Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > From our Bench

Old 03-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #51
SONICobra
Batman

absolutely awesome bro, where do you purchase your sculpting tools?
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #52
afreeman
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Thanks again for all this great info!
afreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #53
EPang
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
absolutely awesome bro, where do you purchase your sculpting tools?
Many thanks. I get my sculpting supplies (super sculpy/firm, milliput, armature wire, heat gun, sculpting dental tools, callipers, turpenoid, brushes, etc) from hobby lobby. The hardware tools (scroll saw, dremmel tool, armature support, wood, etc) from menards/lowes. I'm sure you can find most of this stuff from any general hardware store and hobbyist store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afreeman View Post
Thanks again for all this great info!
No problem
EPang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #54
EPang

I'm currently working on keying the other leg so no real update, but I thought I would post a pic that I was messing around with in photoshop. I added some color just to get a feel of what it might look like when finished.

Thanks again for all the support!

E
Old 03-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #55
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

looks pretty killah man.
i like it.
whats the scale?
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:06 AM   #56
Cree
Frackin!

that is freaking epic! I love the pose and the uniform design. Great, great work!
Cree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:43 AM   #57
THOR14
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Awesome work, man
THOR14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #58
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Honestly, EPang this thread is TOTALLY EPIC!! I haven't had a chance to go over it all more than once, but I have totally subscribed. I will have a dozen questions, but firstly I wanted to ask what's the benefit of keying some of the limbs?? Like the legs for instance. I am going to get into sculpting myself in the next little while, and I am just trying to get my head wrapped around it a bit. Also, do you mind if I ask how you get the Sculpey to adhere to the Apoxie??? Again this is fantastic work.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:34 PM   #59
EPang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicMenace View Post
looks pretty killah man.
i like it.
whats the scale?
Thanks bro. As it currently stands without a base it is about 16" so roughly 1:4 scale if using the 5'3" height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cree View Post
that is freaking epic! I love the pose and the uniform design. Great, great work!
Thanks. Just wanted to do something basic for the purpose of the tutorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR14 View Post
Awesome work, man
Many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post
Honestly, EPang this thread is TOTALLY EPIC!! I haven't had a chance to go over it all more than once, but I have totally subscribed. I will have a dozen questions, but firstly I wanted to ask what's the benefit of keying some of the limbs?? Like the legs for instance. I am going to get into sculpting myself in the next little while, and I am just trying to get my head wrapped around it a bit. Also, do you mind if I ask how you get the Sculpey to adhere to the Apoxie??? Again this is fantastic work.
Glad you're finding it useful. The process of separating your sculpture into different pieces can be for multiple reasons.
- Keying a sculpture is beneficial when going through a mold making and casting process. If you're planning on directly painting your baked sculpy statue, then it may not be necessary.
- Keying your work may also depend on the scale of the piece. I can fit a fully sculpted statue at 1:6 scale in the oven I use. For anything larger (1:5 - 1:4 scale) I need to cut off limbs to make it fit.
- if you want your sculpture to have alternate heads, hands, arms, etc. you'll need to have a basic knowledge of the process.
- I like to key parts to make it easier for myself when I'm refining and doing detail work in a finishing material like wax. I like to work on one arm/leg/whatever at a time.

The number of limbs I choose to separate varies from sculpture to sculpture (sometimes I don't cut anything, other times I have several separations). I went ahead and did all the limbs for this piece just to show what that might look like, but it wasn't at all needed.
I've found that the polymer clay (sculpy) will do a decent job of adhering to the epoxy if I use A thin layer of Vaseline before applying the clay.

Hope that answers your questions and thanks for looking!
E
Old 04-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #60
attom44
Frackin!

I would like to thank you for sharing your process and I know by reading it, I've learned a few new things today... Thank you!
attom44 is offline   Reply With Quote