gotten theirs, and the flip market becomes more cutthroat. If there had been 2,000 of these, I wouldn't give it a second thought. 1,000 is a little tougher.
5. More to come -- it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that there is going to be a mad rush for Mara Jade if it's handled the same way (however because it's an original sculpt, I don't see that). The real rush though, will be for the additional ep III stormtroopers (expect at least 4 more variants, 2 colors, chrome, and holiday or something along those lines). I can only hope that GG has gotten their act together by then, or the runs are at least 2K.
6. You win some, you lose some -- ultimately, this is the philosophy I keep coming back to. Most of the pieces in the collection were purchased at or below retail. While I could make the case for amortizing in $400 because of the appreciation in value across the line, I just can't go that high on principle. Yeah I'll probably break eventually , but not at $400 I SWEAR!
7. Finally, it would be nice to see some letter of apology from GG and a commitment to fix the problems. I think it would go a long way to at least assuaging collectors' anger and frustration. Otherwise, eventually this is gonna come back and bite em, just like it does with other companies who forget that the #1 rule for success in biz is keeping your customers happy.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Some interesting points but did you have to go and call it a post mortem. I hate post mortems, always have.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #3
kirthew
Zot

Ummm... Flippers are customers too... I am extremely happy with Gentle Giant right now... I think that the system could be less clogged... but that is what happens when people get all their friends/family/mortal enemies to all sign up to hopefully get a shot at a mini bust... if Gentle Giant just put in a fee of 20.00 a year this would not happen...

What would you have done if you had your wife, mom, dad, and mother in law try to get this bust... and everyone was successful including yourself... now you have 5 Blackhole Stormtroopers... Isn't that a little greedy?
kirthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:42 PM   #4
Tattoo-S
Mrs. Wookie~'Venger's Girl~GORE Princess~Silly Sister~Beast Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirthew
Ummm... Flippers are customers too...
LOL You go Kirth~
Tattoo-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
What would you have done if you had your wife, mom, dad, and mother in law try to get this bust... and everyone was successful including yourself... now you have 5 Blackhole Stormtroopers... Isn't that a little greedy?
I've never even really thought in those terms. I could care less about trying to make extra cash on flipping busts and statues. I was only interested in getting one for the collection. Had I gotten through, as opposed to getting the rediculous message at the last screen, I would have been happy to have had the one. Then I would have looked back at the train wreck and felt badly for all the folks who got shafted and hoped GG fixed the problem. Simple as that.
I don't mind the "dialing for dollars" aspect of this as long as the playing field is kept even (which I think they did try to do), there is a wait list when they catch cheaters, and their system doesn't have the same error problems (which pre-populating could remedy). Hey, if I'm slower on the draw, I can accept that, but if the problem results from ineptitude in the system that's a different story. I do hope they get their house in order on this thing going forward. Whether they pay to join a club or not, there really is no excuse to put your customers through this kind of thing.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:06 PM   #6
draven
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Nex, I couldn't agree more. I've never complained about slow servers and clogged lines. This was much more than that. I too was caught in the last screen glitch. Not once, not twice, but three times I could get through the process only to get an error during the credit card authorization. I've never had this problem with ordering from SS or any other vendor. Not to mention, other exclusive purchases I've made from GG. Last week, I just shrugged my shoulders and said...."well, I just didn't luck out". This one won't create a huge hole in my collection and I'm not bitter. I'll have the same attitude if I don't luck out with a 501st. Some repaints are great, but I just don't see them as critical adds. I don't even have a problem with the flipping....more power to the guy that can make a buck to finance other purchases. It's a snatch, grab, and growl world we live in.

Mara.....completely different story. Great character and looks to be a great sculpt. Personally, I think demand will be even higher. I'll be plenty peeved if the same freakin errors come up and it will have me re-thinking the GG line moving forward.
draven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:45 AM   #7
toe
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Umm....ONE Black Stormtrooper please...

toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:39 AM   #8
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Quote of the year!

I dare you to go to rebelscum with that.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:55 AM   #9
JSA
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

I know of one individual who got SIX of the BHST busts.
Meanwhile, I got 0 BHST busts and I was there at 9am sharp.
I still blame GG's crappy servers, and I'm pretty jaded as far
as ordering directly from them ever again.

BUT, you win some, and you lose some, and that is the way
it goes sometimes. My life goes on...........

JS
JSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #10
cardfan
Frackin!

I keep hearing all the complaints about how bad the ordering process was, but I for one am glad GG gave us the chance. It would have been much easier for them not to bother at all! I do like the idea of a fee for the collectors club but don't think it will stop flippers.
cardfan is offline   Reply With Quote